UAs policy on Segways?

Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: V-Flyer Black
UAs policy on Segways?

So a friend wants to travel with his Segway.

Few questons. Can he bring it onboard as cabin baggage or will they take it as hold baggage like a electric wheelchair?

Has anyone brought segway with them when traveling?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Isn't a Segway WAY too big to bring on board with you?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
Lots of good info here: http://www.segwaychat.com/

I believe you must check them; folks on the segchat board have come up with all kinds of packing containers. I think you may have to separately pack some pieces to get under the 50 lb limit unless you're willing to pay extra.

However, if it's used as a mobility device you may be able to work something out if it's a widebody with a closet.

Note that you can only take the regular nickel batteries onboard - the new lithium batteries cannot travel by air.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:05 am

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
Just saw one about 2 weeks ago. This gentle man walked a little slower than other people, so instead of using wheel chair, he had his own segway. It was treated as a personal wheel chair ( or stroller in other cases ), he had a green " gate check " tag on it and it was brought down by the stairs next to a/c door and brought up to the door again upon arrival. But this is a person who needed a wheel chair, if you are healthy and able, I'd say it's a good idea to check with airlines.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:02 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Hah, haven't heard about those little things that Wired said would "change the way we live" in a while.

If your friend absolutely needs it, it would be gate-checked at best. Otherwise, it'll be treated as fragile/oversized luggage.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: V-Flyer Black
Well if I understood correctly, it was handled like a wheelchair. My friend does not use it as an assistive device, but as a form of transport in a major US city with hills. They are fun, as I lent forward an maxed out 12 or so MPH. I want one. Thanks for you help and input.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by PimpNumOne
Well if I understood correctly, it was handled like a wheelchair. My friend does not use it as an assistive device, but as a form of transport in a major US city with hills. They are fun, as I lent forward an maxed out 12 or so MPH. I want one. Thanks for you help and input.
They always catch my eye too. Are there opportunities to test drive them? How many $s do they run new? What about used?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by itsme
They always catch my eye too. Are there opportunities to test drive them? How many $s do they run new? What about used?
I've seen tour groups going round downtown Chicago. Also seem them in at least one other city (although can't remember which one).
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:33 pm

http://www.segwayguidedtours.com/
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:20 am

Programs: All the regulars for an American. Retired now so peon on all of them
A lot of people think they look interesting and cool, but they have a really high green geek factor. That surely limits sales.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: 1K scum
One of the best activities at Disney World is the Segway tour of Epcot. This is a 2 hour session that starts before the park opens and includes one hour of tuition (you will need it if you have not Segwayed before or recently) and one hour touring Epcot. It is a blast. The world showcase at Epcot is a very diverse terrain for the Segway. These devices have very limited practical application but they are great fun for a few hours. The last time I did this it cost around $60 after the AP discount.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by hbyerly
..the new lithium batteries cannot travel by air.
Do you have some background on this? I mean all my mobile phone and laptop
batteries are lithium based. So is my camera and my iPod.

UA once gave me a hard time checking my electric scooter with a lead acid
battery. Which I understand - but they gave in when I could show that the
battery was sealed and had no overpressure valves.

Do you know the reasoning behind barring the lithium cell from air travel?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
The L-ion battery issue is to do with the quantity of it contained in a battery of segway size. mobile phones, etc - have TINY amounts in comparison.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by weero
Do you have some background on this?... Do you know the reasoning behind barring the lithium cell from air travel?
Here's the original advisory: http://www.dot.gov/affairs/rspa2100.htm. Actual letter is here: http://hazmat.dot.gov/regs/ntsb/av/1.tif
Apparently there was a fire at LAX in 1999 that led to the initial advisory.

I can't find the rule itself, but here is a subsequent modification with more information on the original ruling: http://hazmat.dot.gov/regs/notices/nprm/2002_11989.htm

Under the HMR, 49 CFR parts 171-180, most lithium batteries and
equipment containing or packed with lithium batteries are regulated as
Class 9 materials.
In the list of things exempted from the regulation is "(3) Solid cathode cells containing no more than 1 gram of lithium or lithium alloy per cell", so that's why cell phones are ok, but the new Segway batteries are not.

Most Segways come with the nickel-based battery, so it's probably not an issue for your friend. The new lithium batteries give you twice the "glide time", but run about $500 extra.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
It's such an ignorant ruling because the batteries that burned were primary Li batteries, IIRC. There is no free Li metal in a Li-ion battery. If it is uncharged then it's 100% safe. The bureaucrats of course don't know the difference between Li-ion secondary Li primary.

The ruling is actually an issue for the latest laptops as it is hindering higher capacity batteries because they are not "legal" on flights. Li battery conferences always feature some presentations and papers on Li battery air transport.

Also, the Valence batteries that they use on the Segway are extremely safe versus overcharge or other abuse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.