Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Same-day" standby when on an overnight redeye

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

I have a domestic ticket for travel A-B-C, where A-B is an overnight redeye segment (departing A on day 1, arriving B on day 2).

I'd like to go same-day standby for an earlier A-B flight. If I clear standby (and it appears I will; looks empty), can I also go standby for a B-C flight on day 1, even though my original itin had me going B-C on day 2?

So far, one UA agent has said yes, and another one has said no. Maybe someone here knows for sure? Thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
shouldn't be a problem, so long as you are going to A-C, via B. I did virtually the same thing last year, when I had a A-B-C flight all on the same day, and because I couldn't make my original flight, i had to go standby on an A-B red-eye flight, and took the B-C flight the next day. Since my actual itinerary is A-C, the same day standby rules should apply whether you took the first morning flight, or the last red-eye flight.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Yes, you can do this.

It all depends on the gate agent or CSR at the airport.

But I've done it before.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
I have been able to do exactly this standby using Mr. Easy Chicken, which avoids the possibility of running into a surly checkin or gate agent that says no.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
interesting scenario. UA ticket stock, seg A (red eye) is UAL, seg B is US w/UA flt nbr. Connection thru PHL. Would same day stby work on earlier UA flight connecting, thru say, ORD? I can't imagine why not.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
This could be an interesting way to get a free one night stopover on your ticket, if you get onto the earlier flight on the first segment, and keep you original second segment.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Apologies for digging up this old thread but not sure if this has been answered in some other thread. I tried looking in the confirmed standby thread and a few others but not sure if my question completely fits. However, this thread seems closest:

I booked an early AM flight from LAX with a connecting flight @ IAD later that evening to FLL. Turns out I have an event that got put in the late afternoon; I know that there's a couple of redeye flights to IAD, and they are normally light... so it seems like I can just show up for the redeye flight (and hang out in IAD/Smithsonian for a few hours) and connect to the sole 5:20PM IAD-FLL flight 24 hours later then my originally scheduled flight, correct?

I'm looking at this without using the $50 confirmed standby option. Should I do online checkin in the morning or night before at all if I already am planning on standing by?

Appreciate any feedback/experience!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Apologies for digging up this old thread but not sure if this has been answered in some other thread. I tried looking in the confirmed standby thread and a few others but not sure if my question completely fits. However, this thread seems closest:

I booked an early AM flight from LAX with a connecting flight @ IAD later that evening to FLL. Turns out I have an event that got put in the late afternoon; I know that there's a couple of redeye flights to IAD, and they are normally light... so it seems like I can just show up for the redeye flight (and hang out in IAD/Smithsonian for a few hours) and connect to the sole 5:20PM IAD-FLL flight 24 hours later then my originally scheduled flight, correct?

I'm looking at this without using the $50 confirmed standby option. Should I do online checkin in the morning or night before at all if I already am planning on standing by?
Appreciate any feedback/experience!
If I understand you right, your scenario is different from the one shown above, and will not work. You are booked on an AM LAX-IAD on day 1 and you want to instead standby for the redeye LAX-IAD the night before on day 0, correct? You would not be able to do this because you'd be standing by a day earlier. The example earlier in this post had someone who was on a redeye on day 1 and he wanted to stand by for an earlier flight also on day 1 which is legal.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You are booked on an AM LAX-IAD on day 1 and you want to instead standby for the redeye LAX-IAD the night before on day 0, correct?
The way I read it, he is on an AM flight on day 1 and wants to stand by for the redeye flight that same day (it looks to me like the event of which he speaks is in LA, not in DC). The issue is that his connecting flight, which he wants to move from day 1 to day 2 because of taking the redeye. I'm not sure if this works or not.

One big problem with this is that if you don't clear standby on the last flight of the day, you're stuck paying a walk-up fare the next day. Once midnight ticks by, you can no longer stand by.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The way I read it, he is on an AM flight on day 1 and wants to stand by for the redeye flight that same day (it looks to me like the event of which he speaks is in LA, not in DC). The issue is that his connecting flight, which he wants to move from day 1 to day 2 because of taking the redeye. I'm not sure if this works or not.

One big problem with this is that if you don't clear standby on the last flight of the day, you're stuck paying a walk-up fare the next day. Once midnight ticks by, you can no longer stand by.
Oh yes you are correct. Also not sure if that would work... risky.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
mahasamatman interpreted it correctly. I need to wrap up the midday event before heading out (from LAX).

There are 2 flights after 4PM, 22:20 and 23:25 departure time so it won't kick over past midnight, but there is only one flight @ 17:25 a day from IAD-FLL.

I'm not too greatly concerned about not getting on the flight the same day, there seems to be usually enough leftover seats when I fly these redeyes, plus I'm doing it mid-week.

As mentioned, the biggest concern is that second flight I need to get on (IAD-FLL), due to the overnight situation, it will be a full 24 hours between my original and standby flight (though it is the only flight available).

I'm hoping there are some FT'ers that have done this exact scenario (well, not necessarily the exact itin, but you know what I mean).

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Oh yes you are correct. Also not sure if that would work... risky.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If you standby for the redeye option, I think CS will put you through ORD because IAD does not offer a valid connection (four hours). But I think if you talk to CS, they may break the rule in your favor. Technically speaking, though, you cannot do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.