RCC Advice

Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
I think the RCC is AWESOME!

I concur with what everyone has said about the domestic Red Carpet Clubs - especially when it comes to snacks.

And if you're comparing domestic clubs to what you've experienced from other carriers at International gateways...well, forget about it!

But I think your situation is a no-brainer: I'll get slammed here if I'm wrong, but I don't think ANYONE who has had an RCC membership AND travels as much as you intend to travel would give it up.

To be honest, I don't think that the concierges at most clubs are that helpful - in drastic circumstances I think your best bet is to get in line at the RCC while smoothing out your travel arrangements on your cell phone with the GS or 1K desk. They're the folks that will protect you best, IMHO...

The thing is, no matter how bad the snacks may be, or how congested or dated a club room appears, or how aloof the bartender acts, if you're sitting in the RCC you won't be tempted to wander out and sit at the gate, or in a telephone cubicle, or sit on the floor outside another club trying to get wifi. The RCC is always the best place to be before and between flights, unless you're dining at the airport.

So, if you're traveling a lot then get the membership (and bonus points!!!) now, and enjoy. The snacks will be as amazing as the club rooms: when you need them they're truly awesome! ^

If our paths cross please say hello. RCC's are a fantastic place to just enjoy a drink and make conversation!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by ajc1970
in Narita, i usually head to united's lounge, 4th-floor if i'm flying IFC, 3rd-floor otherwise (for biz class, 100k and prem exec flyers).

is the red carpet club there better than united's IFC lounge? how so? and can 100k members get in if they're on an IFC ticket (i ask that because at SFO, if you arrive on an IFC ticket and xfer for domestic travel, you can use the RCC lounge there)?
The RCC is the 3rd floor location you have been using as a *G/biz pax.

UA did have a seperate RCC location as well as a larger biz lounge when they had the old lounge location (which I believe is currently NW's lounge?). When they moved I think they just collapsed them down to one location. I cant remember if the larger Biz lounge in the old days was a RCC as well but at any rate...you have experienced the RCC at NRT already.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ivyspice
The world's nastiest cello-wrapped poundcake-type breakfast item (I'm not that picky, and these are gross)
I love those things! But I guess that explains why I had food poisoning this week...I will obviously eat anything.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Northbrook60065

But I think your situation is a no-brainer: I'll get slammed here if I'm wrong, but I don't think ANYONE who has had an RCC membership AND travels as much as you intend to travel would give it up.
I think Northbrook60065 has described the situation accurately in his/her post. ^

We have visited all of the clubs you mention, some more frequently than others, and consider the RCC a great option to have if you're flying a lot.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:39 pm

I think for heavy domestic flyers the RCC is a must even though I always complain the clubs can do better (because I believe they can) they are still a big help during irregular ops and doing a lot of time at ORD like I do they are nice because I can usually get a seat at the bar (which is very difficult at any other bar at ORD) and I can get pretty good and quick help in the case of any flight problems that come up and if you fly domestic and more specifically ORD enough it will happen. I think the same can be said for IAD.

I dont think you will get the discount based on future travel. As far as snacks, there typically is just enought to prevent you from saying there isnt anything. I do some time in US clubs and honestly....UA blows them away in that department so it could be worse even though I like the decor and atmosphere in the US clubs much better. I can deal with the snacks issue if they would just provide wifi but I know that will not happen as tmobile is probably giving them too much kick back to keep it.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:20 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KansasMike
If you need Wi-Fi, the fee-based T-Mobile in the RCC is generally better than fee-based "no name" Wi-Fi in most terminals.
regarding the T Mobile Wi Fi...I can't tell you how many times I have used T Mobile while traveling. For $29.99 a month, it is good at every Starbucks and every Kinko's. I can tell you I am not the only person that uses the Internet at Starbucks...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I'm in the RCC at MCO right now. It's a surprisingly spacious facility, given UA's relatively small presence here, and it looks like they're expanding. Free wi-fi too. ^

As for the snacks offered at the RCCs, I think they're adequate, especially in the early mornings, if you want a free continental breakfast when all the food places are still closed.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by shisochou
I'm in the RCC at MCO right now. It's a surprisingly spacious facility, given UA's relatively small presence here, and it looks like they're expanding. Free wi-fi too. ^

As for the snacks offered at the RCCs, I think they're adequate, especially in the early mornings, if you want a free continental breakfast when all the food places are still closed.

Interesting you think they are expanding the lounge in MCO? I would think it would be on the short list to be closed. It is spacious and feels even more so since there usually arent that many people in the club when I have been there.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Interesting you think they are expanding the lounge in MCO? I would think it would be on the short list to be closed. It is spacious and feels even more so since there usually arent that many people in the club when I have been there.
I agree about MCO.

Regarding the rest of the RCCs: yes snacks/food could be better but at most domestic airports, I'd much rather be in the RCC then outside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.