Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

October 20, the UA 10 Year Anniversary of Gerard Finneran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

October 20, the UA 10 Year Anniversary of Gerard Finneran

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
That snappy response makes it sound like you're not only prepared with the kind of cuffs real cops carry, but your itchin' to use them on the next guy who pulls a Finneran on your flight.
What would you have the flight attendant do instead? Coax him into putting on Depends?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
What would you have the flight attendant do instead? Coax him into putting on Depends?
They should have cut off the booze sooner and encouraged him to occupy himself with the necking, providing of course it didn't cross over from R- to X-rated or too greatly disconcert others. But if that wasn't possible, then cuffs would certainly have been justified.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
My grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimers just before turning 70 and died shortly thereafter not due to the disease but the drugs given to sedate him.

Thinking back we realized that he did some rather eccentric things in the year or two prior to the diagnosis. But it wasn't completely out of character since he had a strong personality and enjoyed joking around.

So I expect that Finneran had very early onset Alzheimers and was prone to some rather unfortunate eccentric behavior at this early stage of the illness.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
My grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimers just before turning 70 and died shortly thereafter not due to the disease but the drugs given to sedate him.

Thinking back we realized that he did some rather eccentric things in the year or two prior to the diagnosis. But it wasn't completely out of character since he had a strong personality and enjoyed joking around.

So I expect that Finneran had very early onset Alzheimers and was prone to some rather unfortunate eccentric behavior at this early stage of the illness.
According to the obituary notice, Mr. Finneran died at age 67 back in January '05. So he must have been around 58 years of age at the time of that incident, which would count as early onset disease, though I don't know about "very early onset," since there are cases, especially familial ones, of symptoms starting in 40's.

One should not die from the drugs used to treat this disorder, none of them terribly effective in amerliorating symptoms or delaying progression. If the drugs given your grandfather were really the cause of his death, then the medical care may not have met minimal standards.

Again, the question remains how likely is it that nine years before his death this progressive neurologic disease was already undermining his mental faculties and setting him up for what happened. We can only speculate given the minimum data available to us, but with some more, like information about behavior and functional levels before and after the incident, we might make more informed guesses. As someone interested in these sorts of things, I would very much like to know when Mr. Finneran was last a financial wizard.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:55 pm

early Alzheimer's?

In support of my speculation that what happened with Gerald Finneran my have been caused by alcohol on top of subclinical organic brain disease, I offer the following:

Dr. Peter Rabins, an Alzheimer's researcher and professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, told AP this new research confirms what many doctors now believe: that the abnormalities of Alzheimer's "really are present for at least 10 years before there are any symptoms. The idea that something would start before it became clinically obvious no longer seems that farfetched," Rabins explained.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
He is still in the NY area, actually living in Manhattan and working in NJ. He was so embarassed about this incident that he changed his name. After years of therapy and medication, "Benjamin " has his problem pretty much under control.

(Why do you guys make it sooooo easy?)
Nope...he didn't change his name, although he has apparently moved to a different "residence"...

Paid Notice: Deaths
FINNERAN, GERARD BUCKLEY (''JERRY'')
Published: January 3, 2005
FINNERAN--Gerard Buckley (''Jerry''). A longtime Greenwich resident, died December 29 at the Nathaniel Witherell Nursing Home in Greenwich, CT. He died of complications of Alzheimer's disease, according to his wife of 44 years, Judy Finneran of Stamford. Jerry was born February 16, 1937 in New York City to John Finneran and Dorothy Buckley Finneran, both of whom are deceased. He grew up in Larchmont, NY, and graduated from Iona Preparatory School in New Rochelle, NY in 1955. He then became part of the first graduating class from the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO, graduating in 1959. Subsequently, the Air Force sent him to the University of Michigan Graduate School of Business. After leaving the Air Force, Jerry took additional graduate courses at the N.Y.U. School of Business and completed the Advanced Management Program at the Harvard University School of Business. While in the Air Force, Jerry was stationed in Germany and Greece until his retirement in 1965 as a Captain. He joined Citibank's European Division in 1965 and was sent to London in 1966. He was then put in charge of opening and managing Citibank's subsidiary in Jersey, Channel Islands. In 1973, he returned to New York to set up and run Citibank's Latin American Investment Bank, which included investment banking offices in the major latin american countries. In 1983, he assumed responsibility for the North American Investment Bank for Citibank. He was a Senior Vice President and Senior Credit Officer at Citibank, and had worldwide investment banking responsibilities for the syndicated loan product. In 1985, he joined Drexel Burnham as a Managing Director to establish a Latin American Investment Banking Division for Drexel. He created a fund with one hundred seventy two million dollars to invest in Latin American debt and equities and became President of the Fund, DBL, America's Development Associations LP. In 1990, Trust Company of the West acquired the fund, changing the name to TCW America's Development Association, LP. In 1991, the charter of the fund was changed to encompass emerging markets debt and equity worldwide, and he also assumed responsibility for the co-management of the Argentine Investment Company, a private equity fund. In recent years, he volunteered with the South Forty Corporation, a non-profit organization that assists newly-released convicts in finding employment and reestablishing their lives. Jerry was involved in sports all of his life, lettering in football, baseball, basketball and diving in high school, and received sports scholarships to over 15 colleges. He was also the first person to receive the Con Edison Sportsman of the Week Award in two sports, football and diving. At the Air Force Academy, he was a quarterback for the football team and a member of the diving and baseball teams. As a member of the Millbrook Club for over 31 years, he enjoyed golf, tennis and paddle tennis. Besides his wife, Jerry is survived by his daughter, Laurie Calder of Bethesda, MD, his son, Mark Finneran of Fairfield, CT, two sisters, Judith Finneran of Greenwich, CT and Susan Ashley of Westport, CT, a brother, William Finneran of New York City, and three grandchildren. He was predeceased by his son, Scott Finneran, and his brother, John Finneran. A memorial service will be held at St. Mary's Church in Greenwich, CT, on Tuesday, January 4, 2005 at 10 AM. There are no calling hours. Burial will be private. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Fisher Center for Alzheimer's Research, 1 Intrepid Square, West 46 St and 12 Ave, NY, NY 10036, or by contacting www.alzinfo.org
FINNERAN--Gerard B. Jerry was one of the founding partners of TCW Worldwide and the author of its eclectic but very successful investment style. He was a consummate value investor who could see around corners. And he was a wonderful boss who focused on what people could do, not on what they couldn't. He engendered loyalty and love from those who were lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with him. His enthusiasm, caring and absolute fearlessness will be sorely missed. Penny, Dave, Consuelo, Stacey, Julie, Edna and Maureen TCW Worldwide Opportunities Fund
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:57 pm

jerry was my grandad, I never knew this about him...
Parterre likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:52 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
There are lots of words about Mr Finneran posted here. Perhaps, knowing what we now know, these are the most important:

"He was a consummate value investor who could see around corners. And he was a wonderful boss who focused on what people could do, not on what they couldn't. He engendered loyalty and love from those who were lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with him. His enthusiasm, caring and absolute fearlessness will be sorely missed."

I wish I could truthfully say something similar about a single one of the bosses for whom I have worked. Having read of his accomplishments and, more importantly, what Mr Finneran's friends and colleagues had to say about him, it seems he was quite a remarkable guy. What say we FTers give it--and him--a rest.

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Jun 28, 2008 at 11:57 pm
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zackxz16
jerry was my grandad, I never knew this about him...
hmmm...I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing, although from a glass half full approach, its nice to learn that your granddad had such notoriety.

Nonetheless, welcome to FlyerTalk. I hope you stay with us awhile.

Out of curiosity, how did you find this reference? "The google"?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:24 pm

Yup, google all the way.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
There are lots of words about Mr Finneran posted here. Perhaps, knowing what we now know, these are the most important:

"He was a consummate value investor who could see around corners. And he was a wonderful boss who focused on what people could do, not on what they couldn't. He engendered loyalty and love from those who were lucky enough to have the opportunity to work with him. His enthusiasm, caring and absolute fearlessness will be sorely missed."

I wish I could truthfully say something similar about a single one of the bosses for whom I have worked. Having read of his accomplishments and, more importantly, what Mr Finneran's friends and colleagues had to say about him, it seems he was quite a remarkable guy. What say we FTers give it--and him--a rest.
I agree. May he Rest In Peace.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.