Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meal no longer need to call ahead?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Special Meal no longer need to call ahead?

I became an vegetarian around middle of last year. I changed my profile on united.com and thought my special meal will just show up next time I fly. Shortly I found out I was wrong. At check-in counter the first flight afterwards, I checked with the agent about the special meal, she said I need to call one day ahead to request special meal, otherwise no special meal. Ok, I learned and figure I need to stock up some snacks for the flight. It did not turned out too bad that I can recall so I never really bother to call ahead for special meals for the flights after that and accept the hit and miss meal services. Although feel bad some times good food got wasted because I don't eat them.

Just completed my first flight for year 2006 (SFO <---> CDG via LHR). I was surprised when the FA brought me a special meal on the flight to LHR. There is a card attatched has my name, flight information, and hand writter seat number indicating "AVML" (Asia Vegetairan Meal?) on it. I would have thought there must be a mistake if I didn't see my name on it.

Prior landing at London when breakfast was served, FA handed me the regular meal from the serving cart with the rest of passengers. I was thinking and confirmed there must be a glitch somewhere for the previous special meal to come and this is really what I should have. So I start to eat what I can eat. Few minutes later, another FA came and gave me a special meal. I ended up with two meals as I already touched the regular one. I started to believe this is not accident, united really reads my profile for my food choices. Wow!

Same thing on the way back. I got a very delicious Indian vegetarian meal, best food I had in Y.

This is my good experience of first flight of year 2006. ^
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
WendySFO, welcome to Flyertalk

I would always call to confirm a special meal to ensure you get it. I've only special ordered the Obento box on flights to/from Japan.

As to labeling of meals, I'm not sure about UA, but at least on SQ it's usually on the cover. The labeling is pretty intricate from what I've seen. Then again the process of getting any of the meals from the kitchens from raw products to the finished product is pretty tricky process. I'm sure some others will agree
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Just completed my first flight for year 2006 (SFO <---> CDG via LHR). I was surprised when the FA brought me a special meal on the flight to LHR. There is a card attatched has my name, flight information, and hand writter seat number indicating "AVML" (Asia Vegetairan Meal?) on it. I would have thought there must be a mistake if I didn't see my name on it.
Yes this is how it's done. It reassures that they've gotten you the right meal. It's a yellow card, and the yellow card label will match the sticker on the tinfoil covering the hot entree part of the meal (sometimes the lettering is written in marker on the tinfoil, instead of on an extra sticker)

Same thing on the way back. I got a very delicious Indian vegetarian meal, best food I had in Y.

And yet another fan of the IVML special meal. ^

I always call ahead just to make sure mine is loaded and ready for me.

I'd recommend doing this even if it's on your profile, as you don't want a mistake on a 10-15hr flight. Also you can select different flavor of special meal for each flight. For instance i typically ask for the fruit plate on breakfast flight, and Indian vegetarian on the others.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Feb 6, 2006 at 10:14 pm
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:17 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
It good to inform the crew when you've changed seats in Y after boarding since the manifest will have your original seat number and if the new pax in your seat doesn't speak up that the meal isn't for them you'll end up with the regular meal.
Also if you choose to standby for an earlier flight or are rebooked do to misconnects your special meal will not make the flt.

And yes you should call ahead.

Last edited by Aluminum tubing; Feb 7, 2006 at 12:21 am
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:48 am

profile for special meal works first flight 2006, self check in-kiosk had message too

Just completed my first flight for year 2006 (SFO <---> CDG via LHR). I was surprised when the FA brought me a special meal on the flight to LHR.

I had the same experience my first flight in 2006. My special meal profile never works for me in 2004-2005.

I even forgot that I had that special meal profile, but was reminded when I use the check in kiosk that the special meal had been arranged.

Probably because I booked the flight about 2 weeks ago this time, and my previous flights were always in a rush usually less than 7 days.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:51 am

Programs: UA MM / Plat
What happens with special meals in C/F?

I've always upgraded with 500's domestically, and since as 1P I all to often end up sweating it out at the gate, it's just luck of the draw whether there's something vegetarian for me on board. Usually not.

I've got an upcoming PS flight that I confirmed in C with miles. What should I expect? A vegetarian meal from Y?

BTW, ditto on the Indian Vegetarian/AVML. It's by far the best food I've eaten in Y. As an aside, I've always been curious about the difference between what UA calls the Asian (AVML) and Indian Vegetarian meals. I noticed that Indian/Hindu vegetarian is no longer on the meal preference list online, but the Asian Veg. meal is usually something S. Asian.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:53 am

Programs: UA MM / Plat
Originally Posted by berkeleyguy3

I've always upgraded with 500's domestically, and since as 1P I all to often end up sweating it out at the gate, it's just luck of the draw whether there's something vegetarian for me on board. Usually not.

I've got an upcoming PS flight that I confirmed in C with miles. What should I expect? A vegetarian meal from Y?

BTW, ditto on the Indian Vegetarian/AVML. It's by far the best food I've eaten in Y. As an aside, I've always been curious about the difference between what UA calls the Asian (AVML) and Indian Vegetarian meals. I noticed that Indian/Hindu vegetarian is no longer on the meal preference list online, but the Asian Veg. meal is usually something S. Asian.
Wanted to add that my experiences have been hit/miss with the profiles online and not calling. Never hurts to call anyway. Going hungry on a 14 hour flight is no fun.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:04 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by berkeleyguy3

If you've requested a veg meal for C or F, you'll get a veg meal that is different from what is served in Y.

I'm a vegetarian, but I seldom request veg meals (besides generally not liking what they offer, they can cause you to not get the upgrade at the gate). In C/F, the FAs have always been willing to make me a plate of just side dishes - potatoes, the veggie and the salad - or bring me a coach meal if they're serving something veg there. They seem to be quite happy to do this as it frees up an entree.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:06 am

I became an vegetarian around middle of last year. I changed my profile on united.com and thought my special meal will just show up next time I fly. Shortly I found out I was wrong. At check-in counter the first flight afterwards, I checked with the agent about the special meal, she said I need to call one day ahead to request special meal, otherwise no special meal.
Was this ticket booked before you changed your profile? If it was that could explain why there wasn't a veg meal on board for you.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by letiole
Was this ticket booked before you changed your profile? If it was that could explain why there wasn't a veg meal on board for you.
I flew at least two more international flights after I changed my profile. No veg meal.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:29 am

I flew at least two more international flights after I changed my profile. No veg meal.
But when did you book them? If you booked them under your old profile, that's what will be there even if you change your profile before the flight. When you book under your new profile, you should get the veg meal without needing to make a phone call. Of course, it never hurts to make the phone call, but I would suspect they'll most always tell you on any newly booked tickets that the request is already there.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 7, 2006 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, Starwood
Best vegan cookie I ever ate...

When United still served food on domestic flights. I ordered the vegetarian meal and got a vegan meal. Not a problem, then I looked at the cookie in the package. (it looked like it was chocolate chip)

Vegan. In clear letters on the front of the package:
No Wheat, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Refined Sugar.

Last time I looked at a cookie recipe. The first four ingredients were:
Flour, Butter, Eggs, Sugar.

Was expecting it to be terrible, was actually quite good, anyone know who supplied such a delicacy to them?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:55 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
If you've requested a veg meal for C or F, you'll get a veg meal that is different from what is served in Y.
This has not been my (or, I should say mrs. snic's, since she is the vegetarian) experience. Whenever we've been upgraded to PS C from Y, she ends up eating the indian veg meal she requested when we had Y seats. The food is on nicer plates, but it's the same food. Of course she also gets all the salads and desserts and whatnot that everyone else gets, and, as others have noted, the Indian veg meals are among the best Y food around. However, quite often (but not always) there is a vegetarian option in C - but mrs. snic has never gotten it because her request for IVML apparently moves to C with her. The FAs won't give her the regular veg option unless they have one left over. Next time, if we have a confirmed upgrade, we'll try cancelling the meal request in advance, and hope the FA's will assemble something for her if no regular veg meal is on the menu.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:18 am
Original Poster

But when did you book them? If you booked them under your old profile, that's what will be there even if you change your profile before the flight. When you book under your new profile, you should get the veg meal without needing to make a phone call. Of course, it never hurts to make the phone call, but I would suspect they'll most always tell you on any newly booked tickets that the request is already there.
Don't remember the timing when I booked my flights. But for sure my flight to BKK in November 2005 was booked way after the profile change. I got regular meal on that trip.

Now that I like the veg meal very much, I'll make sure to call ahead to request one.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:34 am

Programs: UA/AA
Vegetarian meal in domestic F

Can anyone tell me what is served as the vegetarian meal on a domestic first class flight? I would like to try one but am interested to have a clue about what it might be. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.