Anyone achieve 1K on segments?

Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:27 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Anyone achieve 1K on segments?

I'm at 48 EQS so far for the year, expect to be at 60 (1P) within another week (actually, 9 days) and anticipate 100 EQS (1K) by the end of October.

Anyone else out there as crazy as me?

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jun 6, 2006 at 10:35 am
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
No way--sounds scary! My EQM:EQS ratio is about 3000:1, so I'm not even close.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: ua 1k, Marriott gold, Hilton Platinum
I hit 1K on about Dec 1st flying 900 mile legs each week to and from work mostly on CRJ's. Not my idea of a good time.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:40 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I fly on plenty of CRJ's but also a mix of Ted to MCO/TPA/FLL/MIA as well as mainline equipment through ORD on my way to midwest locations. As I am based in IAD, I get to fly on a bunch of 767's and 777's between ORD and IAD as well.

Oddly enough, I'm not burned out on this routine yet.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: ua 1k, Marriott gold, Hilton Platinum
Wink

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I fly on plenty of CRJ's but also a mix of Ted to MCO/TPA/FLL/MIA as well as mainline equipment through ORD on my way to midwest locations. As I am based in IAD, I get to fly on a bunch of 767's and 777's between ORD and IAD as well.

Oddly enough, I'm not burned out on this routine yet.
I booked through SFO this week on a 777 just for grins. Just got my upgrade so it should be a bit nicer than UX and that great snack box.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:55 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I did last year. I had something like 89 BIS segments and paid to double the ones toward the end of the year (I think I had 24 or so within the promo period) and bump me well up over 110.

I got 1P the previous year by segments (flew mid-60's IIRC) and 2P the previous year on segments.

Yes, it is crazy. By the end of the year, last year, I was sick of planes and airports. This year, I am hoping to qualify on miles for the first time, although it will likely be for just 1P again and not 1K.

A large portion of my normal flying is on UX, so I've always had only segments to qualify on previously. This year has had (and will have) several transcons, which are giving me better miles.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I get 1K every year with segments. 143 EQS last year.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Yeah, I guess I am that crazy. I have 87 segments so far this year, with my booked flights through July I will be at 113 segments (over half are on Ted!). It sounds bad, but it really hasn't been too bad at all. My coworkers think I am crazy for not taking WN non-stop MCI-LAS, but for me the extra hour or so of travel time is worth it.

Plus my travel pattern should be changing later this year or early next with more transcon and international flights so I can fully take advantage of my hard earned 1K.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The two years I was 1K (before a job change and some other stuff reduced my travel), I made 1K on segments: 101 one year, and 103 the other. In both cases about 60K miles.

Lots of intra-California SMF-SFO-SJC-SBA-ONT/SNA trips, and lots of 4-5 segments trips home to the Bay Area from IND/STL.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: UA member..., Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Club
Every year

I hit on segments first then later make it on EQM also. Holiday in Europe helps the EQM.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I did one year with barely crossing the 100k BIS - majority of my segments were 500's. I don't want to do it again.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 1 MM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'm sitting at 73 right now. 2 more planned this week, then 4 next week, 2 the following. So by end of June I'll be at 81.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
100 segments isn't as bad as it sounds, even living in a hub. I do 75 most years. If hotel prices keep on going up, I'm probably going to start shifting to more day trips for my clients in the 400-600 mile range.

The problem will be that for many OD pairs, United will no longer be cost-competitive for that kind of trip, because the ORD morning bank capacity has been significantly cut. One morning CR7 (or worse yet, one ERJ-145) just doesn't cut it on routes where UA competes with WN, especially when mainline is available at midday or late afternoon.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
I'm at 48 segments so far and the 2nd half of the year should be busier than the first half. I average about 900 miles/segment.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Segments all the way for me -- both for 1K since '95 and largely for MM last year. My avg. milg/seg = betw. 550-650/yr; and MM took even longer to get a/c Shuttle by United gave only actual mileage with no 500-mile min. and I took a lot of those flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.