Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Announcement: UA adds IAD-NRT, drops JFK-LHR/NRT, reumes SFO-TPE, adds more SFO-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: UA adds IAD-NRT, drops JFK-LHR/NRT, reumes SFO-TPE, adds more SFO-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:40 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by adambrau
the boneheads are still selling it October 28th onward......
Well, isn't tomorrow (Saturday) the big monthly schedule change/download/update? (Every last Saturday of the month). We'll hear plenty about schedule changes in the coming days on FT, and this month's might be a biggie!

- - - - -

I, for one think this is a good move by UA. JFK relied solely on O/D traffic, since it's landlocked outside of PS flights. They now FINALLY offer nonstop service to Asia via their east coast hub--a service that was long overdue. And yes, since ANA started ORD-NRT, there's no love lost between the two carriers, and UA should, on principle, start IAD-NRT.

I'm sure one of the TPE flights will get cut, probably NRT, and that slot will eventually move to something 'better' (for lack of a better word). Probably an announcement on that coming in a few days, or they'll ride the TPE thing out until the US-China make their next round of approvals (CAN, anyone?).

For SFO-HKG, it's gotta be one of the more profitable in the system...It's a difficult route to upgrade on, even months in advance and every time I take it, it's always near-capacity in all cabins. Perhaps the aircraft will have something to do with the additional 3X (or is it 4X) ORD-HKG that started last year?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
JFK-London route authority sold to Delta, but how about the LHR slot? Is UA leaving it unused or starting another LHR flight?
And if the anticipated Open Skies agreement between the US and EU gets signed fairly soon:

1) DL has just paid a few million for route authority they would have gotten for free via Open Skies treaty.
2) In the meantime, UA gets cash from DL.
3) If UA feels the need, post Open Skies approval to re-start NYC - LON, they have the right to do so via the treaty - for free.
4) It can be said this is a mis-step by DL if the net profit from flights on this route do not outweigh the purchase cost (well, opportunity cost) by the time a would-be US - EU Open Skies treaty comes into play.

In the meantime, as you say, UA have got an LHR landing and departure slot...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Let me get this straight...Star Alliance will no longer have any flights between the UK and New York.

Wow.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:49 am
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Let me get this straight...Star Alliance will no longer have any flights between the UK and New York.

Wow.
I think you mean LHR and JFK. Still a "wow".

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
It also allows for stupidity, like 4x daily 19-seaters to Lebanon, New Hampshire and umpteen zillion daily RJ flights to all sorts of tiny East Coast cities, while people from major metro areas like Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles get exiled out to JFK. Are you telling me that Raleigh-Durham needs 22 DAILY RJ FLIGHTS to LaGuardia while San Francisco can't even get one? I call shenanigans.

At the very least, there should be a limited number of beyond-perimeter slots opened up, like there were at DCA. Let the market decide what the best uses for the slots are - letting RJ operators monopolize them with squillions of 50-seat flights is plainly and simply a poor use of valuable landing slots that could be used for 200-seat 757 service to Los Angeles.
I agree with this 100%. ^
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow.
That pretty much sums it up - what kind of revenue can you get in a market that is dominated by no fewer than 13-15 daily nonstop flights by a rival alliance (AA/BA in oneworld)? At the end of the day it has to be the quality of revenue you get. If most NY based corporate customers are going to go for frequency over alliance loyalty (which they almost always do), the once a day JFK-LHR isn't going to cut it.

Ever wonder why AA only has one 763 to FRA from ORD?

I understand the impact this will have on some customers in the NY area, but I think UA has to do what makes most sense for it from a network perspective. UA needs to be maximizing its resources, and if IAD-NRT does better than JFK-NRT, it's a no-brainer. I wonder how many people here complained about the loss of JFK-HKG as well? Same principle, different routes.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: UA1K
NY is such a saturated market, i think it's a brilliant move. and do they have an additionaly LHR slot now? could we see DEN-LHR? UA has said that they want IAD to be the european hub, and they are succeeding. UA owns the washington area in terms of international destinations. right now UA has to make $$$, and if this is a way for them to make $$$ then i say go for it. ^ ^ for the IAD-NRT flight.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:51 am

Wow.

Well, it is already true for Paris-San Francisco and Paris-Los Angeles!
UA has lost considerable market share out of Paris to the point of challenging UA Paris based airport employees...
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by KeyManRisk
i've been waiting long enough for SFO-TPE to return, but i'm not sure it was worth trading JFK-NRT for it...
agreed, exactly.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KeyManRisk
i've been waiting long enough for SFO-TPE to return, but i'm not sure it was worth trading JFK-NRT for it...
SFO-TPE uses a 744 and JFK-NRT uses a 777. I don't think SFO-TPE came back as a result of JFK-NRT cancellation.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dub
I think you mean LHR and JFK. Still a "wow".
Uh, am I missing something? Which *A carriers have nonstop flights between anywhere in the UK and JFK? BD sure doesn't. US is ex-PHL, not LGA. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Smile

Originally Posted by Dub
I think you mean LHR and JFK.
No, I really meant the UK and New York. No other direct Star Alliance flights exist.

For those of us outside London, NYC is now a three-segment destination. Or there's EWR direct on CO from most UK cities. So, Skyteam stands to win a lot of business from Star Alliance.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
And if the anticipated Open Skies agreement between the US and EU gets signed fairly soon:

1) DL has just paid a few million for route authority they would have gotten for free via Open Skies treaty.
2) In the meantime, UA gets cash from DL.
3) If UA feels the need, post Open Skies approval to re-start NYC - LON, they have the right to do so via the treaty - for free.
4) It can be said this is a mis-step by DL if the net profit from flights on this route do not outweigh the purchase cost (well, opportunity cost) by the time a would-be US - EU Open Skies treaty comes into play.

In the meantime, as you say, UA have got an LHR landing and departure slot...

They have been trying to iron out an open skies treaty in one form or another for the US and UK for more than 5 years now. It will be a long time before the issues are ironed out that will open up LHR to other US carriers and grant AA/BA anti-trust immunity.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:56 am
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
Originally Posted by as219
Uh, am I missing something? Which *A carriers have nonstop flights between anywhere in the UK and JFK? BD sure doesn't. US is ex-PHL, not LGA. Am I missing something?
Nope, you are missing nothing. I'm clearly missing my coffee. You are correct, sir!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:57 am

Programs: Peon extraordinaire
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
SFO-TPE uses a 744 and JFK-NRT uses a 777. I don't think SFO-TPE came back as a result of JFK-NRT cancellation.
well, i didn't mean to imply that the two were a direct tradeoff...just saying that i have to swallow some bad news with the good...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.