Search

Comp Hotel/misconnect 1K benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:58 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Comp Hotel/misconnect 1K benefit?

Will UA offer a comp hotel room as a 1K benefit if stranded due to misconnecting from late arrival?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Starwood Platinum
Most of the time yes, but not always if the flight was late due to weather. They're supposed to for 1Ks only, in the case of weather delays, but they don't always.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Yes

This is an internally published UA 1K and I'm sure UGS benefit. If you do a search, you can find the internal code that refers to it in UA's DRS. The DRS is essentially an electronic handbook or manual of many UA procedures that agents refer too. Also we have a couple of people on the board who have access to the UA DRS, and occasionally they have been so kind as to directly post some of these policies, so this one might be an interesting read as well.

I have found in 99% of cases they are very accommodating, but I have read instances where others on the board have had to give the UA agent the specific profile code to bring up this procedure.

Also keep in mind if there is a major disruption to operations, such as a blizard in IAD or ORD, UA and other airlines can and do run out of hotel rooms. If they run out of hotel rooms they will not be able to get you one, and perhaps they would give you a service check dollars off or something instead.

Basically UA normally electronically issues hotel vouchers. It is my understanding that each station has a block of hotel rooms, and an agent calls up a screen that shows what hotels are available, and then grabs the room out of availability....it almost seems like grabbing seats on a flight. I have had a case where the hotel they were trying to get got snatched by another agent in the same station, and they had to call someone to apparently get another hotel loaded in to availability.

Also this kind of thing might be done out of a system called "The Shell" but I am not 100% sure on that.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Here it is

S*ual/involuntary Reroute - Amenity
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
I've always been offered a hotel room as a 1k / UGS even for weather delays. As a UGS it is usually already booked before I arrive, and an agent meets the flight to hand over the vouchers. This is one of the key advantages of UGS IMO ^
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remembered these two related threads and found them with a quick search...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111352

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335032
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
From the 2005 Star Alliance Guide-

In the event of an “Uncontrollable” delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to Premium Customers (First, Business and Star Gold) travelling on an “Intercontinental” journey
Can I take it to mean amenites is *A lingo for a hotel etc?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:03 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
The actual scenario is LAX-NRT-HKG then 1:10 minutes to catch a flight to
CAN. If it can be booked through UA as a flight LAX to CAN,.... then if the flight HKG -CAN is missed who might pay the $350 per night to stay at the airport hotel?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:38 am
rec

Programs: AA, UA, NH
I recently had a misconnect for a mechanical. I was given a hotel voucher.

I am a 1P.

\rec
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
I got one about 6 months ago, after getting into Chicago via LAX around 6 PM, coming from Singapore. My connecting UX flight in Chicago was delayed several times. I finally went to the RCC and they put me up at the Hilton, and I took a flight out the next morning. I later learned my original UX flight left around 11:30 at night. It was one of those days when every UX flight was delayed, and the terminal was a zoo (standing room only).
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:06 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I've always been offered a hotel room as a 1k / UGS even for weather delays. As a UGS it is usually already booked before I arrive, and an agent meets the flight to hand over the vouchers. This is one of the key advantages of UGS IMO ^
I really could have used that last Sunday night when I got stranded at ORD overnight, A strong incentive to move up the food chain, I guess.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:25 am
Suspended

Without fail I am always given a hotel room, food vouchers and transportaion voucher if so deemed. ^ @:-) :-:
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Hotel Rates

The airlines have specially contracted hotel rates, so they don't pay the hotels exorbitant street prices. For instance at the IAD Hilton the UA contracted rate is about $70. The "street price" is often $150-$250, with say government and corporate contract rates at around $150. Also I know the ORD Hilton especially during the week charges exorbitant rates on the public web site, but don't think UA or any airline is paying that "I'm desperate" rate.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
What's a UGS? Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
United Global Services - this is a 1K who spends a lot more than a mere mortal 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.