Wiki Posts
Search

LAX and United Club Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

LAX and United Club Question

I recently received complimentary United club passes as part of the Ameniti offer.

I am flying on Delta early next week and I will have a wait in LAX.

I realize that Delta and United use different terminals, but they are on the same side of the airport.

Does anyone know if I can go through security for my Delta flight, walk to to United Club, use my pass, and get back to my Delta gate without going back through security?

Thanks to anyone who can help with this question.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I haven't flown DL at LAX, but if they are indeed on the same side of the airport as UA, you should be able to walk between the two airside. UA and CO share space in Terminal 6, so it would make sense if DL and CO can connect airside, and you can definitely walk between T6, T7, and T8.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:47 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Uh...No. T5 and T6/7 are not connected (well ok they are connected but the dumb arses at the TSA have closed the tunnels).
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: United GS/3MM Delta Platinum ,AA platinum,Marriott platinum,Hilton Diamond VIP,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by auh2o
Uh...No. T5 and T6/7 are not connected (well ok they are connected but the dumb arses at the TSA have closed the tunnels).
I agree with the above statement. You could do the long walk before September 11. They closed it. It is not worted. I believe they will not allow you to go to a different terminal without a valid ticket from the different airline. you will miss your flight.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Not sure how much you know about LAX, but here is some background that might be helpful:

United operates a few gates in T6, and all gates in T7 and T8. Terminals 6, 7, and 8 are all in the same airside secure area - you can walk among all gates in these three terminals / concourses.

I haven't been in T6 in a few weeks, but I seem to remember that Delta does operate one (two?) gates in T6. There is an airside bus to get you from T5 to T6 (or T6 to T5) if you are properly ticketed and have the appropriate boarding passes. Of course, if your Delta flight departs from T6, you can just go through security there.

The Red Carpet Club is in T7, adjacent to gate 70.

If you Delta flight is in T5, you can try to talk your way on to the bus to T6. Getting back to T5 with a propper boarding pass shouldn't be a problem. Of course, unless your layover at LAX is several hours or more, it's probably not worth it IMHO.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
Not sure how much you know about LAX, but here is some background that might be helpful:

United operates a few gates in T6, and all gates in T7 and T8. Terminals 6, 7, and 8 are all in the same airside secure area - you can walk among all gates in these three terminals / concourses.

I haven't been in T6 in a few weeks, but I seem to remember that Delta does operate one (two?) gates in T6. There is an airside bus to get you from T5 to T6 (or T6 to T5) if you are properly ticketed and have the appropriate boarding passes. Of course, if your Delta flight departs from T6, you can just go through security there.

The Red Carpet Club is in T7, adjacent to gate 70.

If you Delta flight is in T5, you can try to talk your way on to the bus to T6. Getting back to T5 with a propper boarding pass shouldn't be a problem. Of course, unless your layover at LAX is several hours or more, it's probably not worth it IMHO.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

This is all accurate, although it should be said that getting through security can be a NIGHTMARE at T5, and this move should not be attempted unless you have a lot of time to kill. If you are lucky enough that your Delta flight leaves from T6, then it's a piece of cake as you do not have leave United's security. If you have to go back and forth between T5 and T7, it's a lot of work. Just so you know.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood
I'd agree, you'd have to go out and back through security.
Depending on how the TSA feels you might or might not be able to get to the club. And the club at LAX, might not be worth it.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Maybe you'll get lucky and get one of the few DL flights leaving from Terminal 6. Perhaps you could check the DL flight information system to find out which flights regularly use it.

Or go for a DL codeshare operated by CO. All of the CO flights are in Terminal 6.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by nubiles
This is all accurate, although it should be said that getting through security can be a NIGHTMARE at T5, and this move should not be attempted unless you have a lot of time to kill.
He won't ever need to cross security into T5 - from T6 he can take the DL bus.

The only issue is getting into T6, which can likely be done via the DL bus or T6 security with a DL pass (I doubt they will check the actual gate assiginment, and if yhey do, you can say that you are standing by for an earlier flight.

Or you can take the easy way out and buy a refundable ticket on UA or CO to get past security.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
I think my post was misunderstood.

IME, there is an AIRSIDE bus, operated by Delta (or their subcontractor), to transport connecting passengers between T5 and T6. Once you're inside the Delta secure area, it is possible to go back and forth between T5 and T6, with the appropriate boarding passes, WITHOUT having to leave and re-enter security.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
No misunderstanding, but if his inbound arrives at T5, and his outbound departs from T5, ht might not have an "appropriate boarding pass" to get from T5 to T6 on the bus.

Obviously if he lands or departs from T6, none of this is a problem.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Where are you flying to? Nevermind the logistics of getting to and from T5/6/7, I'm no big fan of the LAX RCC. Depending on your destination, you might get more enjoyment at a different RCC on your return trip.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, UA silver, Hertz PC
Dont waste your time at the United club, crackers and cheese, sometimes prepacked muffins out of a vending machine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.