FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated Thread to Post Your UA Website Experiences/Complaints (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/482441-consolidated-thread-post-your-ua-website-experiences-complaints.html)

SkiAdcock Oct 23, 2004 7:09 pm

Yeah but I shouldn't have to...

KathyWdrf is right. There are work-arounds. Let me be cranky here though. I don't WANT to do work-arounds! I want it to work - period.

BTW - speaking of cranky - why was it deemed an 'improvement' to have waitlist disappear on myiteneries (sp)? Before if I was waitlisted for a flight, I could go online & check out if it cleared. Now it doesn't show that - and yes transpac I checked out view itin after your suggestion to see if that worked. So - I call in, wasting extra time & UA agent's time to find out status.

Not to repeat what everyone else is saying - if UA is gonna do its darndest to get us to use its site, the least it could do is make sure the site does what it's supposed to do!!!!

I'm not even as advanced as some of my fellow FTers, & as a low-tech I AM frustrated to the UA site. Geesh.

Rant over. World peace for all. Cheers.

Sharon

KathyWdrf Oct 23, 2004 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Yeah but I shouldn't have to...

KathyWdrf is right. There are work-arounds. Let me be cranky here though. I don't WANT to do work-arounds! I want it to work - period.

I agree. I just want things to work too. But waiting for ALL the problems to be fixed, realistically, is gonna be a LONG wait. There is WAY more than meets the eye in any system this complex, and probably not nearly enough resources to fix things rapidly. In the meantime, I'll look for workarounds whenever I find problems.

BrisbanePE Oct 24, 2004 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by UAMythbuster
Lol everything I say is opinions only....but as a person currently working to get a computer Science Bachelors degree..you cant make a website for Experts only because the computer illiterate and most all beginners it would never be able to use it. So most websites try to cover all of the bases....There is a way in the Upgrade profile area though to change your skill level to show that you are an expert. When you do this it basically it shows what the current availability is in each Seat class when you search for flights(ie: M, H, T, B...). Hope that helps you some.

UAMythbuster, I sincerely hope that before you finish your degree someone actually teaches you how websites and other end-user applications should be designed to cater for their intended users. You don't have to make interfaces complicated to achieve sophisticated usage, nor do you have to sacrifice capability to support ease-of-use by novices.

Unfortunately, most software systems are designed by people that are not qualified in user-interface design or have general HCI (Human-Computer-Interaction) skills. These days many of the people behind websites aren't even qualified programmers, let alone decent software architects.

Obviously you don't make a system so complex that only an expert can ever use it, but that was the point I was trying to make about "expert" mode. Given that we have the ability to tell the system whether we are a novice, or export, why not utilise that to modify the interface and the available functionality? Seems obvious to me.

The things that people complain about here regarding united.com do not represent particularly complex or "expert" oriented actions. If somebody (even a novice) can be given a voucher that can only be used with certain fare classes then the system should be capable of showing flights that suit. That seems fairly basic.

My concern is with the attitude that you expressed through your comments. If that attitude is shared by those responsible for the design of the website, then ther eis little hope of ever having a decent website.

SPort Jan 28, 2005 12:19 pm

A few days ago I was researching fares for my spouse's upcoming trip. One fare listed was $14 million! Just for fun I selected the fare -- at that point it showed up correctly (presumably) as $771.

One problem I'm having now that I want to book these flights...

When I log my spouse in and shop for flights, one of the segments I want to choose doesn't display, no matter how I search (price vs. schedule, entering hour of departure, etc).

When I log out and do the same search, the flight is offered...log back in and search, it's gone again.

MaryD Feb 21, 2005 8:42 am

Mary

Originally Posted by randomman
I have been on this board long enough to know that there are at least a thousand threads on problems with the United.com website. I figure that if we list them all in one place, it will help United realize that I am not the only one who experiences these problems and serve as a workplan for them if they are really too lazy to come up with one themselves.

Lets limit posts in this thread to poblems we have encountered or processes that could be improved. Lets stay away from commenting on each other's posts. I will update this main thread as necessary.

Thanks!

Randomman
Please help!!!!!!! First time on site and lost maybe you can direct me. Here's my problem. I'm looking at snow and I'm suppose to be on a cruise sitting on a deck chair and enjoying the ocean! Yesterday United had mechanical problems and we couldn't get a connecting flight in order to get us to the cruise ship in time. They did rebook us with Delta but would still have missed. They hung us on for hours and kept saying we were boarding in a few minutes, finally someone tried the 800 number and said the flight had been rescheduled for 12:30 in reality it left 8 hours after the scheduled time. they offered me a refund and $75.00 Is that enough?????
Thanks,
Mary

- Overall, the site is down about twenty percent of the time. This means that either the home page does not load at all, the site times-out during log-on, or specific features such as My Itineraries are unavailable.

- Searching for flights defaults to Search by Price, not Search by Schedule which makes much more sense.

- The only way to check available seats on a flight is to create a sample reservation, which takes about 5-10 minutes. Seat maps should be easily available from the main page.

- Seats can not be changed on-line.

- Only 500-mile upgrades can be requested online. Upgrade requests with SWU's or CR-1's must be called in.

- Upgrades can not be requested online for itineraries not booked on the United website.

- The pricing engine can not search fares by fare basis (i.e., F,C,Y,B,M,H,Q,V, etc.) even though fare bases are important to many customers for various reasons.

- No confirmation is provided after registering for promotions; Mileage Plus notoriously denies that people have registered for promotions when miles/certificates/upgrades/etc are due.

- The multi-city function requires input of all ground travel, adding to the time required to book such itineraries.

- Upgrade availability is not available.

- Award travel for Star Alliance carriers can not be searched or booked online.

- Award availability on United is inconsistent. Many times, a phone call will result in Saver Award bookings when United.com shows no availability.

- Search by schedule will not show the maximum 20 flight options, but rather limit options based on the time entered in the search function.

- Data should be preserved. Pressing Back or starting a new search should not delete settings such as the dates and city pairs.

- Infinite redirection loops are common.

- My Itineraries is often very slow or completely unavailable, resulting in errors.

- My Itineraries rarely shows segments where an upgrade is waitlisted.

- The flight search function often shows non-UA flights before UA flights, and sometimes offers no UA options at all.

- The ability to confirm schedule changes online should be added. The current mandatory phone call is tedious.

- It may not be possible to book a First/Business Class ticket if the flight originates or terminates in a city where First/Business class does not exist.

Keep them coming...

UnitedFFinAsia Jun 11, 2005 6:59 pm

My Itin Not Working

My Itin will not let me view the details of the Itin's I booked on United.com today 6/12 9am Beijing/HKG Time (9pm 6/11 EST)!!! :mad:
-UFFA

suzieq Jun 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Can't Do Multi City Search

AND right now, for the past 1/2 hr, I have been trying to do multi city search and website is unavailable. No problem with point to point . . .I've changed security settings and a few other things and still no success. This, to me, is a problem.

zifnib Jun 13, 2005 8:07 pm

when that happens try thier ip address http://209.87.112.90 There must be a DNS server down somewhere or being hacked....happens all the time on the internet but there IP address normally always works...

FourWheels Jan 3, 2006 9:02 am

Ugh, anyone having trouble accessing "My Intineraries"? All I need is my dang PNR number! :mad:

drjhwang Jan 5, 2006 2:46 am

When I go to the upgrade page, all my flights say "We?re sorry; we cannot process your request at this time. Please try again later or contact United Reservations at 1-800-United-1 (1-800-864-8331)." Basically, there's no pull-down menu to choose an instrument for upgrading. It's been this way for a couple of weeks now.

dc_newbie Jan 5, 2006 8:01 am

Can't log in and see miles or book award ticket

Originally Posted by drjhwang
When I go to the upgrade page, all my flights say "We?re sorry; we cannot process your request at this time. Please try again later or contact United Reservations at 1-800-United-1 (1-800-864-8331)." Basically, there's no pull-down menu to choose an instrument for upgrading. It's been this way for a couple of weeks now.

I have been having the same issue since 5.00PM EST yesterday 1/4/06. The home page comes up but when I log in, I get the message above.

u600213 Jan 5, 2006 8:46 am

Aside from concurring with many of the complaints already stated, I wish to complain about access to United from my Nextel cell phone. On my i830
web sites / travel / united/ 500: web service problem please contact the service provider

I can get to united using a different interface by using a tekniwap net alert
http://www.teknidude.com/wap/
to http://www.ua2go.com/htm/main.htm
but not from the normal way of picking it off the Nextel canned menu.

thezipper Jan 6, 2006 3:58 pm

oh... how about trying for 8 hours to get to "My Itineraries" and getting nothing but...

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

gfowler-ord-1k Jan 6, 2006 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
oh... how about trying for 8 hours to get to "My Itineraries" and getting nothing but...

The page cannot be displayed ...

Try closing all broswers window and log on again. That usually fixes it.

UNITED959 Jan 6, 2006 7:57 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!! Trying to build a multi-city itinerary. Each time I go back to change a city or time, it forgets all cities I've entered.

I HATE THIS WEBSITE. Seriously, how do these idiots ever expect to make money off of such a piece of garbage???? GRRRRRRRRR :mad:

All I want to do is build an itinerary and give UA some $$$$$....:rolleyes: