Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copilot jumps out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
I would have been really impressed if the FO would've jumped off into a waiting ground vehicle (or horse) to make the whole event transpire quicker.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Dunbar
True but this ignores the airline foodchain, the captain is much higher up than the FA. Much like the "open door policy" many bosses purport to have, but nobody feels comfortable taking them up on, the FA is not going to tell the pilots to stop in this scenario. It would be like complaining about your boss to his/her boss. Not a smart thing to do if one plans to stick around for a while...
Actually, UA was the model for many other airlines when it came to CLT/CLR communication from the cabin crew to the flight crew. I have sat in on numerous sessions where pilots and flight attendants teach each other about the hazards of failing to notify the cap'n of things (like ice building up on wings or flaps in wrong position for takeoff.) Both of the examples are given citing specific info where planes have crashed due to either failure to notify the PIC or failure to act on information from the cabin staff.

The open door policy analogy is not something that gets given lip service in a safety sensative position, or at least not at UA. (ask the FA or FO next time you fly about their class.)
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by bigricky4
If only they could cross train the EZ Checkin's to drive the jetbridge.
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Don't give anyone any ideas.
Too late! Ted is already getting this this "feature". See the thread on automatic dual jet bridges. RAR.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:06 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
You obviously have very little notion of now airline crew are trained to interact and what their responsibilities are. Speaking generally (without knowing all the details about exactly what happened here), F/As have every right -- and in fact an obligation -- to speak up to the pilots if they feel safety procedures are being violated or if they are otherwise uncomfortable about decisions that are being made. This crew resource management principle is an integral part of UA's training for both pilots and F/As.

This is not to say that the F/As are always right, and it doesn't change the principle that the Captain is the ultimate decision-maker. But "slapping" F/As into silence is a very outdated concept, and encouraging a culture where they are comfortable speaking up leads to a safer environment overall.
What safety procedures were violated?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by redburgundy
If you're six feet tall, and your arms are two feet long, that's a one foot drop.
If the copilot was Roger Murdock, that drop wouldn't have been too much of a problem.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: NON ELITE
Originally Posted by ian_btv
....Imagine if you faced this day after day as a crew member, with pax grumbling at you (as if it was your fault) that it has been 10+ minutes and no one has either shown-up at the jet bridge ... or perhaps even appeared to marshal you into the gate!

Yeah, I might be tempted too to go to such extreme measures if I faced UA's inefficient ground crews like that ...
I have encountered many many times where the plane was just sitting there for more than 10 minutes, waiting for someone to operate jet bridge. Most pilots/ copilots don't seem to care. Perhaps that copilot in OP was in a hurry himself.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps that copilot in OP was in a hurry himself.
See Post #17.

Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Good Point

Originally Posted by JS
I agree with JS. I don't believe that we have yet heard what saftey procedure/s was/were violated. Certainly we know that only one pilot need be present on a fully loaded plane (while parked at the gate) since they do their ground safety check and leave the planes for other things as a matter of routine. I have even been on board and had a whole flightdeck crew board after most pax due to their own late arrival. The door also appears to have been unarmed before it was opened since the slide did not "explode". Although perhaps not unarmed by the supervising FA, surely, a FO has the right to disarm a door?

The only thing I can think of is some sort of worker's compensation issue as the FO would be more likely to injure himself during this dismount than using the standard jetbridge retreat!

Where are our resident FAA safety experts? Isn't that UAL 995's (I may have the handle a little mixed up) specialty?

Lurker
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:05 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
The co-pilot was unprofessional as all hell, but it must have been quite funny to have witnessed that.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:51 pm
glg

Originally Posted by ozweepay
Don't many of the UX carriers operate aircraft with built-in steps? Like maybe the EMB-120's?

I know I've seen stairs upside-down near the front of some small UX planes during flight.
I'm pretty sure the CR-700 does too.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JS
You completely missed the point of my post. I clearly said I was not referring to the specific situation here, but I was commenting generally on your feeling that F/As should be seen and not heard. My point was not that a specific safety procedure was or was not violated in this instance, but rather that F/As certainly should speak up to say, "Ummm, I don't think that is a very good idea," when they feel it is appropriate to do so.

As to safety procedures here, I can't tell if you are serious or not about wondering if procedures were not violated. Assuming you are being serious, without having a complete list of all UA safety procedures in front of me to cite by page and rule number (and I have no doubt that is the only thing that will satisfy you ), general safety procedures are (and common sense would dictate) that normal egress and ingress should be accomplished through a jetway or airstairs connected to the plane, and one should only jump from the door if there is an emergency. I doubt a 10-minute wait would count as an "emergency."

Or are you suggesting that if the F/As just started saying, "OK, we're tired of waiting for the jetway; everyone will have to jump off!" that would be accepted by everyone on the plane (and their lawyers in the ensuing lawsuit should someone get hurt) as no violation of procedure?

Last edited by Bear96; Feb 1, 2006 at 4:07 pm
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:37 pm
Fly

Good thing you posted this thread.

Now United will be able to figure out which pilot did it and he'll be fired. There is NO WAY they are going to let this one go. He violated just about every FAR and United rule all in one stupid move. Unbelievable. One more furloughed pilot should be called by weeks end.

Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:52 pm
Fly

Armed with the information of the flight # and the name, it took me less than 1 minute to see the names of all the crew involved. This is very sad but this man took his job into his own hands when he chose to do that. Shame

Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fly
Good thing you posted this thread.

Now United will be able to figure out which pilot did it and he'll be fired. There is NO WAY they are going to let this one go. He violated just about every FAR and United rule all in one stupid move. Unbelievable. One more furloughed pilot should be called by weeks end.
I've got to agree. It's not that I think that the F/O did anything wrong, per se, but it just seems...foolish. Frankly, I don't want foolish people flying me from point A to point B (or trying to taxi around ORD, for that matter).
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Skiff
I've got to agree. It's not that I think that the F/O did anything wrong, per se, but it just seems...foolish. Frankly, I don't want foolish people flying me from point A to point B (or trying to taxi around ORD, for that matter).
But we all do foolish things at some time in our lives. "One foolish act, does not a fool make"

What I do think sad is that the F/O may loose his job because of a forum posting. (I know - take responsibility for your actions, but he was only putting himself at risk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.