Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

RCC policy on members "soliciting" random guests to come into the club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCC policy on members "soliciting" random guests to come into the club

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
How Would You Vote?

Assume that UA sent you a "ballot" with the following.

"We here at UA have been reviewing the economic basis of our Red Carpet Clubs. Our goal is to be responsive to our guests, so next year we need to make a choice which will apply to *all* of our members. This is not an individual choice. Please vote for one of the following:

A. I want to be allowed to bring in any 2 guests I choose, including strangers. Annual dues (for everyone) will be increased by $100/year.

B. I want the right to bring 2 guests, but the following restriction will be enforced. The guests must be listed on your computerized guest list which must have been updated at least 2 hours before your arrival. (The list will be "permanent" - once you list someone they will stay on your list.) Annual dues will be unchanged.

C. Only the member can enter the club. You can bring as many guests as you like for $40 per visit. (Day passes, not sponsored by a member, will remain as $50). Annual dues will decrease by $50.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
B. No question.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Originally Posted by sbrower
Assume that UA sent you a "ballot" with the following.

"We here at UA have been reviewing the economic basis of our Red Carpet Clubs. Our goal is to be responsive to our guests, so next year we need to make a choice which will apply to *all* of our members. This is not an individual choice. Please vote for one of the following:

A. I want to be allowed to bring in any 2 guests I choose, including strangers. Annual dues (for everyone) will be increased by $100/year.

B. I want the right to bring 2 guests, but the following restriction will be enforced. The guests must be listed on your computerized guest list which must have been updated at least 2 hours before your arrival. (The list will be "permanent" - once you list someone they will stay on your list.) Annual dues will be unchanged.

C. Only the member can enter the club. You can bring as many guests as you like for $40 per visit. (Day passes, not sponsored by a member, will remain as $50). Annual dues will decrease by $50.
Why would I want to assume such a dumb scenario. I think most RCC members don't think we are getting much value for our money or miles. I don't think for one second that we are expecting any downgrade of our memberships.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by last2board
There is an often repeated theme in this thread that most people we might randomly invite into the lounge will automatically be someone who does not know how to behave in public. So where and with whom are you folks hanging out?
The issue here isn't that "most" people you would randomly invite would be someone who doesn't know how to behave; it's that some of the people might be, and they can cause an imposition on others in the club. And if you randomly invite people often enough, you're likely to get some of these. If you're willing to ask them to leave if they cause a problem and make sure that they leave when you do, fine, but if you're happy with just inviting them in and walking away from it, you're being pretty inconsiderate of other RCC members, IMO.

Also, if you invite people who you actually "hang out" with, I'd hope that the odds are even lower that they'd cause a problem in the RCC, but if you pick someone who just happens to be standing at the entrance when you walk in, who knows? In fact, if that person is arguing with the staff trying to get access to the RCC when they're not entitled to it, I'd say there may be a greater than average chance that they're going to be a "problem child".
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:44 am

Agree. TO admit a few seconds later makes a mockery of the gate keeping process.

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
I'm sure the staff know that members bring in guests they don't know very well every day. But nobody likes to be publicly overruled, overridden, or whatever you want to call it when he is doing his job -- especially when he is doing it correctly. The scenario described is a little bit ... I don't know, humiliating is too strong a word, but it's a bit of a slap to the employee. Better to invite your guests discreetly, before they've been properly turned away.

Although the second UA flier was certainly a nice guy.

He should get karma points for trying.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:44 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by Uniter
Actually, the rules state that you can sponsor one person to sit in an E+ seat who's on the same PNR as you ... and that seat needs to be next to you (most likely a middle seat, though on some larger aircraft, it might not).

So UAL has already taken this into account.
I wasn't aware of this. I have sponsored my wife and other family members in the past and none of them were on the same PNR. And many times, my son and daughter didn't sit with me. In fact, I've never been on the same PNR with someone when I sponsored them to E+.

I must be lucky. Or UA broke their own rules about sponsoring E+ seating.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
ORD RCC matron refuses to allow me a guest

Yesterday, I was at ORD RCC at B7. Standing in front of me was a gentleman who was a Continental OnePass member flying UA and a member of the Continental President's Club. Problem: he didn't have his physical card with him. (He asked if the matron could check the system or call Continental and she refused.)

So I showed my boarding pass and said to the matron, "And this is my guest", pointing to the other gentleman. The matron refused to allow him to enter as my guest saying "Your guest has to be someone you know." As I asked to talk to a supervisor, the other gentleman told me not to bother as he didn't know the UA rules and didn't want to make waves.

I passed on talking to a supervisor but then checked the published T&C's for my RCC membership. It states I'm allowed two guests or immediate family members (condensed version). It says nothing about "knowing" my guests.

So I sent an email of protest to 1Kvoice, the RCC email address on the website, and to Terry Br**y, who is listed as the UA VP of Ops at ORD. I asked them what criteria is used to determine how one "knows" the guests, what proof is required, and if all patrons are required to show proof.

Fortunately, I was able to snag the name of the matron and include it, along with the date, time, and location. Will anything come of my complaint? I doubt it but I can't stand it when power hungry matrons make up their own rules regarding RCC policies.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS
Well.........If this is a problem, then we have a big time problem with the The United Forum Red Carpet Club Meet-Up Thread and Calendar [2010] Thread !
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I've had that happen, when I wanted to do good for someone and the folks up front quashed it. It's revenue protection on their side to some extent, so I don't totally blame them, but they are so rude about it and it really is none of their business. You should get to bring in whoever you want.

The last time I tried it, I was waiting in the C17 IAD RCC for a friend's flight and the UA flight to LHR was having horrible mx issues and delays. Someone came in, was very nice and talking to the front desk about buying entry (I cringed, and she wasn't the only one asking about it) The lady in the front was super nice and told her that the next decision was in 30 minutes so wait to buy entry to the RCC so she wasn't wasting her money. Both extremely polite, looking for the positive trying to be helpful, etc

I approached the desk (C17 RCC - I was the only one upstairs with the two of them at the time) and asked the agent if she'd allow me to guest the woman in at least until decision (or for however long till the flight goes went unsaid) and she let me do it. The woman at the desk was extremely professional with a number of customers trying to get in ("my flight is delayed, that means I get into the club right" -- type deals), but this passenger was really polite all along, had been willing to pay, etc and the agent saw everyone wins so allowed her in. ^
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I actually did this on Friday at the RCC in C at ORD.

The woman ahead of me thought she had access (got there after she started talking to the agent, so I don't know the whole story), but the agent said no. She had a cute little kid with her and wanted to get him something to drink, a nice comfy chair, etc. She asked if she could buy a pass, to which the agent said yes.

She started to take out her credit card when I said to the agent that she will be my guest. The agent looked at me and said, "Fine".

I thanked the agent and the woman thanked me multiple times. And she told her son to thank me too, which he did.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw a similar thing happen a few weeks ago at the SFO International lounge. There was a long line of RCC members (myself included) waiting to get in. It seemed that the hold up was an agent who was arguing with a man who was part of a party of 3 or 4. Evidently, the others in his party had been admitted, but the agent was claiming that his ticket (or fare class, or itinerary, or some such) didn't allow entry, and "Rules are rules!" I got fed up with waiting, presented my RCC card and said, "That gentleman can come in as my guest." The agent said, "But you don't know him!" I said, "I know him now and he's my guest." The agent grudgingly ran my RCC card, admitted both of us, and the man thanked me sincerely. Interestingly, The Enforcer . . . uh . . . the agent who didn't want to let the man in went on break after this and another agent who was also at the desk thanked me, commented on the other agent's rules-are-rules philosophy, and rewarded with me with some extra drink coupons.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Interestingly, The Enforcer . . . uh . . . the agent who didn't want to let the man in went on break after this and another agent who was also at the desk thanked me, commented on the other agent's rules-are-rules philosophy, and rewarded with me with some extra drink coupons.
I was there (SFO Int'l RCC) three weeks ago and I noticed that the usual super-friendly and helpful front desk staff (there were always two) had been replaced by one super-grumpy jobsworth - perhaps she was your Enforcer?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I was there (SFO Int'l RCC) three weeks ago and I noticed that the usual super-friendly and helpful front desk staff (there were always two) had been replaced by one super-grumpy jobsworth - perhaps she was your Enforcer?
Could be. She gave me a long speech about how she was just trying to protect the RCC for members like me. I told her, "That's right -- I am a member, I pay for the privilege, and I have a right to bring in 2 guests. This gentleman is one of them. Are you telling me you won't let me use my RCC privileges?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.