Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Shared drink counter on 747 in C (pilot\copilot?)

Shared drink counter on 747 in C (pilot\copilot?)

Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Wow, a surprising amount of misinformation in this thread, from people who should know better.

747 C Lower Deck goes:

AB CDF GH
D&F share the center console, which includes the drink space, along with PTVs.

777 C goes:

AB DEF HJ
E&F share the center console.

As noted in previous threads, for solo travelers, this normally means you'll want to choose the left side of the center aisle, while couples might want to pick the center and right side.

On the other hand, it has also been noted that since the two right side seats share PTV space, this often creates a greater "barrier" than the space between C&D (or D&E on the 777). This, along with the general tendency to go to the left (disembarkation) side of the aircraft, means that a solo middle-seat traveler will often disrupt the right-side sitter less often, when getting out to go to the lav, etc.

My personal strategy is to usually pick the left side, so I'm not clinking glasses with a stranger, or sharing my space with their ipod or, um, their nuts.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
On a 744? I'll bet you a SWU that you are wrong. Center seats are C,D,F
Okay, okay. I am the smart a$$ it looks like. I was thinking the 777 as opposed to the 747. But I will, unlike a lot of people here, admit I am wrong and eat humble pie. As long as it is served with some fresh cold milk.

As far as the SWU, you had a chance last month to get a couple of them.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
\As long as it is served with some fresh cold milk.
And pillows... of course.

Timothy
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I will, unlike a lot of people here, admit I am wrong and eat humble pie.
You sir, may eat my crusty shorts.

Which I might add...inflate nicely to produce comfy pillow-like cushions.

As for the milk...well...you're on your own, buddy.

Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:17 am

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by PremEx

Why does that bring this scene to mind?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:03 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
My personal strategy is to usually pick the left side, so I'm not clinking glasses with a stranger, or sharing my space with their ipod or, um, their nuts.
On the other hand, if you take the F seat and the center remains empty, you can have the small luxury of two PTVs. Great for watching a movie and still having Airshow running full-time.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:17 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
According to this photo

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0911340/L/

The shared drink tray is on the co-pilot (right side).
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:13 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PremEx

As for the milk...well...you're on your own, buddy.

For some reason I just lost my appetite.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For some reason I just lost my appetite.
My work is done here.

Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
This raises another question.
Which side is the copilots side?
On flights over eight hours, the "copilot" will often times sit in the "pilots" seat and a junior first officer (a.k.a. relief pilot) will sit in the "copilot" seat while the "pilot" rests.

Not quite...

the "relief pilot" is just the same as the "flying" First Officer in terms of qualifications. He/she might be the "relief pilot" (we call them bunkies) due to schedule preferences and can be senior to the "flying" FO.

Since we all have a type rating (an advanced rating on our FAA license), on that specific plane, either FO is qualified to sit in the left seat (Captain's seat). So if the bunkie comes off break and the Captain is next to go, then the bunkie would take the left seat. No need to do a double switch.

Not all airlines have the same system. Some "relief pilots" are not qualified to even do a landing or takeoff!!!!

So to answer the question the copilots ( i hate that term.... ) side depends on which way you are facing.....

foward is on the right.
aft is on the left.

DC
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by UALPilotDC
Since we all have a type rating (an advanced rating on our FAA license), on that specific plane, either FO is qualified to sit in the left seat (Captain's seat). So if the bunkie comes off break and the Captain is next to go, then the bunkie would take the left seat. No need to do a double switch.
Which brings up one other question, relevant only to Airbii, about which hand you're doing the flying with. Can pilots honestly say that they're not at a disadvantage when they're grabbing the yoke with their non-dominant hand?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Kurt
On the other hand, if you take the F seat and the center remains empty, you can have the small luxury of two PTVs. Great for watching a movie and still having Airshow running full-time.
Good point! ^ I've done this before when I've had a window and the adjacent aisle seat is empty. It's nice to not have to keep flipping back to airshow to see where we are.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
Originally Posted by crankyusi
Been too long since I've been on a plane. In C class on the 747, in the middle 3 seats, is the drink counter that's shared by 2 passengers on the pilot side, or the copilot side? Trying to keep the spilled drinks in the family.
Thanks if you could comment.
Instead of pilots/copilots side, why not keep it simple and use port and starboard side?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by SealBeach
Which brings up one other question, relevant only to Airbii, about which hand you're doing the flying with. Can pilots honestly say that they're not at a disadvantage when they're grabbing the yoke with their non-dominant hand?

Practice, practice, practice........(and its a Boeing issue too.....very very very rare to see two hands on the yoke, one is supposed to be on the throttles as well)

DC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.