FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Bump to business class on Swiss? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/594319-bump-business-class-swiss.html)

MrAOK Aug 24, 2006 8:46 pm

Bump to business class on Swiss?

I'm flying JFK-ZRH-Nairobi on Swiss using miles and there was no availability for business class.

I'm guessing if they have any upgrades to give away, they go first to Swiss and Lufhansa passengers. Anyone ever gotten one on a UA issued ticket?

the zrh-nairobi flight is on a plane that has no entertainment system. they give out dvd players in business and magazines in coach, according to one thread in the swiss section.

UA840 Aug 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by MrAOK
I'm flying JFK-ZRH-Nairobi on Swiss using miles and there was no availability for business class.

I'm guessing if they have any upgrades to give away, they go first to Swiss and Lufhansa passengers. Anyone ever gotten one on a UA issued ticket?

the zrh-nairobi flight is on a plane that has no entertainment system. they give out dvd players in business and magazines in coach, according to one thread in the swiss section.

I doubt you will have any luck. I have done that JFK-ZRH flight when it has been chalkers in Y and C/J and the op-ups (to F) certainly did not go to the UA MP elites (me). The op-ups are certainly going to go to the paying MM folks first.

Northbrook60065 Aug 24, 2006 9:12 pm

This may seem off-topic but your post presents an interesting interogatory: why pursue Swiss to the point of WL when other carriers provide transit to Africa, most especially LH?

Northbrook60065 Aug 24, 2006 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by UA840
I doubt you will have any luck. I have done that JFK-ZRH flight when it has been chalkers in Y and C/J and the op-ups (to F) certainly did not go to the UA MP elites (me). The op-ups are certainly going to go to the paying MM folks first.

Hey UA 840...sorry but your comment was posted while I was typing mine...what is a "paying MM"? It would be helpful for me to know in case I ever want to redeem a free ticket or an upgrade on Swiss. Thanks!

(This website is AWESOME)! :D

choster Aug 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Northbrook60065
what is a "paying MM"?

Miles & More, Lufthansa's FF program, which is also the "native" program of Swiss (as well as Austrian, LOT, and some others).

UA840 Aug 24, 2006 10:25 pm

what is a "paying MM"

What choster said.

(This website is AWESOME)! :D

It is indeed! ^

MrAOK Aug 25, 2006 3:38 pm

lh doesn't fly to nairobi

Lori_Q Aug 25, 2006 4:00 pm

MrAOK, are you checking frequently to see if Business award capacity becomes available on Swiss? The award search tool on ANA's site is really handy for this. PM me if you have any questions about using it.

MrAOK Aug 26, 2006 7:58 pm

it appears i can check award availability on united from the states to europe. however I can't find a way to check award availability from europe to nairobi.

I've joined lufthansa's Mileage and More program to try to check it, but they don't give you full access til you they mail you a card.

I've also issued in economy, which would mean i'd have to cancel and reticket. not sure how much more that would be

carbonchaser Aug 27, 2006 2:58 am

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to upgrade to business on Swiss, either in the fashion of LX (miles or SWus) or via the new Star system.

yes, it's before coffee and i am lazy