Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Mileage Plus Choices

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP Platinum
Exclamation

Forgot to mention at the top, this is unofficial/unaccounced so far....
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Here's what gets me:

"*Any redemption activity that uses Choices will result in an equivalent reduction in your Redeemable Miles balance."

So, in some ways, Choices are separate from RDMs -- like when booking Award travel, they will take RDMs first then dip into Choices if needed.

But, if I redeem the 36,819 choices I have right now for a $368 credit for the tickets I purchased in the past 90 days, I will also lose 36,819 RDMs.

I guess this seems a little too confusing for the type of "customer-friendly" program this is supposed to be. It reminds me of that McDonald's promo where, for their 59th anniversary, you could buy things for 59 cents, but only if you had purchased certain other things that met certain criteria.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Here's an example as recent as today: UA MP is incapable of giving me an LH award seat on LH457 in F on June 9. OTOH, LH M&M, ANA MC and pretty much every other *A program (mabe except for US DM) can get me that award seat without a problem! Just to be clear: StarNet shows O class availability through the ANA website (where I could book it with MC miles), LH M&M also lets me book the very same award through their website, and doing an O class longsale on Worldspan shows availability for that seat, as well. Still, UA keeps claiming they can't see it, they can't book it, and there's nothing they can do. And no, UA doesn't offer any saver award seats on UA metal on any routing, either. Result: useless miles. Luckily, I also own a million M&M miles that, as it turns out, become more valuable (at least compared to MP) every day.
I (along with some other regulars here) talked about this with United representatives at the Freddies last night. They said that each * carrier can make differing amounts of award seats available to each * carrier. In other words, there is not some general bucket of seats that is released to * as a whole. In your case, for example, the situation could be that LH opened up a seat for UA redemption on that flight and someone already claimed that seat with his/her MP miles.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by espostor
Here's what gets me:

"*Any redemption activity that uses Choices will result in an equivalent reduction in your Redeemable Miles balance."

So, in some ways, Choices are separate from RDMs -- like when booking Award travel, they will take RDMs first then dip into Choices if needed.

But, if I redeem the 36,819 choices I have right now for a $368 credit for the tickets I purchased in the past 90 days, I will also lose 36,819 RDMs.

I guess this seems a little too confusing for the type of "customer-friendly" program this is supposed to be. It reminds me of that McDonald's promo where, for their 59th anniversary, you could buy things for 59 cents, but only if you had purchased certain other things that met certain criteria.

Heh. You will lose 36819 Choices (which can be converted to RDM). The difference is that your ticket, while costing > 25k RDM you need for an award ticket, will earn you RDM/EQM, not to mention that you are buying a ticket so you don't have to hope for award ticket availability.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Axey
In your case, for example, the situation could be that LH opened up a seat for UA redemption on that flight and someone already claimed that seat with his/her MP miles.
No, the F cabin is almost emtpy. Only I, nobody else, has an award reservation there. I already cross-checked this with LH.

It's simple: UA (and US) get or want fewer award seats than all other *A carries, especially in premium classes. My guess is that UA is actively limiting their availability themselves, because they don't want to pay for these awards. As we know, *A awards on non-UA metal are the most expensive awards for MP.

Btw, it's not just this flight. I checked many others where I could find and book an F award seat with ANA MC and LH M&M in an otherwise completely empty F cabin - still a no-go with UA MP.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
This could be great for a late year MR for status. Say I could get a 7K EQM domestic MR for $200 and then used 20000 "choice points" for it. I could get 14K RDMs (miles plus 1P 100% bonus) so in essence I'd be out spending 6000 miles for $200 (3.3 cpm) but would gain 7K eqms. Or looking at it another way, 6K RDMs for 7K EQMs. Sure a lot better than burning 50K RDMs for 5K EQMs!

Last edited by fzwinter; Apr 28, 2006 at 5:50 pm
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by fzwinter
This could be great for a late year MR for status. Say I could get a 7K EQM domestic MR for $200 and then used 20000 "choice points" for it. I could get 14K RDMs (miles plus 1P 100% bonus) so in essence I'd be out spending 6000 miles for $200 (3.3 cpm) but would gain 7K eqms.
I agree. Also as other have hinted, this effectively may allow one to earn EQM and RDM and BIS miles for award travel.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by espostor
Here's what gets me:

This is not clear to me. It says in a different place that Choices Miles add to the balance, so it might be that if you start with 1000 regular miles, add 500 choices miles, and use 500 choices miles, like for EQMs, you are back at 1000, not reduced to 500. If so, then this is a free benefit.

But I can't really tell.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:11 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yogi
I can see the utility in competitive markets where the ticket (fare?) price is less than $400, $250 or $150 based on standard, saver and short haul. You can use left over miles earned on the company dime to pay the taxes and fees on those award tickets.
@:-)
Wait a minute. What about using your choices to get a credit to your account after your company has reimbursed you for travel on their dime?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:40 pm

Programs: MP - 1K
My thoughts exactly. This seems like a great way to monetize business travel and get cash!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by flysurfer
..Currently, I have only about 500,000 miles on my MP account...Luckily, I also own a million M&M miles that, as it turns out, become more valuable (at least compared to MP) every day.
Given your excellent memory and love for belligerent adjectives and nouns, I
probably do not have to repeat your rating on my mileage piling habit, do I?
Keywords would be 'addict' and 'alcoholic' .
BTW - you beat me on the M&L side now: I fell below the million in January
and ever since have not come back .... much unlike my MP miles ...
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:46 pm

What's so hard about the way the VISA works today. If I buy stuff then I get RDMs. If I buy tickets on United then I got some EQMs too (for a while) and extra RDMs. That is easy. This new thing is confusing.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by weero
Given your excellent memory and love for belligerent adjectives and nouns
LOL! Did you really google me that hard that you ended up reading some of my film reviews?

Last edited by flysurfer; Apr 28, 2006 at 8:02 pm
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:47 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
What's so hard about the way the VISA works today. If I buy stuff then I get RDMs. If I buy tickets on United then I got some EQMs too (for a while) and extra RDMs. That is easy. This new thing is confusing.
You can keep using the VISA as you always used it, the new system makes no difference to you if you don't want it.

Easy is not always best. It would be easiest to just shut down MP. Then if I pay, I get to fly. If I want to fly, I pay. All these RDM, EQM, standard awards, saver awards, capacity controls, and other rules are confusing.

But give me MP and all its confusion over no MP and no confusion any day.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by yogi
Totally UNOFFICIAL/UNANNOUNCED as of 4/28/06

Introducing Mileage Plus Choices

It's a new points system tied to usage of your MP Visa Card. Pay for tickets, hotel stays, rental cars, E+ and EQM. Actually looks pretty good from what I can see so far.

Program FAQ

The website has been quiet lately, now we know what the elves have been working on....
I presume that everyone who has posted has been able to see for themselves the details of this new program. I can't get anything to come up for me with these links, however. All I see is headings and blank pages, with no text or anything else there. Have the webpages come down, or are they still up there? If they are still there, why couldn't I see them and how might I go about doing so now? I am eager to see the details of the new "game" for myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.