Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

IAD Elite Security Line coming July 18th, 2006!

IAD Elite Security Line coming July 18th, 2006!

Old Jul 15, 06, 1:50 pm

Just a heads up, last night they were doing an additional (third) boarding pass screening at IAD. There was an initial screening, where the the screener looked at your boarding pass, then a second screening where they looked at your ID and boarding pass together, and then the TSA looks at your boarding pass after you go thru the metal detector.

I complained about this, as it seemed like they were regressing to immediate post 9/11 screening, and was told that they were preparing for some changes that will be happening next week. So, I'm not sure whether they will check everyones boarding pass initially and send them to the elite line or whether they were familiarizing themselves with the passes so they know what to look for when they check passes in the elite line. In any case it doesn't sound like smooth sailing.
Old Jul 15, 06, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ExCrew
Forgot to post this, but IAD (got this from a B6 f/a) is supposedly doing away with their 'crew only' lines. He was told starting sometime next week that those lines would become the new elite security lines. Take it for what its worth.
Makes sense to me -- make the crew only line the elite/crew line, then let the crew jump to the front of the elites, just like they do now at most airports.
Old Jul 15, 06, 2:26 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by SealBeach
Makes sense to me -- make the crew only line the elite/crew line, then let the crew jump to the front of the elites, just like they do now at most airports.
Great! Given the set up at IAD (all crews through a single entrance) it'll end up taking longer than the GM line.
Old Jul 15, 06, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Harry's Tap Room is a disgusting disgrace stinking up this beautiful landmark building like that.

Security lines at IAD are currently ok due to the demise of Indy Air. I don't think WN will ramp up to anywhere near that volume in the near future.

Around 9 pm the crew line is the only security line that is open. I have noticed this twice in recent weeks.
Old Jul 15, 06, 8:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Actually, it's already in place according to my ex-roomie, whose a current UA f/a. And no, supposedly the crews now have NO lines specific for them. They just butt their way to the head of the line a la BOS.
I am sure that crew will be using our (Elites) line for their 'butting'. Just hope we don't get one of those KLM, Korean, or LH 747 crews jumping in front. That is like 25+ heads!!!
Old Jul 17, 06, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA EXPLT 1MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott PLT Premier, SPG Gold, Hyatt PLT, Avis PC
Who's gonna be the lucky FT'er to post whether these lines have finally made their appearance. I've got a flight on 7/20, so I'm hoping they'll finally be there.
Old Jul 18, 06, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Silver
Went through the Elite security line at 5:45 am this morning! Plenty of staff in the area to make sure it goes smoothly.
Old Jul 18, 06, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by avhokie
Went through the Elite security line at 5:45 am this morning! Plenty of staff in the area to make sure it goes smoothly.
Details, details, please. How many elite lines were there, who could use them, where were they located, etc.
Old Jul 18, 06, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA EXPLT 1MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott PLT Premier, SPG Gold, Hyatt PLT, Avis PC
What sort of Signage do they have up? Anyone wanna snap a camera phone pic? This is truely a magnificent day!

...now if they could do something about the moon buggies!
Old Jul 18, 06, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Mindwurkz
Well, they are, of course. Just don't bother holding your breath waiting for that project to be completed.

Anyone know what the timescale on the IAD inter-terminal trains is (supposed to be)?
Old Jul 18, 06, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by iapetus
Well, they are, of course. Just don't bother holding your breath waiting for that project to be completed.

Anyone know what the timescale on the IAD inter-terminal trains is (supposed to be)?
July 2009 for phase 1, which includes stops at A/B, B (west end), and the site for the future "tier 2" UA terminal (east end) with a pedestrian tunnel to the current C. There won't be a stop at D. See:

http://www.mwaa.com/_/File/_/AirportTrainSystem.pdf
Old Jul 18, 06, 10:24 am

Details, details, please. How many elite lines were there, who could use them, where were they located, etc.
I was a little late this morning, so I didn't have too much time to dig around. The line I went through was marked "Premium Passengers". It's in the same area as the main security entry just to the right of United booths. The regular lines open in the same place as usual (near United's International area), and the premium line opens to the right of that.
Old Jul 18, 06, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Mindwurkz

What sort of Signage do they have up? Anyone wanna snap a camera phone pic? This is truely a magnificent day!

Look for the "Premium Passengers" sign. The sign is overhead, above the line entrance.

Also, a few regular passengers tried to get into the line and they were denied, so until they make it more obvious, you may have to fight with that annoyance (not that it was bad at 5:45am, but will be during busy hours)
Old Jul 18, 06, 10:51 am

Look for the "Premium Passengers" sign. The sign is overhead, above the line entrance.

Also, a few regular passengers tried to get into the line and they were denied, so until they make it more obvious, you may have to fight with that annoyance (not that it was bad at 5:45am, but will be during busy hours)
Could be worse -- I was at CMH the other day and tried to use the elite line by showing my US BP that only said "1K" on it. The guy tried to give me the "you're in the wrong line" speech, and when I pointed out that it said, "1K" his response was, "what's that?" I said it was the top-tier elite for United and represented Star Alliance Gold, and I started to dig for my 1K card, at which point he backed down and said, "Oh OK, I trust you." So much for training. In the guy's defense, however, US could put something a little more convincing for UA customers on their BPs...
Old Jul 18, 06, 10:54 am

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
I was a little late this morning, so I didn't have too much time to dig around. The line I went through was marked "Premium Passengers".
So are you a 1K? 1P? 2P? First class? Still dying to know where they're drawing the line for who's "premium" and who's not.
Old Jul 18, 06, 11:11 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be worse -- I was at CMH the other day and tried to use the elite line by showing my US BP that only said "1K" on it. The guy tried to give me the "you're in the wrong line" speech, and when I pointed out that it said, "1K" his response was, "what's that?" I said it was the top-tier elite for United and represented Star Alliance Gold, and I started to dig for my 1K card, at which point he backed down and said, "Oh OK, I trust you." So much for training. In the guy's defense, however, US could put something a little more convincing for UA customers on their BPs...
How about "BOLD 1K"?
Old Jul 18, 06, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Lpas
So are you a 1K? 1P? 2P? First class? Still dying to know where they're drawing the line for who's "premium" and who's not.
I'm a lowly 2P flying coach
Old Jul 18, 06, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Can anyone find out who can use the line...... I wont be at IAD until Monday when I am going to BUR for the week.

I hope us Humble 1P's can
Old Jul 18, 06, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444
Can anyone find out who can use the line...... I wont be at IAD until Monday when I am going to BUR for the week.

I hope us Humble 1P's can
Well, if ya look above, avhokie just posted that they were a 2P and got through the line, so it looks as though all UA Premiers are welcome in line.
I am going through tomorrow morning, so I will report back on my experiences.
Old Jul 18, 06, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
hmmm...would a lowly 3P be able to slip in?
Old Jul 19, 06, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Avis Select
I am 1P and used the new line on Tuesday at 4:00 and it was great. I was through security in under 3 minutes.
Old Jul 19, 06, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by dlwalt
I am 1P and used the new line on Tuesday at 4:00 and it was great. I was through security in under 3 minutes.
Are they asking for elite status plastic cards or is the information printed on boarding passes enough?
Old Jul 19, 06, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Avis Select
Are they asking for elite status plastic cards or is the information printed on boarding passes enough?
I only showed my boarding pass which has Premier Executive printed on it, never took my card out.
Old Jul 19, 06, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
This is a dream come true
Old Jul 19, 06, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Great news.
Old Jul 19, 06, 2:01 pm

I must admit that, for once, it seems as though IAD got it right. The crowds this morning were extra horrendous! The 'regular' cue was completely packed, whilst the 'Premium Passengers' line was empty. It was so awesome...for once...to feel like I mattered at IAD. There was a total of 10 other folks using the PP line. I was through the magnetometers in less than 4 minutes.
How long do you think it will be before MWAA screws this up?
Old Jul 19, 06, 2:32 pm

How long before MWAA screws it up? About a week -- that should be enough time for them to realise something is actually working. I was very pleased to breeze through the line this morning, sporting UA plastic and a US ticket.

The regular line didn't seem worse than usual at 08:00. I bet the 16:00 push, though, will be where the benefit really accrues. Need to get the wife her *G card sooner rather than later.
Old Jul 19, 06, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
Went through today (Wed) at 7.10am. Took less than 5 minutes. The regular line at that time would have taken me 20-30 minutes.

Although I am a 1P, my BP had my *G (other than MP) account. All I have on my BP is the word "Gold" followed by my FF number. The primary checker was overheard telling/training another colleague - "see.... it says Gold".

I personally think it will just a matter of time before the premier lines get longer - it may be that not many people know about it yet. There are lots of elite pax in IAD.
Old Jul 19, 06, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
People definitely won't realize it's there yet -- we're just ahead of the game I think its going to be a combination of non-elites having something on their boarding pass and the checkers just letting it slide rather than figuring it out, as well as the fact that its not just UA/*A using these lines but every airline at IAD, lots & lots of elites out there will be on the line once it gets better publicized.
of course then there are the elites like me when I was a 2P and didn't realize what that really meant other than I was definitely getting on the flight and someone else would be be IDB'd on my weekly J31/41 commute (getting there was more important than vouchers, esp when I was heading home). Not sure I would've known to even try for access to an elite line back then. Thanks FT!!
Old Jul 19, 06, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Wow...I know I have said it already, but this is great news for those of us that use IAD. Thanks for all those that are posting their experiences so far for those of us on a short hiatus.

And to answer the questions about when this will fail...I can just about assure you that it will be in the evening on Aug 5, as I am set to go through IAD in the am on the 6th on my way to PEK. To those of you going out of IAD on the 6th, its not my fault, its just coincidence.
Old Jul 20, 06, 11:28 am

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Does anyone know if it's possible to take a guest with you in the elite line (i.e. someone on the same PNR)? Mr. Lpas (a GM) and I will be traveling together next month and it would be nice if we could use the short line. thx
Old Jul 20, 06, 11:32 am

Programs: MP - 1K
Does anyone know if it's possible to take a guest with you in the elite line (i.e. someone on the same PNR)? Mr. Lpas (a GM) and I will be traveling together next month and it would be nice if we could use the short line. thx

I've never had a problem at other airports, I'm sure it's fine.
Old Jul 20, 06, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's usual practice that your travelling companion will accompany you through the elite security line, just like they board with you. I would be surprised if this was set up any differently.
Old Jul 20, 06, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Hmmm. With the new elite line, would IAD regulars recommend taking the 5:00 am airport shuttle from the Fairfield Inn (Dulles) or play it safe with the 4:30 am shuttle? I've a 6:10 am United flight on Saturday, will have my boarding pass, and will have only carry-on luggage. A little more sleep is appealing but not worth missing my flight.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 06, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Modern 49er
Hmmm. With the new elite line, would IAD regulars recommend taking the 5:00 am airport shuttle from the Fairfield Inn (Dulles) or play it safe with the 4:30 am shuttle? I've a 6:10 am United flight on Saturday, will have my boarding pass, and will have only carry-on luggage. A little more sleep is appealing but not worth missing my flight.

Thanks.
what size plane/where are you flying to? which terminal are you leaving from? a/c/d ?
Old Jul 20, 06, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tide
I personally think it will just a matter of time before the premier lines get longer - it may be that not many people know about it yet. There are lots of elite pax in IAD.
As an IAD veteran, I completely disagree! There are hoards of passengers with no status and even more who don't join any FF programs. I am always in "SEATING 1" and that rarely includes more than a handful of passengers in coach at IAD. All I can say is WOOOOOOOOO......
Old Jul 20, 06, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
As an IAD veteran, I completely disagree! There are hoards of passengers with no status and even more who don't join any FF programs.
Agreed! In my observation the vast majority of IAD flyers (at least those on UA) have no status at all.
Old Jul 20, 06, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
what size plane/where are you flying to? which terminal are you leaving from? a/c/d ?
UA1129 on A320 IAD-TUL from C gates.

Suggestions for how much time to get through the whole airport process using new elite lines?
Old Jul 20, 06, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Modern 49er
UA1129 on A320 IAD-TUL from C gates.

Suggestions for how much time to get through the whole airport process using new elite lines?
They'll start boarding at 5:40, you should be okay with the 5:00 shuttle but note that if the driver waits for anyone checking out or walking slow, it'll be tight for you. If you stress at all or have to be in the early boarding, go with 4:30 otherwise take the 5:00 and go straight to security. Watch the lines at TSA, I sometimes walk over to an entirely different area if they're moving better. Personally, I hate to sweat it at all, I'd rather just be relaxed and would likely stay with the 4:30

Note that this is a weekend and the elite lines are new, there is no guarantee they'll have them open for Sat/Sun -- you can actually be the one to let us know I don't think there will be a huge crowd at that hour at any rate. Safe travels.
Old Jul 20, 06, 5:06 pm

Thanks much...will likely do the 4:30.
Will post Sat about availability of elite lines over the weekend.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: