Community
Wiki Posts
Search

asking for status before taking the flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
I requested 1P status in June, when at 49K, I was flying to Beijing and wanted access to *Gold benes. They said no problem and did it while I was on the phone.

Last week, at 98K, I requested same for 1K, with my return flight (FRA-SFO), two days away and they said no...twice. Then they also told me that they might have considered it, as a one time option, but that I had already done it earlier in the year (see above).

I would say go for it. Being *Gold gets you into lounges on intl itins and is well worth it. Good chance they will give it to you.

fduvall

Originally Posted by germansoks
has anybody succesfully asked to be "granted" 1P status before taking the flight that would put you across the threshold this year?

I have a transatlantic flight coming up and am currently at 46k miles. so clearly that flight will put me across the threshold but I would like to have 1P status early simply because I have some pretty long layovers in the itin during which I could use the RCCs and of course for the 100% mileage bonus.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL
duplicate post

Last edited by germansoks; Dec 12, 2005 at 7:58 pm
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL
Unhappy no luck today

just talked to two ppl at MP and had them both ask their supervisors but apparently there is no way they will bump me up. Even upon mentioning that I know of several ppl who got the bump - some even twice in a year - they weren't gonna do it and started talking about those ppl probably being "high rev guys" and ppl who had status with UA before. I'll give it another try tom.

any more suggestion on how to sweet talk them into bumping me up would be appreciated?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Wish we could give you a magic answer, but other than try again with another agent is probably the only advice any of us can give.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by germansoks
just talked to two ppl at MP and had them both ask their supervisors but apparently there is no way they will bump me up. Even upon mentioning that I know of several ppl who got the bump - some even twice in a year - they weren't gonna do it and started talking about those ppl probably being "high rev guys" and ppl who had status with UA before. I'll give it another try tom.

any more suggestion on how to sweet talk them into bumping me up would be appreciated?
As they say, try, try, and try again..............
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:02 pm

Programs: United 1K
Earlier this year at about 40k miles I asked to get bumped up to 1P based on the fact that I had a flight later in the month that would put me over anyway. It took the agent all of 2 seconds to say "no problem". My flight was LAX-BKK so the double miles were especially nice.

Even if that was my one time bump, it was still worth it. From now on I intend to remain 1K, so where else would it really help?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriot Gold
Not for me

I tried it for 1k status earlier as I was well over 50,000 EQMs in June, and had reservations for another 30k or so. Didn't work, but it was a long shot.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADdutch
I tried it for 1k status earlier as I was well over 50,000 EQMs in June, and had reservations for another 30k or so. Didn't work, but it was a long shot.
Of course they did not give it to you! You did not even have enough travel booked!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Of course they did not give it to you! You did not even have enough travel booked!
Never hurts to try ...
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADdutch
Never hurts to try ...
In this case, I can promise you they would never do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.