Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best International First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:39 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Okay everyone btches and moans about UA's intl F product. Here's the problem. Okay...the service/amenities do not compare to some of the big competitors (SQ, NH, even LH). But for me the most important aspect by far is the quality of the seat. United's F suite, particularly on the 747 (no/not as much light/noise coming from the damn galley), is extremely comfortable, with a respectable amount of space and seat features. I sleep quite well in it. Everyone goes on about LH's F...but the seat is crap! I'd rather take UA and sleep rather than take LH and enjoy their service --- and never go to sleep, arriving in terrible shape for morning meetings.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH's main asset is the FCT in FRA. LX is a better onboard product.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Having never flown SQ I can't personally comment, however my friend is still raving about it since the spring. So I guess it's pretty damn good!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
Cathay Pacific in 1st, 2nd & 3rd place, particularly through its Hong Kong IFC lounges - just awesome!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec, AA Gold-for-Life
Originally Posted by Northbrook60065
I'm a longtime FT lurker and fan, and I need some knowledgeable advice .I have some trips to Europe and Asia in the months ahead, and since I've already qualified for 1K in 2007 I'm curious if anyone has had recent experience flying First on any other carrier and found it to be more amazing than United's First Suite?)
Quite honestly many foreign business class (especially Asian carriers like SQ, CX and JAL) are better than United F.

I just did SFO>PVG and got a free upgrade from C to F at the gate. Personally, it was very underwhelming. I wouldn't pay a dime extra not to mention any additional MP points to upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by kenstee
Quite honestly many foreign business class (especially Asian carriers like SQ, CX and JAL) are better than United F.

I just did SFO>PVG and got a free upgrade from C to F at the gate. Personally, it was very underwhelming. I wouldn't pay a dime extra not to mention any additional MP points to upgrade.
I'm sorry...but you are absolutely crazy if you think that any of those C classes are better than a UA F suite. The service may be *slightly* better, but that does not make up for substantially less space, having to share your space with another person, and not having a completely un-angled, lie-flat, comfortable seat.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Welcome to FT, Northbrook60065 ^

Here's a recent thread in the Star Alliance forum discussing F across *A carriers.

Both there and here, as you may see, the consensus seems to be that except for the seat, UA F is pretty much underwhelming...
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
...but you are absolutely crazy if you think that any of those C classes are better than a UA F suite. The service may be *slightly* better, but that does not make up for substantially less space, having to share your space with another person, and not having a completely un-angled, lie-flat, comfortable seat.
OTOH, I would probably opt for NZ C over UA F to the South Pacific or LHR... plenty comfortable (for me) flat horizontal bed to sleep on, and significantly better service/IFE for those few waking hours
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
...United's F suite, particularly on the 747 (no/not as much light/noise coming from the damn galley), is extremely comfortable, with a respectable amount of space and seat features. I sleep quite well in it. Everyone goes on about LH's F...but the seat is crap!...
I agree that UA's Suite is nice and comfortable (if rather tired, poorly maintained, and dirty a fair amount of the time), and as far as seats go, a far better proposition than LH's seat...

...which is why it's sad that WHQ doesn't get that it could have a competitive product by providing better service and experience instead of spending millions of dollars in new 'hardware'.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Northbrook60065
Also, I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend in November and always figured that United's configuration is NOT conducive to traveling with someone unless you're sitting in 4EF or 5EF on a 747 (but I think that First Suites are fantastic for solo business travel)!
I think 1A/J on the 744 are the best seats when traveling with someone. It is quiet up front, you both have windows, and you really are not that far apart, laterally. I prefer row 2 when flying alone, but when with someone row 1 is the way to go.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
More mention needs to be made of LX (Swiss) - now that they are part of *A. Their Int'l F product is *excellent*. Easily the best US to Europe F experience, particularly on their LAX-ZRH route (or any route with their newest F product installed). Better than LH.

ZRH is a fairly major airport, and outside of MUC my preferred airport in Europe to transfer through. Anything to avoid LHR - especially nowadays.

- T
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tony, SQ does JFK>FRA. :P
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, EK PL
Good Recent Sampling

I just got back from JFK-FRA in SQ first, then FRA-HKG in LH first, then HKG-ZRH-JFK in LX first.

SQ certainly has a mystique to it in the nose of a 747. The girls are beautiful, the seat is luxurious, and I slept quite well. The IFE had the wrong month loaded though... Non existent ground services.

LH certainly has the best pre flight experience. Cant beat never seeing another non-first passenger, being the last to board, security proccess alone and being driven to your plane...

LX, to me, had a seat that was as comfy as SQ. The only real difference was no Connelly leather...ho-hum. Also, I found I felt like I had more personal space with LX. The seat across from me, though in all flights was empty, felt further away and less in my way on LX.

So, each player brings a different part of the experience to the table. Nobody hits it in every aspect. My food on SQ stunk. LH seats arent on the same level as the others. I really cant say a bad thing about LX though. 21 hours in a row with them and I couldnt have been happier. OK, one small complaint if I had to find one. The IFE controls are a little different than others. Every time I was confirming something in it, I would go to the 'help' section by accident. If thats my biggest complaint, I guess we can see who wins in my book. It was my first time with them in first and I will continue.

UA? AA? Business-First? Come on... They dont compare. But we already know that. Sure, I've slept great on all but CO's BF product, but they are simply missing more pieces of the experience than any of the other carriers in this discussion.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Tony, SQ does JFK>FRA. :P
Have you flown LX F? I'd put it up against SQ F any day.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by AirJunkie
...UA? AA? Business-First? Come on... They dont compare. But we already know that. Sure, I've slept great on all but CO's BF product, but they are simply missing more pieces of the experience than any of the other carriers in this discussion.
Good point ^

To me international F is not just about a good seat; it's about an entire experience... and UA, with the other domestic carriers, seem to miss that concept

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.