Wiki Posts
Search

SWU question - JFK-SFO-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
SWU question - JFK-SFO-HKG

I've got a 645am JFK-SFO and the noon flight SFO-HKG on Wednesday (March 15). I'm waitlisted for the SFO-HKG upgrade as a 1P, using a gifted SWU. It looks pretty good with C9D9, and a whole bunch of empty seats on the seatmap.

Just a quick question - what would you do with the JFK-SFO flight? If it hasn't cleared by the time I get to JFK.... do I ride coach, or take business? Do these SWU's usually clear any earlier?

Thanks for your help - I'm an AA customer switching over, and this is the first big flight/upgrade attempt.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
Originally Posted by rajvar
I've got a 645am JFK-SFO and the noon flight SFO-HKG on Wednesday (March 15). I'm waitlisted for the SFO-HKG upgrade as a 1P, using a gifted SWU. It looks pretty good with C9D9, and a whole bunch of empty seats on the seatmap.

Just a quick question - what would you do with the JFK-SFO flight? If it hasn't cleared by the time I get to JFK.... do I ride coach, or take business? Do these SWU's usually clear any earlier?

Thanks for your help - I'm an AA customer switching over, and this is the first big flight/upgrade attempt.
if there is room, i would expect your upgrade to clear before you take off from jfk- at least they have everytime i have used an swu. if it doesn't, it's crap shoot and so take your chances if you are willing to burn your friend's swu for a cross country flight.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PE, Delta Gold

I suggest that if you have not cleared the SFO-HKG before you depart JFK, save your SWU to try again at the gate in SFO, that way you do not "waste" a SWU for a domestic leg.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have never failed to get my upgrade SFO-HKG. I have been waitlisted many times, but it has always eventually come through - of course I am 1K and that will have some impact. If you keep checking the award inventory for your flight and it continues to show seat availability, up through the time you leave for JFK, you may be alright. I would not burn an swu on the PS flight unless the SFO-HKG had not cleared by the time of checkin at JFK.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I'll try checking the award availability... I'm looking up 'O' fares on ExpertFlyer, but it's not pulling anything up? Am I doing something wrongly or is there just no availability?

How far in advance do these things usually clear if waitlisted? I unfortunately only got on the list a week and a few days ago (~2 weeks before flight)... The rest of the fares show F3 C9 D9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q5 V1 W0 S0 T0 K0 L0 G0 P3 A3 Z9 E0 U0.

Thanks for your quick replies!
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Mile
My wife and I are on that same flight from SFO-HKG on March 15th and our upgrade came through about two weeks ago. The return flight is HKG-NRT-SFO and the upgrade for it has not come through. According to the 1K desk it may not come through until the day of the flight.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:29 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I'll try checking the award availability... I'm looking up 'O' fares on ExpertFlyer, but it's not pulling anything up?
Expertflyer.com doesnt show UA upgrade/award inventory...unfortunately.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'll try checking the award availability... I'm looking up 'O' fares on ExpertFlyer, but it's not pulling anything up? Am I doing something wrongly or is there just no availability?
Unfortunately United doesn't make its award and upgrade inventory available via ExpertFlyer.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Alright... Thanks. So doing a search on united for the award availability shows R0 X2 O0 I0 N2. The I is expected... as I don't have my upgrade. But should the O0 be disconcerting?

As I posted above, it's C9D9... and there seems to be some 38 free seats on the ExpertFlyer seatmap (though I know that's not comprehensive).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.