Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How to NOT pay $100 change/cancel award ticket fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2006, 8:21 am
Original Poster

I have a Standard award that I was unable to use. I want to book a new flight and know I will incur the $100 reissue fee. I've heard one way to avoid the fee is to change the date 1 year in advance and hope the flight is canceled. Does this work? What are some other options that you know about? Thanks for the help.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluvcf
I have a Standard award that I was unable to use. I want to book a new flight and know I will incur the $100 reissue fee. I've heard one way to avoid the fee is to change the date 1 year in advance and hope the flight is canceled. Does this work? What are some other options that you know about? Thanks for the help.
If you're not 1K or UGS, I think there is a $100 fee to change dates anyway.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
One and only way!
Old May 13, 2006, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Called United, there is no fee to change dates of travel up to a year after original booking. Changing point of origin/destination, adding stopover, basically changing routing in any way WILL incur the fee. You see my original award ticket was to go to Vancouver to visit a relative who has since moved and so I have no reason to go there.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
(disregard - got in too late and what I had to say was already posted..)
Old May 14, 2006, 7:33 am

Programs: UAL Silver!, Starwood Gold, Marriott Plat, AA Exec Platinum
There is always a good reason to visit Vancouver, friend or no friend! And you can use the $100 service fee to take yourself out for dinner in the process. Don't forget to take a trip to Stanley Park.

TT
Old May 14, 2006, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Thankfully there is no fee to simply change dates even for UA MileagePlus General Members either. It's been that way for the better part of at least the last 5 years -- or at least at all the times I've redeemed an award and wanted nothing more than a simple date change. (Even as a non-1K.)

One can pay a $100 fee to change the routing if so desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.