Wiki Posts
Search

Online Easy Check-in with luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Online Easy Check-in with luggage

What is the procedure for checking in luggage after you've checked in online. I am flying out of ORD tomorrow, and didn't realize when I check'd-in online this afternoon that I would have so much luggage. Do I need to get in the check-in line, basically mitigating the purpose of checking in online?

thx
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by gate_pourri
What is the procedure for checking in luggage after you've checked in online. I am flying out of ORD tomorrow, and didn't realize when I check'd-in online this afternoon that I would have so much luggage. Do I need to get in the check-in line, basically mitigating the purpose of checking in online?

thx
Just check your bags at the curb.....they still have this service at ORD right?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by peter11
Just check your bags at the curb.....they still have this service at ORD right?
Just so you're aware, there is a $2 or $3 charge per bag for checking bags with the skycap, and that's not including tip. In threads that have discussed this, some people have said that they don't tip now because of the flat charge.
Personally, I've only used the skycap a few times. I use it if I'm running late and the line is long or if I have a lot of bags. If I just have one bag, I just drag the bags in.

The procedure for checking in after you've checked in online is basically the same as what you'd do if you hadn't checked it. You go up to Mr. Chicken and scan your card and check your bags in. The only difference is that you already have a boarding pass when you check in online (assuming you printing the boarding pass out). One thing to be aware of is that there is a cutoff for checking in bags when you've already checked in online. This cutoff is longer than the cutoff if you haven't checked-in. This happened to my mother last year. The agent said she couldn't check the bags b/c my mother had passed the cutoff but she would have been able to if I hadn't checked her in online.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:34 pm

Programs: UAL
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead

One thing to be aware of is that there is a cutoff for checking in bags when you've already checked in online. This cutoff is longer than the cutoff if you haven't checked-in. This happened to my mother last year. The agent said she couldn't check the bags b/c my mother had passed the cutoff but she would have been able to if I hadn't checked her in online.
OK, so call the number on the home-printed BP and have yourself offloaded. Then say, "Well, golly gee, I'm no longer checked in on that flight."

Preferably right in front of the TA who won't check your bags.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks. I think I will cough up the 3 bucks to curb-check. I don't want to deal with the lines tomorrow.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Even if you're gonna check bags, it's still a good idea to check in online so you can get the 500 RDMs. You can always print out your BPs again at the kiosks when checking in again.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:33 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Just so you're aware, there is a $2 or $3 charge per bag for checking bags with the skycap, and that's not including tip. In threads that have discussed this, some people have said that they don't tip now because of the flat charge.

I had seen some posts about a charge.....however it is not systemwide. I can still use the skycap at SBA for no charge, other than a tip.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:06 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sneezy
OK, so call the number on the home-printed BP and have yourself offloaded. Then say, "Well, golly gee, I'm no longer checked in on that flight."

Preferably right in front of the TA who won't check your bags.
Hehe. That's a great idea. I know to do that if it happens to me. My mother didn't know what to do at the time, though.

Originally Posted by peter11
I had seen some posts about a charge.....however it is not systemwide. I can still use the skycap at SBA for no charge, other than a tip.
The OP said he's flying out of ORD and I'm about 99% sure that they have instituted the charge here.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
OP by rhwbullhead:
...The procedure for checking in after you've checked in online is basically the same as what you'd do if you hadn't checked it. You go up to Mr. Chicken and scan your card and check your bags in. The only difference is that you already have a boarding pass when you check in online (assuming you printing the boarding pass out)....
Q: First, why check-in twice (or 3 times - online, curbside, counter)?
A:For miserable 500 rdm...
Q: Second, Which BP will you use to board? The on-line paper or the card from the Mr. Chicken?
A:
Q:Third, what do you do if your checked-in flight was canceled?
Answers:
a)You have a hassel on hands to get your life together.
b)From my experience you risk NOT getting BIS EQM/EQS for the flight that you checked-in twice. Ergo - Another hassel later.

Good luck.

Last edited by Intrepid; Dec 23, 2005 at 7:38 am
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:35 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Intrepid
OP by rhwbullhead:

Q: First, why check-in twice (or 3 times - online, curbside, counter)?
A:For miserable 500 rdm...
Q: Second, Which BP will you use to board? The on-line paper or the card from the Mr. Chicken?
A:
Q:Third, what do you do if your checked-in flight was canceled?
Answers:
a)You have a hassel on hands to get your life together.
b)From my experience you risk NOT getting BIS EQM/EQS for the flight that you checked-in twice. Ergo - Another hassel later.

Good luck.
Why? As long as you board the flight you are checked in for, I don't see why the miles won't be credited other than for the snafu one might encountered once in a while whether checked in once or twice. Besides, after you check-in online, I thought the check-in agent or kiosk only reprints your boarding pass, not recheck you. Of course, I can be wrong on this.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.