Obtaining Elite Card On The Road

Old Sep 11, 06, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Obtaining Elite Card On The Road

I earned the entry level of Premier status in July and have had a devil of a time getting United to send me the actual card.

I am travelling for the next year or so, so I am regularly moving around. (My blog is www.knifetricks.blogspot.com).

I have repeatedly asked the call center CSRs to send my card to me in Thailand, where I am based, and you'd think I was asking them to parachute into Tora Bora. One CSR actually seemed frightened at the thought.

I offered to pick up the card at the United Ticket Office in Bangkok, to which a CSR responded, "Sir, we have no way of getting it there." I can think of two ways, one involving blue metal boxes found on most street corners and one involving winged metal cylinders. But that was a non-starter.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I making too much of getting the card? I just assume that it will be easier for me to use Star Alliance lounges if I have the card as opposed to a printout from united.com indicating my status.
Old Sep 11, 06, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.91+ MM, Hyatt Globalist
Paul, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I am not sure if you did a search, but I know that this topic has come up in the past, and I believe for the most part the results have been the same: the card is mailed to the address that they have on file in your records. With the sheer number of elite members of MP, it would likely be nearly impossible to send cards to each person at addresses other then that they have on file.

Is there anyone that is taking care of your mail for you that can retreive your card (assuming that it has actually arrived but there are other threads on that!)? If so, perhaps they can forward it on to you or scan it and fax/email a copy of it to you?
Old Sep 11, 06, 9:16 am

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by PaulKarl

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I making too much of getting the card? I just assume that it will be easier for me to use Star Alliance lounges if I have the card as opposed to a printout from united.com indicating my status.
I think a premier card will not get you into *A lounges.
Old Sep 11, 06, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hawkxp
I think a premier card will not get you into *A lounges.
Correct, you must be Premier Executive or above. Furthermore, I can't think of any advantages to even having the card, since it never really comes in use.

PS: Your blog link does not work for me.
Old Sep 11, 06, 9:40 am
Original Poster

I meant in conjunction with my RCC card, pursuant to this table:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,3113,00.html

Which is why I may be making too big of a deal about getting the Premium status card. But I noticed that, the last time I had status a few years ago, waiving the thing around would sometimes get me a perk I wasn't technically entitled to.
Old Sep 11, 06, 10:02 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Correct, you must be Premier Executive or above. Furthermore, I can't think of any advantages to even having the card, since it never really comes in use.
The only reason I carry my Mileage Plus card is for Easy Checkin, although I suppose a credit card would work equally well. If you're not flying in First then the Premier card may make it easier to get into the elite lines. But outside the USA I don't think you'll ever need your MP card. Your status is always printed on your boarding pass, and your boarding pass is canary instead of blue so there's no reason for the card to prove you're Premier. One thing you can always do if you need to establish your status in order to get into a *A airline clubroom is just print out the first page of your Mileage Plus summary. But I'm not certain what the requirements are for entry (whether it's Premier or Executive Premier or 1K). I'm pretty certain that if you're flying or upgrading to Business or First then you'll always have *A clubroom access, but it's the boarding pass they check - I've never been asked for my MP card. But I think I understand your urgency in wanting to have the card: I couldn't wait to actually see my first Premier, Executive Premier, 1K, Million Miler, etc!!! It does feel like an achievement.

Call customer service of Mileage Plus. Most of the agents there do understand how important it is to us to get our official "credentials".
Old Sep 11, 06, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulKarl
....Which is why I may be making too big of a deal about getting the Premium status card. But I noticed that, the last time I had status a few years ago, waiving the thing around would sometimes get me a perk I wasn't technically entitled to.
I am curious to know what unentitled perks you were able to muster with your Premier card. Sometimes I have trouble getting the perks I am entitiled to with a 1K card.
Old Sep 11, 06, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
I am curious to know what unentitled perks you were able to muster with your Premier card. Sometimes I have trouble getting the perks I am entitiled to with a 1K card.
I think that they key here is that it was a few years back. Remember, when elite status actually meant something?
Old Sep 11, 06, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
When i became 2P this past January it took 8 weeks for my Premier card to arrive And then I received a second one three days later....

Neverthless, my Premier card was useful to get into some "general" elite checkin lines, which was great, but no real benefit while traveling abroad. I did manage to use my RCC card to get into an LH Business lounge, but that had nothing to do with being a 2P... and my boarding pass showed *S as *A Silver.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: