Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

RCC policy on members "soliciting" random guests to come into the club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCC policy on members "soliciting" random guests to come into the club

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:12 pm

My opinion, it is "bad form" to taunt the matrons by guesting someone they just rejected. Human nature exists, right?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
Why don't the clubs have rules that give you a certain number of guest passes to use each year? So when you are occiasionally traveling with 3, 4 or 5 people, you could choose to use that many passes, especially when otherwise you are alone? That approach would give the member more flexibility and the club could better control the number of random guests vs real guests.
Good idea! ^ It could all be tracked electronically so that you wouldn't have to worry about carrying around slips of paper.

The main complication I could see would be that you'd have trouble finding a set # of passes that would work for everyone. For weekly travelers, they might be used to inviting several guests per week and need 100 passes or more for to cover their current usage. For less frequent travelers, that number could easily be excessive and encourage the same kind of invite-a-stranger problem (if you want to call it that) that's been discussed in this thread.

Maybe it could be based on some base number plus something based on your RCC usage, i.e. the more often you use the RCC, the more guest passes you get. Also, you'd definitely need to cap the number of guests even with this kind of system -- there's no way you'd want to allow someone to bring in 20 guests unless the RCC was completely empty.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:23 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Originally Posted by honmani2
Now this is an interesting point. Does it have the same philosophical underpinning? For example, you see someone in uniform and you want to help the person out. Is it okay to go up to the GA and request an E+ seat since your status allows another passenger to sit in E+?

The rules state that you are allowed to sponsor one person to sit in E+. Or what if you're traveling with your spouse and you both have status? The rules allow you to have two people sit in E+ in that situation.

Why not approach a couple, say, a young woman with a child and offer to get them into E+?

You can see where this train of thought is going, eh?
I have used my 500 milers to get service people into first. Helping a young mother sound like a good idea to me.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
IMO, it doesn't really qualify as a "random act of kindness" in the true spirit of that sentiment if you also "randomly" create an imposition on someone else, i.e. by bringing some lout into the RCC who detracts from everyone else's experience there. I'm not arguing against allowing guests into the RCC or for requiring any sort of "qualification" for guests, but I don't think you should feel like you're performing some great public service just by inviting random people into the RCC -- particularly if you then break the rules and don't stay with them, leaving any obnoxious behavior on their part to be endured only by the others in the RCC.
A random act of kindness is not a public service; it's just a little unexpected gesture from one person to another. And why would you assume that a stranger would be a lout? I assume that most people are decent human beings. And I would ask them to leave the club when I do.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:03 pm

Now this is an interesting point. Does it have the same philosophical underpinning? For example, you see someone in uniform and you want to help the person out. Is it okay to go up to the GA and request an E+ seat since your status allows another passenger to sit in E+?

The rules state that you are allowed to sponsor one person to sit in E+. Or what if you're traveling with your spouse and you both have status? The rules allow you to have two people sit in E+ in that situation.

Why not approach a couple, say, a young woman with a child and offer to get them into E+?

How thoughtful and kind! I commend you for considering such action. I am ashamed to say I never considered it...my family travels with me often and they are both 1P so.....
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
You mean some other freeloaders got in and scoffed down those Lobsters?
God forbid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by par
I try to invite members of the armed forces whenever possible. I usually chat with the folks in line at SFO anyway (i'm a bit of a bubbly personality). I met this young kid from atlanta who was on his way to Yokohama for a new posting. He had already been travelling from Atlanta to San Diego and on to SFO (his orders came from san diego but he had taken a quick weekend trip to visit his family in atlant). making a long story short, i had him admitted into the intl' F lounge and we had an enjoyable discussion. The UA staff didn't say a word to me (but i've never had anyone at UA question me about my quests).

On another UA trip SFO - NRT i met an Air Force Air Traffic Controller going for his japan assignment at Yokota Air Base. I had him admitted to the intl F lounge in SFO without any questions asked. I usually tell the staff that i am bringing a member of our armed forces with me as a guest and that generally makes anyone refrain from questioning my choice of guests.

For the record, having been travelling on orders (and usually in the back of really noisy transport planes) i will go out of my way to make anyone serving their country comfortable when travelling. And i have never encountered anything but the highest level of courtesy and respect for others from the men and women in uniform.
Congratulations...and I will be more sensitive to these opportunities to say "thanks for your service". I just had not thought of seeking others out...sign me insensitive and dumb!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by last2board
A random act of kindness is not a public service; it's just a little unexpected gesture from one person to another. And why would you assume that a stranger would be a lout? I assume that most people are decent human beings. And I would ask them to leave the club when I do.
I'm not assuming that a stranger would be a lout, but some people are. If you actually follow the rules and stay with your guest, as I said above, I don't have a problem with it because you're taking responsibility and facing any issues that your guest might create by behaving inappropriately. And in most cases, hopefully, there won't be any issues anyways, so all the better.

My point about random acts of kindness is that you're not really doing a good deed if someone else is "paying" for your kindness. And if you bring someone, parciularly someone you don't know, into the RCC and then leave them there and they end up being an annoyance to the other people in the RCC, that's exactly what you're doing -- making others pay for your "kindness".
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'd go even further to say that's the basic rule of UA.

True true true!. This story is a classic example of the UAL attitude towards their customers.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm a member. I'm allowed to bring a guest. If I choose to bring one that has been just been bounced by the RCC staff, not my problem. It's theirs. My PAID ($$) membership says I can bring a guest. It doesn't say someone married, engaged, living, relative, best friend, guy (or gal) you picked up on the plane or in the fast food line, bathroom, etc, etc.

Having said that, do I normally bring in random folk? No. Have I helped out others? You bet. Have they helped me out - you bet. What goes around comes around.

One time in St. Petersburg (Russia) I was screwed by LH on my F seat, but was allowed access to lounge due to *Gold. Guy next to me was screwed in paid F to lounge (St Pete to Sydney; not sure what LH's prob was), but my Diners card lounge access got him in to the lounge. He did some fancy talking on-board & got me my orig F seat (on the short hop) as a thank you for my getting him into the lounge. I was fine (normal F seat) on the long hop & not sure what the problem was short-hop.

During the very rare time I bring someone else in I do say to them that they are my guest & expected to behave accordingly, that they need to leave w/ me or at least behave if I leave first. I have no problem w/ that; if they do, they can go back out to the concourse.

I do ask on the few occasions (and it is VERY few) when someone asks me for entry, why? I can usually tell if they're legit or not.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 26, 2006 at 12:01 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:48 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by 747LWW
How thoughtful and kind! I commend you for considering such action. I am ashamed to say I never considered it...my family travels with me often and they are both 1P so.....
As a former Boy Scout, old habits die hard.

Now, if every person with status were to upgrade someone into E+. . . hey, why not, eh?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by Tennen
Actually, the opposite happened to me a while ago at IAD. A couple in front of me was denied entry, and I mentioned to the agent that I'd be happy to bring them in as my guests. The agent was very cool with it, and later on mentioned to me that it was really nice of me to do that.

The couple, on the other hand, barely mumbled a "thanks," dashed off to engorge (and I do mean, engorge) themselves at the "buffet," and moved to the farthest corner of the club. I won't get into the details on how they started bragging into their cell phones and treated others in the club. When they left, I noticed that the table they were at was totally trashed - littered with crumbs, wrappers, napkins, glasses, and plates. Totally classless. Their behavior made me regret the decision to bring them in.

While I've had very thankful "guests," (particularly at NRT years ago) I do understand the agents' reluctance to let people in that way. Maybe they see too much of this kind of inappropriate behavior?
This is exactly why I don't agree with people soliciting unknown guests - you never know who/what they are about.

Perhaps the agents in the original story should have reminded the RCC member that s/he would be 100% responsible for the behavior and consequences of the random guests. Might make him/her think twice.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
One time in St. Petersburg (Russia) I was screwed by LH on my F seat, but was allowed access to lounge due to *Gold. Guy next to me was screwed in paid F to lounge (St Pete to Sydney; not sure what LH's prob was), but my Diners card lounge access got him in to the lounge. He did some fancy talking on-board & got me my orig F seat (on the short hop) as a thank you for my getting him into the lounge. I was fine (normal F seat) on the long hop & not sure what the problem was short-hop.

Cheers.

You have no clue about LH or ???. LH has No F on MUC - LED..

So your whole story seems a bit dogy. Its all 319/320/321 which only has C and Y seats ...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 5:15 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold

Actually, the rules state that you can sponsor one person to sit in an E+ seat who's on the same PNR as you ... and that seat needs to be next to you (most likely a middle seat, though on some larger aircraft, it might not).

So UAL has already taken this into account.

As for the RCC, I'm with most people: the rules say you can bring whomever you want. So you can. But the RCC has the right to hold you responsible if that person breaks the rules... which according to the agreement you sign, means that they have the right to revoke your membership. I think that's a fair deal. But agents telling you that you can't bring someone in ... wholely inappropriate.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:47 am

There is an often repeated theme in this thread that most people we might randomly invite into the lounge will automatically be someone who does not know how to behave in public. So where and with whom are you folks hanging out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.