Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can you combine a travel voucher with a discount coupon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium

I got a travel voucher of $400 because of some malfunction on a 1st class transpacifc flight. The voucher says that it can only be used for domestic flights. My first question is if anyone had any luck trying to use such voucher for an international flight? If not, I would like to use it for a trip to New Orleans with my husband and was wonder if I can combine it with the discount coupon from entertainment book?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the voucher is "type B", yes it can be combined with one of the "Type A" Entertainment discount certificates. That is not to say that every agent will know this, but if they check or keep reading through their restrictions on their computers, they'll see it.

Also, using a Type B voucher exempts you from the ticketing fee.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I would call them up and make it work on International tickets. That is bogus
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Most likely your voucher is a type A voucher (discount). You can combine one type A voucher with one type B voucher (cash). You cannot combine two type A vouchers. Unless it specifies that it can be used for international travel, most type A vouchers can only be used for domestic travel and Canada.

Do a search, there have been numerous threads on this topic.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the replies! How do I find out which type of voucher that I actually have? It says "Customer Relations" and "$400 Discount Travel Certificte" with a Tic Code of PW400. I called United this afternoon and was told that I can only use the voucher toward 1 ticket. since the amount of one ticket is quite a lot less than $400, I would lose out on the remaining difference. I decided to use just the Entertainment book Coupon for the New Orleans trip, and hope for the best to use the voucher for an international flight in the future.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LisaH
Thanks for the replies! How do I find out which type of voucher that I actually have? It says "Customer Relations" and "$400 Discount Travel Certificte" with a Tic Code of PW400.
That's a Type A discount certificate. So it cannot be combined.

Originally Posted by LisaH
I called United this afternoon and was told that I can only use the voucher toward 1 ticket.
2 options so you don't lose the value of the cert:
1) Try to stack itineraries using the multi-city feature of the online booking tool. (Then "Hold" the reservation)
2) CS may authorize residual value. I had a similar CS certificate. I e-mailed CS asking if there was any way they could replace it with a Travel Credit (that has residual allowed). A week later, I got a letter in the mail authorizing that any residual value from the use of that particular cert (I had provided the cert number) be used on future ticket purchases. I took the cert and the authorization letter to the airport and they were able to process it just fine. YMMV, but it can't hurt to ask!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You can combine one type A voucher with one type B voucher
My experience is that you can combine one type A voucher with multiple type B vouchers.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Yes, I have done that also. Most CSRs do not like to combine one type A voucher with multiple type B vouchers. I never had any problem combining up to three type B vouchers.

LisaH, you might want to break your Customer Service $400 voucher into two $200 vouchers. This way, you are more likely to use the entire value of $200.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I've had no luck combining a promo cert with a voucher. I had the value of a cancelled ticket and tried to use it with the MP Visa certificate. No dice.

Couldn't even apply the voucher to one ticket on a PNR. They had to separate my PNR and create a new one for my wife and kid to use the voucher.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
You can combine them but neither can go towards paying the taxes, only the actual ticket price. I recently tried to book a $218 ticket with at CS $200 cert (type A) and $10 travel voucher (type B). The fare was $198 and only the $200 cert could be used. I verified this with 4 different UA reps and all had the same answer.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Is there actually a CS400?

I haven't seen the question answered yet... how do you tell the difference between a Type A and Type B voucher? Is is somethign to do with the 1016 number? Number of characters? Ending numbers?

Steve B.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:02 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sbagdon

I haven't seen the question answered yet... how do you tell the difference between a Type A and Type B voucher? Is is somethign to do with the 1016 number? Number of characters? Ending numbers?

Steve B.
Type B usually have the phrase "TREAT AS A TYPE B VOUCHER" printed on them. Type A will have in the T&C that they are non-combineable [with another type A].
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume so. I've been issued a CS600 before.
I think it's CS followed by whatever amount CS decides to issue. There may be an internal limit to how high they can go.

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:20 pm

What to do next if UA refuses to combine?

I recently mailed in an Entertainment book coupon along with my Type B voucher. The agent taking the reservation, as well as her supervisor, claimed they didn't think the two could be combined, but I was sure they could, so they said go ahead and try. Unfortunately, the Type B voucher was returned to me unused with a form checked with "other" explaining they couldn't be combined. I had even enclosed a cover note explaining that they could be used together because the Type B voucher was not a discount but rather a form of payment like a credit card and requesting that they call me if there was a problem, which they did not. To add to UA's mistake, I was then charged a $15 ticketing fee, which would have been avoided in UA took the Type B voucher. What do you suggest I do next to correct the mistake?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:28 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by patti
I recently mailed in an Entertainment book coupon along with my Type B voucher. ... To add to UA's mistake, I was then charged a $15 ticketing fee, which would have been avoided in UA took the Type B voucher. What do you suggest I do next to correct the mistake?
Speak to a reservation service director and see you you can get credit for the type B and refund of the $15. If not dispute it with you credit card as that gets their attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.