Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

no more E+ access for non-UA *A Gold/Silver? [MERGED THREADS]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more E+ access for non-UA *A Gold/Silver? [MERGED THREADS]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA1P/AA/B6
I'd would be good practice to let *G/*S be allowed in E+, however they would only be able to select seats at the gate if no more paying folks or UA elites are vying for these seats.
I think it would be fair as there is no such thing a E+ on any other *A carrier.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
I was wondering about UAs reciprocity as LH refuses to even let UA *gold choose preferred seats in ticketed cabin. I tried for row 1 or 2 for an intra-europe flight on a LH 737 (continuation of an international a Z fare itin.) but was told that those seats were reserved only for LH Senator and above. At time of my booking, there were no reservations in the agentsn computer for any LH Senators.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Same goes with TG flights. I went from ICN - HKG on a *A award ticket, and all my seats on the UA flights were fine. I called TG to switch my seats, and unfortunately they wouldn't let me switch them to anything 'premium'...which seemed like a joke.

-jeremy
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
If true, would be a very positive development in my opinion. On LH was laughed at when I asked for premium seating as a 2P.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kdeg
I was wondering about UAs reciprocity as LH refuses to even let UA *gold choose preferred seats in ticketed cabin. I tried for row 1 or 2 for an intra-europe flight on a LH 737 (continuation of an international a Z fare itin.) but was told that those seats were reserved only for LH Senator and above. At time of my booking, there were no reservations in the agentsn computer for any LH Senators.
Not sure about intra-European flights, but LH told me that *G gets preferred seating on tatl flights. Not that it means much, as the leg room is the same, though there are a handful of exit row Y seats, if you get there first...
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by chewy3
If true, would be a very positive development in my opinion. On LH was laughed at when I asked for premium seating as a 2P.
Nice. A spirit of true brotherhood in the alliance.

I for one would be extremely disappointed if this were true. I have went out of my way to fly United from Canada when travelling to the USA for this benefit alone. If it is removed, there is no discerning reason for me to fly United. How is that loss of revenue good for your airline?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by droopyUA
I'd would be good practice to let *G/*S be allowed in E+, however they would only be able to select seats at the gate if no more paying folks or UA elites are vying for these seats.
I think it would be fair as there is no such thing a E+ on any other *A carrier.
I agree with one modification. If the *A airline program that they belong to allows *G to pre-reserve the preferred seats then they should be allowed to pre-reserve E+.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Someone started a thread in the *A forum too, but this looks like the place to comment.

I HAVE been able to get "preferred" (front of Y cabin) seating on LH as a *G by calling reservations.

I would NOT like to see UA do away with E+ access for *G's because there is little doubt that it would result in a long, slow degredation in reciprocal benefits for UA with other *G airlines. How many E+ seats do these *G really fill on UA? I don't see equivalency between E+ and other carriers' premium economy, where the product is more than just a couple extra inches of legroom.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: MARR Plat, RCC, UA1K MM Nat EX Elite HH DIA 2 Bks B/Chip Stamps
Originally Posted by lhrgirl
yes london ground staff nice to be here thanks

Welcome aboard! Always good to have someone from the inside on here.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by anti_ice
I for one would be extremely disappointed if this were true. I have went out of my way to fly United from Canada when travelling to the USA for this benefit alone.
Me too. In fact, I've taken less convenient longhaul flights on UA (over Air Canada), where I wasn't willing to play Air Canada's ridiculous upgrade lottery, just because I was guaranteed E+ on UA.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:31 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Well UA Star Silvers and Golds don't get into the premium Economy cabins on NH and SK*, for example, so perhaps UA is just bringing their rules into adjustment?

* Not sure if NH's and SK's PEs offer anything over the extra legroom (and in NH's case, legrests) like nicer meals or better drinks that would seriously differentiate it from E+.
Totally irrelevant: SK's Economy Extra is a separate cabin; a separate class with different seats (wider) more legroom and enhanced service. It is booked in SK booking classes Y and S; basically full fare economy. As EBG (SK *A Gold) I do not get free access to this class, actually I have only flown it twice, as an op-up intra-European.

UA E+ is nice, and it certainly is a nice perk in addition to the *A miles for maintaining my EBG. But if UA discontinues E+ access for *A Golds I certainly would avoid UA. I usually fly transatlantic with SK. Before *A I usually connected to CO at EWR. As the fares I use (SK Q, H and V: mid-level economy) usually are similar on SK/UA, SK/CO and SK/AA combos (the latter obviously only applicable when transferring at ORD) I probably will avoid UA as neither IAD nor ORD are particularly convenient airports for transfers.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by kdeg
My two recent experiences as an Air Canada Super Elite (*G) on LH:
1) They autmatically assighned me row 1 on a 737 and Avro 85 (bad choice on this aircraft ) on a First Class reward ticket.
2) Just booked YYZ-FRA-CAI yesterday and when I phoned in and said I was *G they gave me and my wife exit row seats for the LH portion of the flights.

I concur with my non-UA colleagues that if true this is extremely short-sighted on UA's part and will result in loss of revenue to them (and comfort for me). I will frequently book on UA metal rather than AC to get E+ seating (even though I lose out on bonus miles). With this change, UA becomes more of a last resort.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by lhrgirl
yes london ground staff nice to be here thanks
Welcome lhrgirl! Always great to have UA staff participate.

I'll be heading there in a couple months, hope to have the opportunity of meeting you at the terminal!
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anti_ice
Nice. A spirit of true brotherhood in the alliance.
Not all of us are so uninviting! I agree it would be silly not to let non-UA *G into E+ on many levels, especially for LH pax given the tighter alliance between UA and LH. (And I'd hate to loose the LH RDM bonus!) But you know those bean counters... Nothing would surprise me.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
With regards to E+ seating ex Australia I was told last year that this was no longer a benefit for non-UA *G that could be reserved ahead of travel (this was told to me by the UA office in Sydney) - it was only available at the airport if seats were available.

However - the irony was that some travel agent chains (such as Flight Centre) were able to book non-status pax directly into that cabin at time of booking. I ended up in the E+ cabin because I had arranged my tickets through UA (processing a free upgrade for a domestic flight because of previous travel disruption) - and when I took my seat in E+ there were pax sitting around me that were non-status and told me they had booked through Flight Centre.

So from the Australian perspective, this is nothing new.

Interesting however that booking through expedia.com.au, the seat map allow you to reserve a seat (or did as of last week) in the E+ cabin with a note to say that 'status is required' - but does not ask for proof at the time.

Regards

LME FF etc etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.