Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

You better swap seats or have nanny with screaming lap child in middle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You better swap seats or have nanny with screaming lap child in middle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Diaper changing in cabin - Gross, should not be done, parent(s) will get major complaint by me asking whether it would be alright if I changed *MY* menstrual pad in the cabin.

Breastfeeding - I don't necessarily think it's gross, but I prefer my aunt's method of have pumped milk in a bottle ready just in case.

Picking nose - as long as they wipe it in a paper towel and don't ever come in contact with me, I don't care.

But you know what I think is nasty? Nail clipping. People do this all the time on planes, especially long-haul, BUT WHERE DOES THE CLIPPINGS GO??? I have seen one fly across the cabin before! Or it's on the floor in ths aisle...NASTY!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
But you know what I think is nasty? Nail clipping. People do this all the time on planes, especially long-haul, BUT WHERE DOES THE CLIPPINGS GO??? I have seen one fly across the cabin before! Or it's on the floor in ths aisle...NASTY!
Come on down, BJ!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by qasr
Come on down, BJ!
Nasty. No way.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Nasty. No way.
I thought you had a foot thing?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:34 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Diaper changing in cabin - Gross, should not be done, parent(s) will get major complaint by me asking whether it would be alright if I changed *MY* menstrual pad in the cabin.

Breastfeeding - I don't necessarily think it's gross, but I prefer my aunt's method of have pumped milk in a bottle ready just in case.

Picking nose - as long as they wipe it in a paper towel and don't ever come in contact with me, I don't care.

Breastfeeding is not the same as bottle feeding. Breast is better. If you don't like it, too bad, no one asked you for your permission!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Originally Posted by andyZRH
So, shouldn't a responsible parent fly as little as possible with the kids, if flying on an aircraft subjects them to such pain?
And shouldn't people who dislike children fly as little as possible so as to minimize the chances they will have to listen to crying?

And the beat goes on... yawn.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by JS
Breastfeeding is not the same as bottle feeding. Breast is better. If you don't like it, too bad, no one asked you for your permission!
Agreed! And some infants (including mine years ago) will not go back and forth between breast and bottle.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I think expectation plays a key role in here.
When one buys a plane ticket, one of course does not expect royal treatment, but one does expect that the flight is as smooth as possible and as with little disturbance as possible. For many, flying is not a pleasant experience. Being stuck in a closed narrow space is not a walk in the park. Everyone is in a foul mood after going through the security check, and the not-so-helpful and scarcely scattered agents in the airport and the last thing one expects to see/hear/smell are dirty diapers/infant scream/dirty diapers.

I believe most of the people who voiced their concerns don't *just* dislike children. If the kid and parents just mind their own businesses and provide no disturbance to other pax, no one will point any finger. I have taken flights with parents who made sure that their kids are in their best behavior (kudos to them) and I have also taken flights with parents who just let the kids have their way and give all the other pax the I-am-allowed-because-I-am-traveling-with-infants look. That makes me wonder why some parents can hold responsibility for their kids' behavior and why some cannot?

In my opinion, if parents cannot control or contain the foul behavior of their kids, it is perfectly resonable to ask them to not travel with the kid.

Originally Posted by ozweepay
And shouldn't people who dislike children fly as little as possible so as to minimize the chances they will have to listen to crying?

And the beat goes on... yawn.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:25 pm

I don't think it is a permission issue...

Gate lices do not ask for our permission to pretend that they are elites and board regardless of their status.
So do seat poachers,
So do people who put their feet on the armrest belonging to another pax.

Throughout the discussion here, we argue to decide what kind behavior is socially acceptable and what is not. And we watch the behavior of our companions and ourselves to make sure that we cause a little disturbance to other pax as possible.

It is an etiqutte issue...

Originally Posted by JS
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:37 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by b33g
I don't think it is a permission issue...

Gate lices do not ask for our permission to pretend that they are elites and board regardless of their status.
So do seat poachers,
So do people who put their feet on the armrest belonging to another pax.

Throughout the discussion here, we argue to decide what kind behavior is socially acceptable and what is not. And we watch the behavior of our companions and ourselves to make sure that we cause a little disturbance to other pax as possible.

It is an etiqutte issue...
You don't seem to understand what breastfeeding is for. Gate lice and seat poachers won't die if they don't get their way. Breastfeeding, on the other hand, is how the baby survives until he/she can eat solid foods.

Why am I having to explain 8th grade basic human biology to a group of (I assumed) adults?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:14 pm

Would the baby die if you bottle feed?
Originally Posted by JS
You don't seem to understand what breastfeeding is for. Gate lice and seat poachers won't die if they don't get their way. Breastfeeding, on the other hand, is how the baby survives until he/she can eat solid foods.

Why am I having to explain 8th grade basic human biology to a group of (I assumed) adults?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:14 pm

If you prefer, you may explain 9th grade biology, which, in my opinion, is much more interesting.
And please, no name calling, we are all adults here (I assumed )

Originally Posted by JS
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JS

JS, I actually agree with you on this one. I don't see any problem with breastfeeding in public (or on an aircraft), particularly if it is done discretely. It's good for the baby, the baby is happier and, of course, so are the other passengers.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am getting the strong feeling this thread might be heading on a one way non refundable United ticket to OMNI land if if drifts off tangent too much more .....
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Not sure how we got on to nail clipping, nose picking, breast feeding and other best done privately activities. Here was my original post in case anyone wants to add something relevant.

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
OK...first, this isn't an anti-children in F or C thread, but here is my story from LAX-SYD . Just wondering what I else I could have done.

I was seated in bluckhead 25C and there was another business traveller seated on the other aise 25F in the center section of the 747.

Last to board there are these 2 adults and 2 young children and stop at the 25A/B seats across the aisle from me. They had a short discussion with a gate supervisor who told them that these were the only seats available, and it was up to others if they wanted to move.

I cant remember the exact words but the father said something along the lines of "you better swap seats otherwise you'll have nanny and a sceaming kid in the middle - you don't have to, but I'm telling you that nanny has the middle seat".

We swapped seats without a hint of a thank you. I checked with the purser for other seats, but both F and C were full. Unfortunetely, the description of his kid was accurate and lead to a miserable flight even though I moved. There were other young children in C who were perfrectly behaved.

I don't think that the behavior of pax is United's fault, but why would they give a middle C seat between two business travellers for a nanny and 18month old. If there had been an aisle seat in Y, I'd have moved and asked for my SWU back.

Edited to add: Is it appropriate to change a diaper on a reclined C seat?
Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
Glad to hear that it wasn't just me being unreasonable. Some feedback to the posts so far.

1) The diaper changes were done on the seat without a liner. Luckily no obnoxious smells reached my seat, but I wasn't looking too closely at what was going on.

2) The two kids were toddler age. I assume one was under 2 as he was a lapchild. Neither had a clue about being well behaved and just screamed if they didn't like what they were being told / wriggled to get away.

3) The $100 comment may well have worked. I would never have considered this option before, and in most cases it would be completely inappropriate. In this case however......

4) Glaring at the father or nanny had absolutely no effect. Loud comments from other pax about how well behaved another little girl was had no effect. Of course no-one dared say anything directly to them. I did consider asking for a round of applause for the well behaved girl in 26A as we were taxiing to the gate, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

5) The father was a 1K and the older toddler was a 1P, so he obviously knew beforehand what the flight was going to be like. I don't know for sure, but strongly suspect that they upgraded at the gate as
a) they boarded very late
b) 25C was only reserved by me 48hrs before the flight
c) 25D was empty 6 hrs before the flight
If so, why in the world would he upgrade everyone? I still can't believe that anyone would have such a total disregard for the people around them, and appear oblivious to the problems they were causing.

6) I would have had no problem moving if asked in the right way, other than being given an ultimatum. "Move or the next 14hrs will be hell" was the implication. I did move, AND the next 14hrs were still hell.

There's nowt so queer as folks!

Edited to add....
If I'd thought about it before departure, I would have asked for a seat on the flight leaving 2hrs later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.