Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule Change...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Schedule Change...

Mods: I am posting this question regarding an upcoming MR I have, but I'm posting about the fact that my itinerary has undergone a schedule change - so I think the post is more appropriate here on the UA forum (as my questions deal primarily with UA procedures, etc), but please move it as you see fit.

I'm booked in October for ATL-ORD-SNA-LAX-SFO-ORD-ATL in October, and when going into My Itineraries, along with the new look, my itinerary shows up with a note that it has had a schedule change. The MR was a same-day turn at LAX in the evening (taking the SFO-ORD redeye).

As of right now, the itinerary on the website is only showing the outbound flights, and it's showing me as re-routed ATL-ORD-DEN-LAX. The ORD-DEN segment is now on a 777 (never flown on one before, so I think I'd like to keep that segment). According to the new outbound flights showing on United.com, I now arrive at LAX at 6:26, as opposed to 7:15. It appears that I can still do LAX-SFO-ORD-ATL, but I'm wondering what my options are at this point. What are the rules regarding getting re-routed for a schedule change? My goal for this MR is actually the segments, as that is how I will reach lowly 2p this year - so would I be able to get any extra segments out of the flight? (I'm asking this from a ticketing policy, whether or not it would be allowed....if it is allowed, I can do the research and find possible additional segments). Would this re-routing restricted to the original fare rules?

I would like to call United soon to get the itinerary reconfirmed, but I figured I'd ask for input first as to whether or not there's anything I should be aware of (such as the possibility squeezing out an extra segment or 2) and/or what my options are in this situation. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Many around here take advantage of schedule changes to develop more lucrative routings. With that said, though, you usually need to demonstrate how the schedule changes impact your travel. It looks as though your travel will actually be easier (an earlier arrival), and since you're more interested in segments than miles (you'll lose just under 500 miles with your re-routing) I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find a way to add additional segments. I think your only justification would be that you booked the trip to maximize miles, so you'd like to change your routing. I'd imagine that it might be possible to substitute either SMF, SFO, SAN, or ONT for DEN and still be able to make your return flights. You might also want to consider asking about ATL-IAD-LAX - that's 500 miles more than what you're currently holding and you might be able to get a widebody for the transcon. It does cause you to lose one segment, though.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Now when I view the itinerary, a full itinerary with the returning flights also appears. With the latest itinerary, a few connections have actually gotten tighter: 46 minutes in DEN and 50 minutes for the turn around at LAX. I've found some possibilities on ITA that will give me up to 3 extra segments: ATL-ORD-DEN-COS-LAX-SNA-SFO-SEA-ORD-ATL.

My original itinerary was 6 segments....so is it even worth it to try to ask for that? I've found several options with 7 segments that still match closely with original flight times and I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to get one of those, but are there any official restrictions on re-routing that would prevent me from getting the above 9 segments? Does the new routing need to follow the original fare rules? I can't think of any "good reason" that would justify those extra segments other than being an FTer! Sorry for the mass of questions...I'm relatively new at this game!

Last edited by wfdeacs5; Aug 29, 2006 at 12:57 am Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
It never hurts to try - if you can get a good agent on the phone, then go for it! The tight connections provide some justification.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Could anyone give me some input on the redeye flight? I'll just be flying E-, so are there any aircraft that are particularly more or less comfortable? Some of my possibilities are:

777: UA 158, SFO-ORD
A320: UA 276, LAX-MCO
A320: UA 594, SEA-ORD
757: UA 634, LAX-ORD
A320: US 1454, LAX-PIT

Last edited by wfdeacs5; Aug 29, 2006 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM
If you seach this section for the words "schedule change" or "contract of carriage", you will find a few posts here about your "rights" when there is something that constitutes a "schedule change" as defined by the contract of carriage. That said, in a nutshell, United "can" offer you an alternative routing to your destination and you "can" accept it. If the alternative routing is not acceptable to you, you can get a full refund.

In reality, United may work with you on a routing that is not the most expedient to your destination, it is up to which agent you get. If you get one that is uncooperative, you should call back, but no matter what, DO NOT accept the schedule change that United has made unless it is what you want to fly. Once you accept the change, your options for a refund or changing the routing further have ended.

Let us know how you do.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

I hate to bump my own post, but I would like to know if there would be much of a difference flying the redeye segment on any of the following aircraft:

I'll just be in E-, so I'm not sure if there is any difference, but out of these options, is there a particular plane that would be recommended over another?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I'd probably say 777 > 320 > 757 in E-.

The 777 is 2-5-2 in coach, so if you get the sides then there is no middle seat. Also, if the 777 is the 3 class intl version then you'll have PTV's in Y if that matters.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by wfdeacs5
I hate to bump my own post, but I would like to know if there would be much of a difference flying the redeye segment on any of the following aircraft:

I'll just be in E-, so I'm not sure if there is any difference, but out of these options, is there a particular plane that would be recommended over another?
Oooh that's rough, a redeye in E-. I wonder how many UA FTers actually have had to sit in E- recently. The 777 has seatback video with a few channels, so when you find yourself unable to sleep, at least you'll have something to keep you entertained. See seatguru.com or the "where to sit" threads in this forum's FAQ for details on specific aircraft. Good luck!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
How is UA with granting original routing credit? I take advantage of schedule changes in the opposite way... I take the most direct routing possible. Then I go back to AA and ask for credit for my original routing, and always get it.

Less fuss, more miles/points/segs.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qasr
I'd probably say 777 > 320 > 757 in E-.

The 777 is 2-5-2 in coach, so if you get the sides then there is no middle seat. Also, if the 777 is the 3 class intl version then you'll have PTV's in Y if that matters.
Thanks so much for your input. As of my current flights the United rebooked me on, I'm in seat 27A on a 777 from ORD-DEN on the way out - and based on Seat Guru, that must be the 2 class Domestic version, since the Intl versions have the lavs in place of rows 27-29. As for the redeye, they have me in 19A, which I suppose could be any of the 3 configurations. But based on your input qasr in addition to jsgoldbe's, I think I'll try to stick with that redeye on the 777.

Is it worthwhile to look into upgrading the segment, or do I not have a chance having no status (but at least a MP member)? On United.com, I tried their Upgrade Calculator and it looks like it would take 10,000 miles to upgrade, which I am thinking about doing....thoughts on that? Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
How is UA with granting original routing credit? I take advantage of schedule changes in the opposite way... I take the most direct routing possible. Then I go back to AA and ask for credit for my original routing, and always get it.

Less fuss, more miles/points/segs.
....anybody tried this with UA? I'm interested to hear whether or not this would be worth the risk.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
....anybody tried this with UA? I'm interested to hear whether or not this would be worth the risk.
I haven't seen it reported on this board in the case of a schedule change in advance. Irregular Ops on the day of travel though--then it happens very often.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Well it doesn't look like I'm gonna get too far with this...I think the problem is that so many people have been impacted by the schedule changes that they're being really strict on letting people re-route without a very valid excuse. I had developed a perfect 9 segment itinerary, and the first agent I talked to carefully put everything in and I thought I was all set, but she finally said "Ok, well your original itinerary was 6 segments and this new itinerary is 9, so let me calculate what the new fare will be, in addition to a $100 change fee." I told her that there was no way I should have to pay a change fee for this, which she agreed to waive, but she said she would have to check with a supervisor. About 15 minutes later, she came back and said that they could not change the routing, so I told her I would look into things some more and call back later. I tried to get another agent, who immediately looked in the reservation notes and said that she saw that I had tried to re-route and was told that the number of segments could not be increased.

I guess that's the problem with calling and calling until you get a good agent, because they notate things on the reservation. Except for the short turn-around time at LAX (40 minutes), the routing they gave me is fine, I was just hoping to be able to squeeze some more out of it. It's hard to know exactly what the reservation notes say, and I'm still on the 777 red-eye based on some advice above. Unless someone experienced here wants to call on my behalf and try to talk the agent into re-routing, I might just have to stick with my 6 segments.

Thinking about the itinerary, however, I'm interested in possibly upgading the return flight (the redeye in particular). I've tried to do some searching, but obviously searches on upgrades return some pretty broad results. From what I've gathered, CR1's and SWU's are ideal....but as a GM trying to reach 2P for the first time, I obviously don't have any. Using the mileage calculator at United.com, I looked into upgrading the SFO-ORD redeye flight. It told me that I would need 10,000 miles to upgrade....which I think would be worth it, especially if it's a 2-class 777 which would move me up to F. I've read, however, that mileage upgrades depend on the fare class, and my ticket is a cheap L-class as opposed to full Y. Is it going to be significantly more for an L fare? Could anyone shed a little more light on my upgrade possibilities? Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
I looked into upgrading the SFO-ORD redeye flight. It told me that I would need 10,000 miles to upgrade....which I think would be worth it, especially if it's a 2-class 777 which would move me up to F. I've read, however, that mileage upgrades depend on the fare class, and my ticket is a cheap L-class as opposed to full Y. Is it going to be significantly more for an L fare?
L-fare upgrade for domestic flights should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.