Wiki Posts
Search

$200 change fee?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Angry $200 change fee?

Try to follow this:

Booked trip from ORD to SNG in Mar05 for $900. Trip cancelled -- got a voucher for the unused ticket

Used voucher for trip from ORD to LHR and AMS to ORD. Price was an increase so I paid $270 increase in fee. Trip was scheduled for Jun06, but I cancelled.

Reschedule trip for Aug06 ORD to LHR (and back). Listed fare was ~$200 cheaper than what I paid for the previous trip.

UAL tells me that to rebook the trip the 3rd time I have to pay a $200 rebooking fee.

Did I just get robbed?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
OK I tried to follow it.

The $200 is for a change to an international trip when you have a non-refundable fare, so no you didn't get 'robbed'.

If your first fare was non-refundable also, your voucher should have been for $700 ($900 - $200 change fee). If you actually got a voucher for $900, and didnt have to pay a change fee the first time then you got lucky.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Try to book the Aug trip again. Ask the agent to book you at a higher fare, one that is close to, but just a tad higher than the credit you have. So long as you "buy up" you should not have to pay a change fee at all. But if you reticket to a lower fare, you are subject to the change fee.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zrs70
So long as you "buy up" you should not have to pay a change fee at all.
Usually, but not always. It depends on the two previous fare bases. Some fares do not have the buyup provision, and you have to go by the most restrictive basis in your "chain".
Old Apr 27, 2006, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I guess if I'd known before I made the call that I was going to get charged (and I want to emphasize that my previous rebooking did not have that $200 rebooking fee) would have been OK with it.

I was also combining that trip with an award trip with my girlfriend, and there was very limited availability on other days, so I kinda feel 'lucky' but I didn't feel so lucky when I was asked to cough up $200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.