Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are stopovers permitted using Mileage Plus Award to AKL via SYD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are stopovers permitted using Mileage Plus Award to AKL via SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Folks Thai have not flown trans tasman (SYD-AKL) for a year or so now.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Folks Thai have not flown trans tasman (SYD-AKL) for a year or so now.
Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got 1 Biz and 1 Econ seat booked, with stopover at CHC

ANA award information proved accurate in our case.

I just finished booking this itinerary. The agent was kind of blunt and did not want to hear me giving her the flight info segment by segment. She insisted to know the dates of travel first, and even said that "I prefer do it my way." I almost wanted to hung up but politely explained one more time what I wanted and how I had researched and the information should save both our time ...

Anyway, I got it done, and put them on hold till Monday midnight with TWO PNRs with cross-reference. I will call back tomorrow to ask an agent to read over the itinerary to me again as unlike AA, UA does not show unticketed reservation on web, nor send out unticketed itinerary. Given her crude response, I would want to make sure things are done right, including waitlist to F on the domestic transcon both outbound and inbound. (only coach is available at this moment).

The itinerary is :

FLL/DEN/SFO

SFO/AKL on NZ 7, connect to NZ 543 12 hours later at 17:30 to CHC. (instead of sitting at airport for 4 hours for the 9am flight, I think it would be better to get to town for 1/2 a day - make a good use of the <24 hr layover rule)
Stopover at CHC.

CHC/SYD on NZ 781. Our destination actually is BNE, but there is only 1 biz seat and no econ seat available between AKL/BNE and on 1 flight only - incredible. Originally we have not planned to stay in SYD but now it seems we will and just take Virgin Blue or QF Redtail flight to BNE.

SYD/AKL NZ 104, connect to NZ 8 to SFO.

Then the following day, after 23 1/2 hour layover, SFO/ORD/FLL.

The agent at first balked at the date of SFO/FLL leg, said I used up the stopover at CHC already. I said it was less than 24 hours and should be allowed. She then agreed. I am surprised she could book that part though as UAL.Com wont let me pick 5/04 as travel date, said it was outside the 330 day window (1 day?), but the agent seemed to be able to book it. Not sure why as when I checked UAL.Com, it already passed midnight.

I also verified with her that if a biz seat becomes available I can change my PNR to biz by paying the $100 fee.

The tax is 95.40 each for either biz or econ ticket. I am surprised by the seemingly low tax comparing to travelling to Europe.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy

The tax is 95.40 each for either biz or econ ticket. I am surprised by the seemingly low tax comparing to travelling to Europe.
Wait until they add on the "security surcharge". That alone is much more than you quote.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Thanks for the information, it sure helps to have done your homework. What are you travel dates?
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait until they add on the "security surcharge". That alone is much more than you quote.
Could you elaborate more the security surcharge ? The agent did not mention any of such. I know Europe flights have a much higher tax/fee schedule.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel dates outbound late March inbound early May.

Originally Posted by swdke
Thanks for the information, it sure helps to have done your homework. What are you travel dates?
I changed the outbound from SFO/AKL to LAX/AKL as there are 2 biz seats available on NZ 5 but only 1 available on NZ 7. Still only 1 biz seat on the inbound AKL/SFO NZ 8 and 0 biz seat on AKL/LAX, or SYD/LAX, even on UA metal.

No domestic F due to no direct flight between Florida and West Coast by UA. All flights connect at either DEN or ORD and those are TED flights.

One agent is willing to wailist us on F on the SFO/ORD. but another agent says I have to call back to check and refuses to wailist us on F on the ORD/LAX.

Definitely do your homework on ANA site and on UA site to get your ducks in a row before you call UA.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Originally Posted by Happy
I will call back tomorrow to ask an agent to read over the itinerary to me again as unlike AA, UA does not show unticketed reservation on web, nor send out unticketed itinerary. Given her crude response, I would want to make sure things are done right, including waitlist to F on the domestic transcon both outbound and inbound. (only coach is available at this moment).

Congratulations on your upcoming award travel to Paradise. One question for you however, why are you unable to see your unticketed reservations on the UA website? I have never had a problem pulling up my itinerary, whether ticketed or not. Currently I am sitting on six unticketed upcoming trips -- all are viewable on the site. Is it simply award travel that would be unavailable?

Again, congrats on your success. ChC is one of my favorite places.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agent mis-informed me. The reservation is viewable.

Originally Posted by Flyin4MAG
One question for you however, why are you unable to see your unticketed reservations on the UA website?
This is the first time I booked UA award. With AA even it is a reservation only AA would generate email for itinerary purpose only. Also AA award has a 2 week holding window which can be extended under certain circumstances. I had several occasions when seats I really wanted were released within the 2 week timeframe. UA award has a measly 3 day window and that stings. Though I consider myself very lucky today being able to find TWO biz seats on NZ 5.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
Again, congrats on your upcoming travels. I will be in ChC in Jan -- but not on award travel. Although I have never given it the serious work you have, I have been unsuccessful in each attempt I have made.

Glad to hear that you award res was viewable.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ticketed them tonight.

No "security surcharge" - the tax and fee show the following :

$10.00 AY, $85.49 XT, total $95.49 and of course the $15 phone ticketing fee which will not show up on e-tix but will be on the credit card.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I noted the same thing while shopping online that Happy did, that being relatively modest taxes and fees for US-Oz on Saver Awards. I wonder if they bite you worse originating from Oz on such tickets....?

Europe seemed almost twice as much...

Pat
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:23 pm

Booking 330 Days Out W/ Ua Miles

I've noticed that people are able to hold outbound flights until later, when the return flights fall into the 330-day window, thereby booking all seats within hours (or minutes) after they become available...

But has anyone done this using UA miles to fly on NZ ?

The UA agents are telling me they can hold my outbound flight until inbound inventory becomes available later, but only if I'm on UA.

If using Mileage Plus miles to fly on NZ, they say I have to wait until the inbound flights are within the 330-day window and then book the whole trip at that time. (In other words, I have to wait until the return flights are all within the 330 days, thereby risking that outbound flights are gone.

What I'm trying to do is
May 25, 2007: SFO-AKL (stopover) on NZ
May 27, 2007: AKL-SYD on NZ
June 4: SYD-SFO on UA

Anyone who has attempted this, please let me know if I should just plan on waiting to book this. thanks much.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told the same thing, had to wait for the inbound also came available in order to reserve.

Looking at your itinerary, you may also want to check the SFO/LAX/NZ routing - there are 2 direct flights from LAX thus seats are easier to find than the single daily flight SFO/NZ. You can even return to AKL from SYD for your inbound leg. If you are willing to take AC via HNL, there are plenty of availability even on J.

If you are looking for Y seats, they are obviously available more than 2 seats on each flight. If you are looking for J seats, then via LAX has a much greater chance for 2. We took LAX/AKL/CHC on NZ and AKL/SFO on NZ (domestic legs are FLL/ORD/LAX outbound, with 23.5 hour layover and SFO/ORD/FLL inbound, again with 23.5 hour layover).

Originally Posted by jmartin
The UA agents are telling me they can hold my outbound flight until inbound inventory becomes available later, but only if I'm on UA.

If using Mileage Plus miles to fly on NZ, they say I have to wait until the inbound flights are within the 330-day window and then book the whole trip at that time. (In other words, I have to wait until the return flights are all within the 330 days, thereby risking that outbound flights are gone.

What I'm trying to do is
May 25, 2007: SFO-AKL (stopover) on NZ
May 27, 2007: AKL-SYD on NZ
June 4: SYD-SFO on UA

Anyone who has attempted this, please let me know if I should just plan on waiting to book this. thanks much.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:53 pm

Good advice

Thanks much for the advice -- I guess I will have to wait until the inbound becomes available before booking...

Also, I will consider LAX - that's good advice -- I prefer SFOto spend 6 or 8 hours before the AKL flight just because I've never had the opportunity to see SFO outside the airport. I figure with public transit, 6 or 8 hrs. should be time enough to do something fun in San Fran before heading to AKL...

But if there's no availability from SFO, I'll definitily do LAX instead.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.