Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade question...using 500-milers and OLCI

Old Aug 1, 06, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle

I'm a 1K flying ATL-ORD-RIC tomorrow. Usually on this routing I clear at the 100-hr mark and it's only 1 500-miler (since the ATL-RIC distance is less than 550 miles). Though each flight is showing 4 F seats for sale (half the cabin since these are both 737 flights), I am still waitlisted now. I guess UA is trying to sell the upgrades to people using the kiosks or computer at check-in (can't blame them!).

If I use online check-in now, and my upgrades confirm between today and flight time tomorrow, is it still just 1 500-miler that will be deducted when my new boarding passes are issued? The last thing I want to do is waste 4 of these if they clear seperately (2 to ORD and 2 to RIC). Is it better to just check-in at the airport tomororw?

thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 1, 06, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the best of my knowledge, it is only one cert if both of the upgrades cleared at the same time. As soon as you cross your window and they clear separately, they seem to charge face value. Of course, you could probably call United afterwards and get a "one time exception."
Old Apr 19, 07, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
In prepping for an upcoming itinerary I did a search and found a post I started last year...I'm still curious about this topic. Can anyone confirm what Lucky had to say?

Is checking in totally independent of the number of 500-milers that get pulled?
Old Apr 19, 07, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer View Post
In prepping for an upcoming itinerary I did a search and found a post I started last year...I'm still curious about this topic. Can anyone confirm what Lucky had to say?

Is checking in totally independent of the number of 500-milers that get pulled?
And I don't know why I said that in August (apparently I was not as smart), but what I said was wrong. As long as all of your upgrades clear before check-in, you get charged the direct distance. If they only clear after check-in, you get charged segment by segment. Sorry!
Old Apr 19, 07, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

No worries Lucky...thanks for the clarification. So it sounds like if only 1 of 2 segments clear ahead of time, don't do on-line check-in since there's a chance the other segment may clear before checking-in at the airport?
Old Apr 19, 07, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer View Post
So it sounds like if only 1 of 2 segments clear ahead of time, don't do on-line check-in since there's a chance the other segment may clear before checking-in at the airport?
If your only concern is how many e-500s you will be charged, yes. However, if one of your concerns is whether you'll be upgraded at all, check in at T minus 24 hours because time on the DM list is a tiebreaking factor in clearing the waitlist.
Old Apr 19, 07, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
If your only concern is how many e-500s you will be charged, yes. However, if one of your concerns is whether you'll be upgraded at all, check in at T minus 24 hours because time on the DM list is a tiebreaking factor in clearing the waitlist.
Correct, if both clear later on you can always un-check-in and then check-in again.
Old Apr 19, 07, 9:48 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
What happens if you have a multiple leg itinerary

XXX-YYY-ZZZ-AAA

and only YYY-ZZZ-AAA clear prior to checkin?

do you get charged for the amount segment by segment or from point YYY-AAA?

In essence, I'm asking if multiple (consecutive) legs clear at the same time, are you charged the e-500s for the distance of the first cleared leg to the last cleared leg?
Old Apr 19, 07, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bassmanben View Post
do you get charged for the amount segment by segment or from point YYY-AAA?
The latter. They will group segments whenever possible. The same would apply if XXX-YYY were not upgradeable due to being TED or a CRJ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: