Never heard this from a pilot before

Old May 14, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot
Visibility yesterday in Boston was the lowest I have seen in years.

My office window is about 200 feet above the ground; there were times during the day when I could not see the ground. Landing at Logan yesterday definitely required pilots to be Cat II or even Cat III current.
I was on UA 1216, DEN-BOS, on Friday, and it was the best Channel 9 learning experience I've had. According to the pilot, it was 1/4 mile visibility & 100 foot cloud ceiling, which I believe would put the conditions right on the edge between CAT II & III. Before landing, we were placed into a holding pattern over Gardner, MA, and the ATC folk were asking the pilots about the RVR needed for their aircraft (all were saying the published minimums.) After leaving the hold, the only lights you could see through the clouds were those of Fenway Park (they got a game in Friday!!, albeit rain-shortened), and no one had any idea we were about to land--suddenly, we were just down. I looked at my seatmate & we both had a look of, "Where did that come from?"

Looking at airnav.com, it appears BOS only has one CAT II/CAT III certified runway (4R), and thus operations were seriously slowed on Friday--most of the later IAD arrivals were cancelled entirely. While as of Sun. afternoon, it's not CAT II (based on looking out my window), it's not going to be pretty here for the next two or three days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.