How Long Does 3P Last?

Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K;
I see that I can "nominate" someone to 3p. I don't have anyone in mind..so may not use it. What benefits does a 3p get?
(I know I could look it up..but... )
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
It looks like E plus seating, priority in all the various queues, upgrade window of 36 hours, free upgrades with Y or B fares, but no free upgrade certificates or mileage bonuses.

I'm sure there are several people around here (me included) who would like to be your friend.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by workandski
It looks like E plus seating, priority in all the various queues, upgrade window of 36 hours, free upgrades with Y or B fares, but no free upgrade certificates or mileage bonuses.

I'm sure there are several people around here (me included) who would like to be your friend.
I will keep it in mind. I should check associates and family to be sure it would not be of benefit to someone.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MM
I think the cutoff is July 1

I made my nomination on 23 June, the very last day I could without losing the award, and the card came in the mail yesterday -- expires 28 Feb 2007, as had been stated in the email

I guess this is my punishment for reaching the award level too quickly -- if I'd gotten there 10 days later the 3P would have lasted throughout 07 and into 08. Seems like a program bug to me.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
Way different for 3Ps, as they really didn't do anything to "qualify".

If I recall correctly, I belive if it was gifted before June or July 1 (????) 2006, it would expire Feb 2007. After whatever the cutoff date was, than Feb 2008.
I waited until just after July 1 to nominate (I got the notification in June) and the 3P status shows as good through Feb 2008.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by jd2000
I made my nomination on 23 June, the very last day I could without losing the award, and the card came in the mail yesterday -- expires 28 Feb 2007, as had been stated in the email

I guess this is my punishment for reaching the award level too quickly -- if I'd gotten there 10 days later the 3P would have lasted throughout 07 and into 08. Seems like a program bug to me.
It's not a bug, it's in the T&Cs...
Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:47 pm

Talking

My timing worked out really well, too.

Mrs. C qualified for the 40k bonus on a flight on May 26, 2006, but she didn't receive the email notifying her to choose her "gift" and make her 3P nomnation until June 6 (email stated she had 30 days from the date of that email). We waited until after July 1 to choose her gift and nominate her favorite husband for 3P.

And yes, the confirmation says I'm 3P through February 2008.

(I'm glad she didn't pick her other husband instead!)

We're really glad it took United a few days to send out that email. If they'd been on time and sent it out right after her flight in late-May, she would have had to nominate in the month of June, and it only would have been valid through 2007.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by rar indeed
It's not a bug, it's in the T&Cs...
I'm well aware of that, I guess I meant something different by bug. I doubt it was intentional to give less time to people who hit the gates earlier, and they probably did know about it and decided it wasn't worth it to change it, but I still think it's a goofy side-effect that is counter to the spirit of the promotion. There may be no good single word for that, but I choose.... bug.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:06 pm

So can you downgrade a 1k by nominating them to be 3P?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by jd2000

I guess I'm confused.

If you made the nomination on 23 June.....then aren't you already elite? You would not have nominated yourself for 3P.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by WayMaker
I nominated a friend around July 9. This is a portion of the confirming emai from MP:

"You also chose to give the gift of Premier Associate status to XXXX XXXXXX. Their benefits will begin within two weeks of the nomination date and remain valid through February 29, 2008. They will receive their elite welcome package in 4-6 weeks."
I nominated someone on June 6th and got:

"You also chose to give the gift of Premier Associate status to
Friend of SFOtoORD. Their benefits will begin within two weeks of the nomination date and remain valid through February 28, 2007. They will receive their elite welcome package in 4-6 weeks. "

Looks like I shortchanged my friend by not waiting a couple weeks.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:38 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I guess I'm confused.

If you made the nomination on 23 June.....then aren't you already elite? You would not have nominated yourself for 3P.
He was referring to the anomaly that a 1K who earns miles faster gets less benefits. 1Ks earn this right to nominate a 3P upon reaching 75,000 EQMs.

jd2000 hit 75,000 EQMs on May23rd and was forced to make his nomination by June 23rd, so his nominee only gets status through 2007.

I hit 75,000 EQMs last week and so my nominee will get an extra year's status even though jd2000 flies UA more than I do.

Last edited by robb; Aug 3, 2006 at 7:17 pm
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by robb
jd2000 hit 75,000 EQMs on May23rd and was forced to make his nomination by June 23rd, so his nominee only gets status through 2007.
^ ^ Exactly correct... well, almost. :-) Made 75k on May 11, got the invite on May 23, deadline June 23.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:22 pm

Just thought I'd send out a correction on this thread, since I guess it may be relevant again this year. It turns out we had it a bit wrong, and I haven't seen a correction posted in any other thread.

The Premier Associate nominees that were before the cutoff and were announced as expiring on Feb 28, 2007, apparently really did renew and go until Feb 28, 2008. I suspect this since Mrs. 2000 got two different "welcome" packages this year -- for 3P and for 2P, which I gifted her when I hit 125k -- and I can only assume the 3P one was a continuation of the original nomination.

So logic apparently prevailed, other than the date quoted in the original "congratulations you are now a 3P" message.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.