FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   This doesn't feel right -- I have higher status than my boss (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/548961-doesnt-feel-right-i-have-higher-status-than-my-boss.html)

ButIsItArt Apr 17, 2006 4:56 pm

This doesn't feel right -- I have higher status than my boss

...and my boss is a very senior SVP. It doesn't seem like it should be this way in the great order of things. Help me, follow FT'ers feel not so bad about this...

flyinryan Apr 17, 2006 5:11 pm

This sounds like a great problem to have. Here's hoping you are both on the same flight in the near future!
Wait...do you like your boss?

shortcut3d Apr 17, 2006 5:14 pm

This is not all that uncommon. The younger less expensive people travel a lot to optimize cost associated with travel and travel time. Chances are your boss doesn't even want to travel and prefers to make you go out there and do the "dirty" work. Not to mention company travel policies usually allow Directors and VPs to travel F/C. Its all to expensive and time consuming. So they cram you in E-, on non-refundable fares and let you suffer the airport nightmare. Plus, when you are unavailable no one crys or misses you. :D

Kestrel Apr 17, 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
...and my boss is a very senior SVP. It doesn't seem like it should be this way in the great order of things. Help me, follow FT'ers feel not so bad about this...

How often does she travel? It may well be that her time is more "valuable" than miles/status, so whoever books her tickets find the most convenient routing with the least travel time, regardless of airline. So her miles get spread over various airlines instead of concentrated, as mine (and I'm guessing yours) do. Or as shortcut3d wrote, you may just travel more!

Since I book my own business travel, I'm able to chose UA most of the time (while staying on the right side of our corporate travel policy, of course ;) ). I can "afford" to give up an hour or two in return for the miles. I also maximize my personal travel on UA.

I'm sure you've worked hard for your status, so enjoy it! :)

LagunaBeach Apr 17, 2006 5:53 pm

I just gifted my boss, the President of our company "Premier Associate". He emailed me back to thank me and tell me how grateful he was. He travels all over the US, but normally on whatever airline has the best schedule without having to connect. Hence he does not have elite status on any airlines.

deckman Apr 17, 2006 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
I just gifted my boss, the President of our company "Premier Associate". He emailed me back to thank me and tell me how grateful he was. He travels all over the US, but normally on whatever airline has the best schedule without having to connect. Hence he does not have elite status on any airlines.

Kiss *ss ;)

PHLGovFlyer Apr 17, 2006 6:00 pm

I’ve managed to arrive at a higher overall status level (on multiple carriers) than my boss, his boss, and his boss, so don’t sweat it. Of course, I never travel with any of them so it doesn’t become an issue…

And for the record, I’m not all that young and I earn as much as my immediate “boss” so saving money is not how this all happened. I just need to travel a lot for my job.

LagunaBeach Apr 17, 2006 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by deckman
Kiss *ss ;)

Bring on the chapstick! :p

DTW-HomeyFour Apr 17, 2006 6:15 pm

I also am much higher "elite" than my boss, but for the reasons listed here. He doesn't particularily like to travel, and his time is more valuable than mine to the company. If he is out galavanting, then he's not at the office making important decisions!

Plus it leaves me free to make crazy MR routings on my trips!

Mike Jacoubowsky Apr 17, 2006 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kestrel
How often does she travel? It may well be that her time is more "valuable" than miles/status, so whoever books her tickets find the most convenient routing with the least travel time, regardless of airline. So her miles get spread over various airlines instead of concentrated, as mine (and I'm guessing yours) do. Or as shortcut3d wrote, you may just travel more!

Since I book my own business travel, I'm able to chose UA most of the time (while staying on the right side of our corporate travel policy, of course ;) ). I can "afford" to give up an hour or two in return for the miles. I also maximize my personal travel on UA.

I'm sure you've worked hard for your status, so enjoy it! :)

Kestrel: Welcome to FlyerTalk! I've always wanted to do that, and especially for a fellow lowly 2P.

brahms77 Apr 17, 2006 6:31 pm

Well, while it may be a problem, if you are flying with your boss (who has lower status), it may be a nice gesture to give him some upgrades :)

WindFlyer Apr 17, 2006 6:57 pm

That's not a problem except perhaps if you travel together and your upgrade clears while his/hers doesn't...

...in that situation read post #5 :D :D

Kestrel Apr 17, 2006 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Help me, follow FT'ers feel not so bad about this...

So, have we helped? ;)

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Kestrel: Welcome to FlyerTalk! I've always wanted to do that, and especially for a fellow lowly 2P.

Thanks! I've learned an incredible amount by lurking for the last few months, and thought it was time to start posting. It's good to be a well-informed lowly 2P !

Mike Jacoubowsky Apr 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Thanks! I've learned an incredible amount by lurking for the last few months, and thought it was time to start posting. It's good to be a well-informed lowly 2P !

And it says you're not just a lowly 2P, but happy as well. You are on your way! lowly 2P evangelism at its best.

As for being well-informed, one of the best things about lowly 2P status is that nobody believes you have an axe to grind. If you sound as if you know something, you're assumed to be sincere. And, as hard as you might try, you'll have a very difficult time finding an example of a lowly 2P with a condescending attitude. :cool:

Life is good for the lowly 2P. ^ The only problem is the scariness of knowing that there are no steps on the ladder below you, only greased rails that take you straight to the bottom. :eek:

ButIsItArt Apr 17, 2006 7:19 pm

So, have we helped? ;)

Yes, I actually do feel kinda better now. :) My boss often has to fly out to such destinations as Shreveport, Topeka, Abeline, Mobile, and Scranton, while I rarely get on a plane going less than 2000 miles away. And I would much rather be doing my work on an airplane where I can enjoy a few bloody mary's, not have to answer emails and phone calls, and at the end of the day being someplace other than Shreveport, Topeka, &c.

Thinking about giving my boss some of my chits...I've got plenty