Wiki Posts
Search

standby only for First?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
standby only for First?

With a Coach ticket and a confirmed upgrade on a later flight, is it possible to standby for an earlier flight but only for First (assuming two cabins)?

That is, one might like to go earlier if one can get upgraded, but otherwise, one might prefer to stick with one's original, later flight with the confirmed upgrade.

Does UA's computer system have a way to handle such a request?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Get on the standby list and when called, inform the GA that you only want to go if you can upgrade. If she can't gaurantee an upgrade then hold your original BP.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:45 pm

I would advise the GA that you only want to be cleared from the DM list if it is in F, people do this all the time.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Howard
With a Coach ticket and a confirmed upgrade on a later flight, is it possible to standby for an earlier flight but only for First (assuming two cabins)?

That is, one might like to go earlier if one can get upgraded, but otherwise, one might prefer to stick with one's original, later flight with the confirmed upgrade.

Does UA's computer system have a way to handle such a request?
If you use Easy Checkin that it how it will work. You'll standby for F only. Actually, standing by for Y when you're in F is a bit of work for the CSR as they have to unload you out of F and put you back into Y.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have been told by GAs that you have to clear into coach before you can be put on the upgrade list for first.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I would advise the GA that you only want to be cleared from the DM list if it is in F, people do this all the time.
I've done this several times. When the GAs arrive at the gate, just let them know you're already confirmed in F on an earlier flight but would like to depart on this one but only if you can clear into F. I've been fortunate enough that they've usually immediately cleared me into Y and then into F (or C) at the moment. It helps to know what the loads & WL look like ahead of time, another instance the RCC staff can be helpful.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:50 pm

Programs: UAL1K,US Chairman's,wood plat,Marriott plat
I was once schedule for 10am flight to SFO, got there abit earlier went to GA at the gate that dep at 9am, coach was oversold but 1 F seat was available so she gave it to me (Paid W fare).

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have been told by GAs that you have to clear into coach before you can be put on the upgrade list for first.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My experience too.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Having run into this specific issue multiple times at SFO, ORD, and SEA, I've had the chance to discuss with numerous GAs regarding the procedure for NF standby only. The consensus SOP is that you are essentially put on the regular economy standby DM list but they note the DM that you want NF only. The DM card you receive will just show "United Economy" as the class waitlisted. After all passengers are cleared off the UGDG list (people waiting for upgrade who are already confirmed on the flight in economy), then passengers waitlisting BP5B seeking NF only are accommodated. This means that a non-status pax confirmed in economy on the UDGD list is going to have priority over a non-confirmed 1K on the BP5B standyby seeking NF only. This is how it "should" be done according to the rules.

However, I've definitely have had some "friendly" agents confirm me in coach prior to 20 minutes before departure so I can be on the UGDG list like all other confirmed pax waiting for upgrade. In this case, status trumps the 1P that's been waiting for the upgrade all along.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by loyalStarwoodfan
The consensus SOP is that you are essentially put on the regular economy standby DM list but they note the DM that you want NF only.
This has been my experience too, however, I have found some GAs that just CANNOT get the concept that I am explaining to them and will just put me on the DM list for Y on the earlier flight. Be VERY carful of this, because if they clear you into Y on the earlier flight you will lose your F seat on the later flight and they may not be able to put you back on (this is all in the scenario of high loads, things can be markedly different with very light loads as previous posters have noted). My point is that if you get the sense that your point was in anyway unclear to the GA make sure that you are right by the podium when they are clearing the DM list and make sure you explain yourself again before they print out a bp for Y on the earlier flight.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UA840
...Be VERY carful of this, because if they clear you into Y on the earlier flight you will lose your F seat on the later flight...
Exactly. I have had more than one GA explain to me that I would have to accept whatever Y seat was offered and only then could be eligible for upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I do this all the time - in fact, yesterday in SFO was the last time.

What everyone else said is true. You technically need to be confirmed in Y and then go on the upgrade list. But this is where agents differ in their procedure:

1) Some will confirm the upgrades ALREADY on the list before confirming you in Y and then putting you on the upgrade list.

2) Others will confirm the standby pax in Y and then put people on the upgrade list and then start to process the upgrades.

The higher your status is, the more you want them to follow #2; the lower, you want #1.

Whatever the case may be, just make sure that the agent is fully aware that it is F or nothing. Usually a note ("F ONLY") in the comment section of the DM list will suffice.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:27 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
You are asking for a service beyond what UA allows per training. WHile yes, if a single CSR is working a trip, or multiple that are able to take time to communicate with each other and remember during the chaos that occurs at the final part of a departure, then some will accomodate. What people have said is 100% correct. Unless you have a XF or F ticket (not NF booking) you standby ONLY for the TICKETED cabin, which is usually Y, and then get on the upgrade list after all confirmed passengers have cleared. That is the policy.

To ask an agent to modify the procedure for you may be done, but to insult those who will not "go the extra mile" to remember to divert from training is uncalled for. If they accept your request, and forget that they are to break with policy, or remember exceptions, and you get mad at them for failing, then all you do is have them get punished (by your anger) for their attempt to accomodate you. Standard behavior modification states that an event followed by an uncofortable respose will reduce the likelyhood that the CSR will make exception in the future.

Request all you want, but if you lose your F seat, then realize that it was you who asked for the deviation from policy, and that any mistakes/oversights made by the CSR are partially your fault.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
If one is in confirmed F for a transcon (say IAD-OAK) and want to standby for (IAD-DEN-OAK). Do you have to standby for each leg and hope to get into F? I would assume that is the case? Can the first CSR put you in standby for the second leg before you get there?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
My experience with this scenario has varied based on where I made the request, how busy the agents were, and frankly what kind of mood they have been in.

I would say that most of the time the agent tells me whether I have a chance of an F (or C) seat at all, and then gives me my options. At that point, agents in the RCC have been more likely to try to confirm me in the F (or C) seat (another reason to join the RCC). GAs vary more, but most have been helpful in trying to confirm me in the class of service in which I choose to fly. Some have told me that they can get me a good E+ or exit row seat and that is the best they can do, while others tell me to stand off to the side and twiddle my thumbs out of their eyesight while they use their ultimate power to decide whether I can have one of the F seats that they could simply confirm me in.

Then the choice has been up to me; I usually wait for the confirmed F seat if it is a long flight. I have, however, taken an earlier Ted flight in E- to avoid a 3 hour layover in LAX for instance (no F there, but E+ woulda been better then the next-to-last row in E- middle seat, but I wanted to get to Vegas)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.