FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Two things UA could do to make the RCC's better! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/600339-two-things-ua-could-do-make-rccs-better.html)

lucky9876coins Sep 10, 2006 5:24 pm

Two things UA could do to make the RCC's better!

Since I am somewhat bored right now, and was looking through my travel pictures from my trips to Asia last month, I saw some things UA could do to make the RCC's better, and learn from the Asians (aside from comfortable seating, great service, awesome food, free booze, massage chairs, etc.). ;)

For some reason, the second one reminds me of the penalty box at ORD. :D

I would just love to send the yahoo who screams on his cell phone in the RCC to it. ^

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :o

kb1992 Sep 10, 2006 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Since I am somewhat bored right now, and was looking through my travel pictures from my trips to Asia last month, I saw some things UA could do to make the RCC's better, and learn from the Asians (aside from comfortable seating, great service, awesome food, free booze, massage chairs, etc.). ;)

For some reason, the second one reminds me of the penalty box at ORD. :D

I would just love to send the yahoo who screams on his cell phone in the RCC to it. ^

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :o

It's an easy job.

How about these:

1) free wi-fi

2) free food like dumplings and Peking duck ;)

to begin with? :D :D

ozstamps Sep 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Throw a few Frag grenades into them all one night and start again is their best option. :)

I came back yesterday from Korea flying Korean Air. The BIZ lounge in ICN had a pile of free computers for use, and the usual endless booze and great food - large silver vags of steaming curried chicken etc -- better than most hotel breakfast buffets. Racks of current (complete) newspapers. A full shower set-up like Arrivals etc. The mind boggles at what the First lounge was like. :D

It can be (and is) done by others, and has been for years.

"United Airlines Domestic Red/Gray ® Carpet Clubs - - proudly designed by Siberian minimalist style gurus, "Vladimirs Of Volgograd" and operated by Aeroflot, to the very highest Russian specifications in comfort, super-stylish design, and leading edge luxury facilities like floor coverings, running water and optional flourescent lighting. Please bring your own booze, boorscht, all other foodstuffs, newspapers, computer, fax machine and your AT&T calling card. And don't even THINK about taking a shower, comrade." © 2006

Northbrook60065 Sep 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks For Making Me Laugh Out Loud!

:p Hey Ozstamps....I like your sense of humor! Everyone here in the business center at the RCC Terminal 1 is wondering what has me laughing so hard and wiping the Scotch off my nostrils! You should WARN us before you post something that funny! :D

"United Airlines Domestic Red/Gray ® Carpet Clubs - - proudly designed by Siberian minimalist style gurus, "Vladimirs Of Volgograd" and operated by Aeroflot, to the very highest Russian specifications in comfort, super-stylish design, and leading edge luxury facilities like floor coverings, running water and optional flourescent lighting. Please bring your own booze, boorscht, all other foodstuffs, newspapers, computer, fax machine and your AT&T calling card. And don't even THINK about taking a shower, comrade." © 2006

euslaner Sep 10, 2006 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps

Great, I flew Aeroflot last year and it made me pine for the carrots in the RCC. Wish I had some of them on those flights. On one flight, I could not tell what the "meal" was--looked like grits (but between Moscow and Novosibirsk?) and tasted like grits (no taste).

But overall, free wifi would be nice and anything more to eat would be nice too.

traumamed Sep 10, 2006 6:44 pm

I love it, ozstamps...classic. :D

In all seriousness though, I'm not too impressed with RCC. Granted I'm a newbie to this whole frequent flyer thing - just got my first ever status in July - but after checking out the DEN RCC for the $50 day pass, I found myself wondering why I would want to pay $400/year just so I could go in and pay the same amount for drinks as in a concourse bar, watch the same TV stations as in a concourse bar, use my laptop just the same as in a concourse bar, and have access to no food, complimentary or otherwise, besides of course some apples. Yes, it's more peaceful, and yes, I got that warm fuzzy feeling inside when I was in the RCC, but it doesn't seem like you get much that you can't get anywhere else in any major airport.

Fredd Sep 10, 2006 6:47 pm

I agree with a previous poster. Free the wifi and improve the food (to put it charitably).

If I were running the RCCs, I'd want to look into outsourcing options for the food. If, for example, McCormack and Schmick's can sell great $1.95 appetizers at Happy Hour [ http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/], I'd like to think that at least some of the RCCs (maybe not such smaller ones as BWI and PDX) could make their members happy and generate some liquor revenue.

mcgahat Sep 10, 2006 6:48 pm

1. free wifi
2. More space or at least brighten up the current space.

MJonTravel Sep 10, 2006 6:55 pm

1. Free wi-fi
2. Free booze

sfo_oak Sep 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
1. Free wi-fi
2. Free booze

Toddler free zones?

pkx Sep 10, 2006 7:10 pm

1. I concur 100%, free WiFi. I wonder how much kickback UAL gets from TMobile?
2. No second opinion yet, I've only been in a few RCCs. I did just buy a membership. Why? It's a quiet place to hang out, I do have "free" wifi access (company gives me an ipass acct), and I like to "give back" to FTers (I have not yet been able to do so, however... watch the RCC calendar for my hours in DEN/ORD & BOS late Sept!)

WindFlyer Sep 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
...free booze...

:confused: You're not talking from experience are you? ;)

OK, to your question:

1. Free Wi-Fi
2. Greater (and upward) consistency—a higher minimum standard for all clubs in terms of available amenities... I expect that there'll be some variation from club to club, but in the case of the RCCs, it's ridiculous: there are some nice and well-outfitted clubs, and then there are some just dumps :eek:

weero Sep 10, 2006 7:58 pm

• affordable wifi: per time, per use, or free alltogether
  • quiet zones - no cell phones, no kids, no people with issues, no babbling TVs

brahms77 Sep 10, 2006 8:03 pm

1. Free Wi-Fi
2. Some finger foods

lucky9876coins Sep 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
:confused: You're not talking from experience are you? ;)

Erm, of course not! ;)