Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Agents/ Good Agents ......

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "Only a Member" United Airlines
Question Bad Agents/ Good Agents ......

Recently flew ABZ - LHR - LAX on United - there and back. I need help from those who are a bit more "travel wise" than me, who can let me know if what happened was right or not ..... thank you in advance. Please be gentle with me!! Am female and answers in plain english please!!

Anyway, when I booked my flight online with United, the seat 24C (which is in E+), showed up on my itinerary. On check in at ABZ with BMI, they put my luggage straight through to LAX, but told me that I would have to check in with United at LHR.

This I did, but I guess I must have gotten one of the agents on a bad day. She took my seat in E+ away from me and told me that if I paid her Ł55 I could get my seat back ..... is she allowed to do this?? Needless to say, I didnt pay up and got a seat in 33E. On checking my membership file, she said that I was "Only a Member" so wasnt due a seat in E+. Wasnt happy with this, but anyway, figured it wasnt worth speaking to this agent and left for the gate.

It was a boiling hot day at LHR and I wound up sick. I went straight to the gate and was fine until a agent asked me if I was ok. I then burst into tears. The female agent took my boarding pass away and gave me a seat back in E+ - a few rows infront of where I should have been. They were also wondering if I was "fit to travel".

Another agent also took me onto the plane before everyone else and one of the FAs brought me a cup of tea and spoke to me for a while.

A few days before my return journey home, I checked online and saw that I was being "waitlisted for an upgrade" ..... the day before the flight, I checked again and saw that I had "Confirmed Business Upgrade" on my itinerary.

I checked into LAX and was told to go to the gate for my boarding pass. Another female GA, why did I have the feeling of "not again" ......

She gave me a boarding pass for E+ - I showed her my itinerary (which I printed off) with "Confirmed Business Upgrade" on it. She told me it would cost me $1000 for the upgrade to Business ..... I asked her to check my membership file which she did ..... she said that I had nothing to offer her for the upgrade ..... and that I shouldnt have asked for one if I had nothing to offer for it ...... told her that I didnt ask for an upgrade, it appeared on my itinerary. She said that was impossible ..... she said that I paid for an economy seat so would have to pay for B class. I didnt have $1000 for an upgrade so was in E+.

Was what happened with the "bad agents" ok?? Am not sure on all my rights sometimes. I know I paid economy price for my seat so was upgraded to the next possible class - E+.

Before I travelled on United last November again, I was automically given a seat in E+, but now when I have many more airmiles, it seems that I have to fight for them.

Someone keep me right here?? Thank you!!

Last edited by unitedscot; Jul 2, 2006 at 12:32 pm
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
So sorry to hear of those hassles! Sounds like you just unfortunately came across some very nice and some very mean agents.

I've learned that if an agent starts being mean about something, I just now thank him/her for his/her time and then just go to another agent before the mean agent can do too much damage.

If you're upgraded to business/first, you can just check in at the business/first ticket window and hopefully have fewer hassles next time.

Again, so sorry!
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately the Agent at LAX was the only one at the gate!! I saw others "floating about" and was waiting to pounce on them but they never stopped long enough!!

As for checking in at Business, I talked to the United Agent beside the ropes and she said that the check in desk for B was "all the way down the hall" and suggested that I check in where I was ....

Thank you for your help and advice. Appreciate it.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I've learned that if an agent starts being mean about something, I just now thank him/her for his/her time and then just go to another agent before the mean agent can do too much damage.
Good advice /
LWW
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by unitedscot
Anyway, when I booked my flight online with United, the seat 24C (which is in E+), showed up on my itinerary.
Did you pick 24C online? What fare-class were you in? e.g. Y-class, W-class, V-class? If you were in Y or M you should have had the E+ seat regardless of "status" as they are "full-fare Economy". If you were in V or W class and have no status then the agent was 'correct' in saying you weren't allowed in E+. However, if you booked via www.unitedairlines.co.uk (and i suspect you did), you would only have been offered an E+ seat if you were eligible for it.

It was a boiling hot day at LHR and I wound up sick. I went straight to the gate and was fine until a agent asked me if I was ok. I then burst into tears. The female agent took my boarding pass away and gave me a seat back in E+ - a few rows infront of where I should have been. They were also wondering if I was "fit to travel".

Another agent also took me onto the plane before everyone else and one of the FAs brought me a cup of tea and spoke to me for a while.
Obviously the issue you had was with the United desk in the LHR connections centre - cannot comment as have never used, but I have to say the other staff I have encountered at LHR and FAs on ex-LHR flights have always been positive and i'm glad they looked after you - in the end !!

A few days before my return journey home, I checked online and saw that I was being "waitlisted for an upgrade" ..... the day before the flight, I checked again and saw that I had "Confirmed Business Upgrade" on my itinerary.
Did you request an upgrade online? If you selected something like "Upgrade with miles" or something, and there was an upgrade position you would have been "confirmed". However, obviously if you didn't have the miles at check-in then they'll yank the upgrade off you...

It's interesting though they were happy to put you in E+ for your return unlike the LHR connections desk agent...

Before I travelled on United last November again, I was automically given a seat in E+, but now when I have many more airmiles, it seems that I have to fight for them.
Again, if you can tell us what your Fare class is, we can tell you if you are eligible for E+ or if you're going to have "issues" again
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:00 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
To unitedscot:

What elite status do you currently hold with any Star Alliance airline?

Also, what was the booking code for your UA flight segments (i.e. V or W or H or B or Y)?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Sounds to me as if the person below might have arranged the upgrade for the return out of niceness or something- that would be more or less an operational upgrade and would not require status.

"The female agent took my boarding pass away and gave me a seat back in E+ - a few rows infront of where I should have been. They were also wondering if I was "fit to travel"."

I definitely sympathize with you. I was traveling a multi-segment trip with some relatives (on two flights all together and on others we were traveling separately) and had upgraded some of them with my status and others with miles, for the legs on which we were traveling together. They checked in by themselves at a different airport, beginning on a flight that I wasn't taking with them. When checking them in, rather than simply looking in their reservation record to see why they had been upgraded, the agent tried to downgrade them and simply accused them of stealing an upgrade as they don't have status. Finally my relatives fought back and kept the upgrade but they were unsettled. This was on US Airways.

Experiences like that explain why so many people dislike airlines.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Jul 2, 2006 at 5:27 pm
Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Silver
I just completed my HNL-NRT-SIN Flight and the GA at HNL was simply horrible. I know it's no use complaining to UA directly as I have no status with them and they will probably do nothing about it. The FAs on both flights were good, so I guess the only complaint about UA is the GA in HNL, no more United Flights for me, back to ANA.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Recently flew ABZ - LHR - LAX on United - there and back. I need help from those who are a bit more "travel wise" than me, who can let me know if what happened was right or not ..... thank you in advance. Please be gentle with me!! Am female and answers in plain english please!!

Anyway, when I booked my flight online with United, the seat 24C (which is in E+), showed up on my itinerary. On check in at ABZ with BMI, they put my luggage straight through to LAX, but told me that I would have to check in with United at LHR.

This I did, but I guess I must have gotten one of the agents on a bad day. She took my seat in E+ away from me and told me that if I paid her Ł55 I could get my seat back ..... is she allowed to do this?? Needless to say, I didnt pay up and got a seat in 33E. On checking my membership file, she said that I was "Only a Member" so wasnt due a seat in E+. Wasnt happy with this, but anyway, figured it wasnt worth speaking to this agent and left for the gate.

I checked into LAX and was told to go to the gate for my boarding pass. Another female GA, why did I have the feeling of "not again" ......

She gave me a boarding pass for E+ - I showed her my itinerary (which I printed off) with "Confirmed Business Upgrade" on it. She told me it would cost me $1000 for the upgrade to Business ..... I asked her to check my membership file which she did ..... she said that I had nothing to offer her for the upgrade ..... and that I shouldnt have asked for one if I had nothing to offer for it ...... told her that I didnt ask for an upgrade, it appeared on my itinerary. She said that was impossible ..... she said that I paid for an economy seat so would have to pay for B class. I didnt have $1000 for an upgrade so was in E+.

Was what happened with the "bad agents" ok?? Am not sure on all my rights sometimes. I know I paid economy price for my seat so was upgraded to the next possible class - E+.

Someone keep me right here?? Thank you!!
Ok I guess I will be the bad guy here. How many miles did you fly on United last year?
25,000 or more? You then are intitled to E+. Just because you can click on an E+ seat when you buy a ticket online doesn't mean you can sit there. Clear up a few things for us please.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys.

Just checked my iyinery, but the details have been taken down, Am sure it was a "W" ticket (does this make sense??). If not, I will check again.

As regards picking a seat online when I booked my flight, I never got that option. When the seat showed up, I thought it came from United Airlines or was computer generated.

If I havent answered all the questions, let me know and I will answer them.

Thank you
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys.

Just checked my iyinery, but the details have been taken down, Am sure it was a "W" ticket (does this make sense??). If not, I will check again.

As regards picking a seat online when I booked my flight, I never got that option. When the seat showed up, I thought it came from United Airlines or was computer generated.

If I havent answered all the questions, let me know and I will answer them.

Thank you
Please start here.
How many miles did you fly on United Airlines last year?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Please start here.
How many miles did you fly on United Airlines last year?
In the last year, I have flown between Aberdeen and NYC and then Aberdeen and LAX.

I know thats not enough by your thoughts, but I only get 4 weeks vacation a year, dont earn too much and can only get away on 1 sometimes 2 trips a year to the US - the rest of my vacation time, I have to leave for going away with hubby .......

Anyway, I dont think it matters whether you have 1 mile or !k, agents dont have a right to be rude to us ......
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Anyway, I dont think it matters whether you have 1 mile or !k, agents dont have a right to be rude to us
Concur with this, and hope you'll be able to take the time to hang around here and learn to maximze your opportunities as a GM (general member) of UA's MP program. You ran into some things regarding UA's reservation system which the average person could not be expected to know about or understand. I hope they won't sour you on UA, as it is a pretty good airline, most of the time I was a GM this time last year, but being a member of FT for a year, I learned most of what I could and couldn't do, so didn't have the experiences that you did. I'm now a 1P as a result of information learned here

Sorry about your experience but hope you'll try again!

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.