Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Boarding Passes for *A credit? What if need to keep?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

OK, it's been 7+ days since my flights on SAA IAD-JNB-CPT return. And no miles or EQM have shown up.

According to the UAL website, I must send them the original boarding passes.
( Even though I registered at purchase time on the UAL site, and even though I gave the SAA agents my M+ card/number to enter at each and every boarding pass pick-ups ( 4 of them) in both directions ).

I can understand why UAL wants the original boarding pass... but I need to keep them for Tax deduction purposes to prove I was on the flight!

Has anyone been able to convince UAL M+ to grant miles on *A partners with just copies of the boarding passes? Or shall I just consider these ( a lot ) of lost miles?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:08 pm

I've never heard of keeping boarding passes for tax deduction purposes. Actually, there is no amount spent on the ticket printed on boarding passes, so it wouldn't do you any good. Get a Customer Invoice/Receipt for your flights (the last page of a paper ticket) with the amount spent showing prominantly.

If you actually need the boarding passes for other reasons...eg. show that you were away from the country a certain amount of time etc., then make copies for the tax purposes.

I would wait another couple of weeks and if you still don't have the mileage posted, then I would send in the original BP's keeping a copy for my records.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Evrytania
I've never heard of keeping boarding passes for tax deduction purposes. Actually, there is no amount spent on the ticket printed on boarding passes, so it wouldn't do you any good. Get a Customer Invoice/Receipt for your flights (the last page of a paper ticket) with the amount spent showing prominantly.

If you actually need the boarding passes for other reasons...eg. show that you were away from the country a certain amount of time etc., then make copies for the tax purposes.

I would wait another couple of weeks and if you still don't have the mileage posted, then I would send in the original BP's keeping a copy for my records.
For charitable contribution tax deduction ( It was an earthwatch.org expedition, and transportation cost is tax deductable) , historically I've been told that I am required to have the receipt+ actual boarding passes to prove that I was physically on the plane. Receipt alone is meaningless as I could have cancelled and gotten a refund at a later date.

Likewise, "copies" of boarding passes are easy to fake.

That's probably the same reason why UAL *and* the Tax Folk want the actual boarding passes.

Last edited by kkirksea; Aug 9, 2006 at 8:17 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You could try faxing a copy of the BP to mileage plus. Some FFPs will accept this, others wont.

Otherwise if they insist on originals you could get an verified copy made by a Justice of the Peace (or whatever equivalent is in US).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:23 am

Whenever requesting missing credit for a *A partner, I've never sent my original BP. Like you, I have my reasons for keeping them. I've been able to get mileage credit like this several times already. Sent them color copies along with a letter detailing my flights/itinerary and got credited every time without any problems or additional inquiries.

Last time I did this was a few months ago, so they seem to still be taking copies, even though the "official policy" is the original BP.

Last edited by kuroneko; Aug 10, 2006 at 1:37 am
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:43 am

I don't know if it makes a difference, but for reference, the airlines I have successfully requested missing mileage credit for without my original BP are Lufthansa and Thai Air. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You could try faxing a copy of the BP to mileage plus. Some FFPs will accept this, others wont.

Otherwise if they insist on originals you could get an verified copy made by a Justice of the Peace (or whatever equivalent is in US).
My experience has been the same as Kiwi Flyer's. Faxes of the BPs have always worked as far as MP is concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.