Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
Last plan and "Flat Tire" Rule How does it work Here?

Hello,
I am booked on the last plan ord-las. If I miss the plain and would ask for the flat tire rule do they but me on the next day early morning flight or am I just out of luck. Anyone with experiences ? Can the 1k Help desk set that up or do you have to sprint to the airport ? thanks for any insider information
JR
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by juergenritz
I am booked on the last plan ord-las. If I miss the plain and would ask for the flat tire rule do they but me on the next day early morning flight or am I just out of luck. Anyone with experiences ? Can the 1k Help desk set that up or do you have to sprint to the airport ? thanks for any insider information
IMHO the only way for this to work is to show up late at the airport and most likely they will put you on stand by list for the following flight the next morning. They don't have to do this, however.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
They don't have to do this, however.
Wrong. From S*FAR/STANDBY:

MISSED TRIP PROVISIONS:
-----------------------
`FOR INTERNATIONAL GUIDELINES SEE: >S*FAR/RULE 80

IF THE PASSENGER HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND
TICKETS MISSES THE FLIGHT AND PRESENTS HIMSELF/HERSELF
AT THE UA DEPARTURE AIRPORT TICKET COUNTER AFTER THE
CLOSE OUT OF THE SCHEDULED FLIGHT AND NO LATER THAN 2
HOURS AFTER THE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME: THE PASSENGER
WILL BE ACCOMMODATED ON A STANDBY BASIS ON THE NEXT
AVAILABLE UA FLIGHT `EVEN IF THE NEXT DAY) AND THE
SERVICE CHARGE/CHANGE FEE WILL BE WAIVED."
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
thanks
JR
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by alliance
Wrong. From S*FAR/STANDBY:
Good to know that!

Anyway airport personnel typically have more flexibility than what one can achieve over the phone on situation like this.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Then again......if the last flight departs at 9PM, and UA closes the check-in couters by 10PM, who is going to put you on standby if you show up at 10:30?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
Then again......if the last flight departs at 9PM, and UA closes the check-in couters by 10PM, who is going to put you on standby if you show up at 10:30?
The OP is departing ORD, so I think they will have someone around.

I have done the "flat tire" thing from the parking lot calling on my mobile phone, so I don't think you need to be there in person. That said, in my experience, the GA can clear you from the standby list for the next flight if they feel like it, whereas the phone agent usually does not. YMMV.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
I have done the "flat tire" thing from the parking lot calling on my mobile phone, so I don't think you need to be there in person. That said, in my experience, the GA can clear you from the standby list for the next flight if they feel like it, whereas the phone agent usually does not. YMMV.
I wonder if that actually falls under the different (but overlapping) same-day standby policy? You can always be added to the same-day standby list, but the above missed trip policy kicks in when you physically show up at the counter within 2 hours after departure.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
2 Hour Rule On United?

I saw this question posted for US Airways but wanted to know what was the answer for United:

If you are flying on a paid ticket and for whatever reason you show up to the airport late, is there certain time frame within which United will put you on a later flight without a penalty? For example, with US Airways this time frame is 2 hours.

Any input?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
If you are flying on a paid ticket and for whatever reason you show up to the airport late, is there certain time frame within which United will put you on a later flight without a penalty? For example, with US Airways this time frame is 2 hours.

Any input?
For domestic flights, baggage must be checked at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure. I believe that you must be available for boarding 30 minutes before departure or you may forfeit your seat.

This has worked for me.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by m60521
For domestic flights, baggage must be checked at least 45 minutes before scheduled departure. I believe that you must be available for boarding 30 minutes before departure or you may forfeit your seat.
I think the premise of the question is that you forfeited your seat because you arrived at the airport 30 minutes (or three hours) AFTER departure! My guess is they'll let you standby for a later flight, assuming there is one, but I don't know if you needed to notify them first. And what if you already checked in online?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
I saw this question posted for US Airways but wanted to know what was the answer for United:

Any input?
Yes, United has what's known as the "flat-tire" rule, which entitles passengers who show up at the ticket counter within two hours of their schedule departure to be put on standby for the next available flight, even if it is the following day.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by m60521

This has worked for me.
I think the OP is asking about missing a flight within a certain timeframe, not about how early one must arrive at the airport prior to departure.

Great question, by the way. I have missed several flights by 1/2 hour or so and have always been rebooked without penalty. Does anyone know how late one could arrive at the airport and still be rebooked without penalty? Is it handled on a case-by-case, agent-by-agent basis, or is there official policy?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by lancelot21
I think the premise of the question is that you forfeited your seat because you arrived at the airport 30 minutes (or three hours) AFTER departure! My guess is they'll let you standby for a later flight, assuming there is one, but I don't know if you needed to notify them first. And what if you already checked in online?
If you already checked in (for example, online) you must call to cancel your checkin or technically they do not have to apply the two-hour "flat-tire" rule. In practice, gate agents tend to offload checked-in passengers that no-show for flights, especially if they checked in online and the flight isn't fully booked. YMMV

Here is a link to United's "missed trip provision" rule:
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/S%2AFAR/STANDBY
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I didn't realize the "flat tire" rule was limited to 2 hours. I thought you just had to show up the same day anytime and you could go standby on the next available flight for no charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.