Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

IAD Elite Security Line coming July 18th, 2006!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Elite Security Line coming July 18th, 2006!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by deckman
From the 1K website:

The opening of the new elite security lanes at Washington Dulles has been temporarily delayed. We will bring you more information as it becomes available.
The funny thing is, I actually predicted this on the other thread, but then went right ahead and let myself believe. I am an idiot: this is IAD we are talking about, the International Airport of the D@mned!!!!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:59 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

No elite signage or lines at IAD tonight at 9pm.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
No elite signage or lines at IAD tonight at 9pm.
give it about a week for them to settle the final issues
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:19 am

Just to be clear, the arrangement of the lines is not under the control of TSA. The configuration of the security lines is completely done by the airport, and the decision to add elite lines was made after the airline liaison committee at IAD (it has representatives from all the carriers and is currently chaired by Northwest, I think) voted to go ahead with it. TSA just screens whoever shows up at the screening point, regardless of whether they waited 5 minutes in a VIP/eite line or 2 hours in the normal queue. That said, and as I've mentioned previously, should be in TSA's interest to have elite lines as they increase throughput, make TSA look better, and should reduce complaints.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:41 am

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
Originally Posted by SealBeach
That said, and as I've mentioned previously, should be in TSA's interest to have elite lines as they increase throughput, make TSA look better, and should reduce complaints.
Especially since elites are the one's most likely to complain and also are the ones who will know how to complain effectively. J6P just meanders along and takes what is dished out.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:00 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The funny thing is, I actually predicted this on the other thread, but then went right ahead and let myself believe. I am an idiot: this is IAD we are talking about, the International Airport of the D@mned!!!!
Just you wait until Uncle Ted takes over IAD, including flights to LHR, etc. THEN you will be assured that you are in hell.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Gold Star Balloons??

Came through IAD (inbound) at 8:30 this morning after a two hour delay in LAS (but that is another story) and made sure to exit past the security lines to check out the new elite lines. Did not see them anywhere.

There were, however, gold star balloons tied to the posts at the normal starting point on both sides of the security lines (East and West), but no indication that they were for Elites -- but very strange nonetheless. The balloons had writting on them something to the effect of "Start Here."

Did not ask any TSAers as I was in my red-eye haze, but certainly the elite line addition was not obvious -- if it in fact was there at all.

Anyone fly out of IAD today that can further clarify?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Forgot about the post from deckman re: the announced delay. Oh well, at least they have balloons now!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Flyin4MAG
Came through IAD (inbound) at 8:30 this morning after a two hour delay in LAS (but that is another story) and made sure to exit past the security lines to check out the new elite lines. Did not see them anywhere.

There were, however, gold star balloons tied to the posts at the normal starting point on both sides of the security lines (East and West), but no indication that they were for Elites -- but very strange nonetheless. The balloons had writting on them something to the effect of "Start Here."

Did not ask any TSAers as I was in my red-eye haze, but certainly the elite line addition was not obvious -- if it in fact was there at all.

Anyone fly out of IAD today that can further clarify?
The elite lines won't be there for another week or so - they had a little more work to do first.

The balloons are used to show people where the lines start - they have ropes out all over the place, and sometimes people don't know where to find the beginning - that and the college kids are intended to help the situation.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=GoingAway]The elite lines won't be there for another week or so - they had a little more work to do first.

Bummer - I just booked a flight leaving IAD next Tuesday figuring that the lines would be quicker. Should have stuck with DCA but wanted to take the 777 to ORD.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I arrived into IAD today around 4pm and came out of the secure area on the Departure level (instead of downstairs) to check things out. No elite line. Two balloons instead of the usual one at the entrance to the security lines. And the security lines were short to moderate--about 10 minutes wait, I'd say.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Moderators - Can you update the thread title to be July 18th? I there is a more formal way for me to request, I'd be happy to do so, I've stumbled around some but can't seem to find a way to do that.

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:29 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by Flyin4MAG

I saw the stupid balloons this morning. They simply state "LINE STARTS HERE" What a way to direct the throngs of masses.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I saw the stupid balloons this morning. They simply state "LINE STARTS HERE" What a way to direct the throngs of masses.
I agree but at the same time I give them credit for being creative. They could have just done nothing and let people wander all over the damn place, hired more idiots with limited communication skills to try and direct people, or put up 50 little "line starts over there" signs on the top of 3-foot-high tensa-barrier poles.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
I did not see any indication of an elite line when I came up the steps by the easy chickens this afternoon. I went to the 1K line and a CSR was curious enough to walk up to the security line with me and ask "what was going on with the elite lines"?

We told they were not able to get it together today, perhaps at the end of the week. A likely story. I was excited but now I'll believe it when I see it.
UA isn't so innocent itself when it comes to sorting out lines -- the scrum in front of their ticket counter at IAD would be a lot easier to navigate if they'd figure out what lines they want to have and then mark them appropriately with good signage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.