Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

This passenger gives GS members a bad name [Merged Threads] (Updated 2010)

Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:19 am
dawei

I have had two FAs now comment to me that generally UGS members are the most obnoxious and rude pax they have. According to both of them, the higher the status the nicer the pax until you pass 1k (the nicest apparently) then they claim its all down hill. One thing that an FA shared with me that might help explain this is that UA is apparently comping UGS to directors of travel departments at large corporations resulting in lot of people who are not frequent flyers feeling really entitled. Wether UA actually comps a lot I dont know.

Anyway, Im just passing on gossip from FAs, not my opinions, hopefully I wont be flamed by the UGS members on here.

Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dawei
I have had two FAs now comment to me that generally UGS members are the most obnoxious and rude pax they have. According to both of them, the higher the status the nicer the pax until you pass 1k (the nicest apparently) then they claim its all down hill. One thing that an FA shared with me that might help explain this is that UA is apparently comping UGS to directors of travel departments at large corporations resulting in lot of people who are not frequent flyers feeling really entitled. Wether UA actually comps a lot I dont know.

Anyway, Im just passing on gossip from FAs, not my opinions, hopefully I wont be flamed by the UGS members on here.
I've been told that the nicest pax are 1Ks and UGS, since they fly all the time and know the ropes. I've been told this several times.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
hopefully I wont be flamed by the UGS members on here.
I wouldn't count on that...LOL
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Here's A Guy Who Fills This Bill

My UGS experience........

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108409

Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:16 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I've sat next to two UGS, one SNA-ORD in "F" and one LAX-LHR in "Y" (17A, B). Both were extremely nice folks. The one in SNA-ORD got ALOT of attention - somebody from the airport came up and chatted with him for a good 20 minutes, discussing all kinds of stuff. He was apparently VERY important to UA, but he wasn't a jerk at all and I appreciated that.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:31 am

I often seem to be the odd 1P among a bunch of UGS', and have found many of them to be heavily engaged in their work on board, hardly taking time even during the meal for a break. If traveling in pairs, they talk about work the entire time. At least in my experience, the UGS' I've encountered are at the office, even when there is a glass of wine and a dish of warm nuts in front of them. In check-in queues, they do seem to like to take out their UGS cards and fiddle with them, along with their passports.

Last edited by ButIsItArt; Oct 7, 2005 at 10:40 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I've been told that the nicest pax are 1Ks and UGS, since they fly all the time and know the ropes. I've been told this several times.
The 1K's I know (I know zero UGS members) are really cool people who love traveling and even love being in the air. But I can imagine people who fly so much they begin to hate it. Some even post on FT that they'll hit 400K EQMs this year, with a frowny face.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
I had my status questioned once, but since I don't have a 1K card to flash, I just waved my Wal*Mart super-saver plus card.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by danville 1K
One of my favorite threads:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107780
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by thelark
What I have noticed here is that the majority of people have commented as to how they would answer/have answered such people in the past. I do not understand why anyone would feel a need to justify themselves in any way to any other passenger.
I totally agree. I wouldn't have punched him (right away), nor asked somebody to call the cops because he grabbed my shoulder. But, I would have immediatly put myself about two inches from his face and yelled something along the lines of "Don't you ever f'ing touch me." At that point, if he strikes first, then I'll be sure to finish it - unless of course others intervene, which is what sounds like would happen in this case. It seems like this jerk was really just being a bully. And when the young guy didn't do/say much the first time he was grabbed - that just encouraged the jerk to do it again.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superEGO
assumption is the mother of all f______
Pre-UGS, I had many experiences like this (sort of in reverse). I would be dressed in jeans (as a 1k w/ a FC boarding pass) and a good number of middle age folks in suits touting their PREMIER status and E+ seat would try to push me around assuming I was a poor 6'5" 22 year old nothing in seat 103B...

Oh well...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
An Oldie but Goodie

I know that 90% of the people on here have seen this, but for the 10% that haven't, it's worth posting.

http://snopes.com/travel/airline/obnox.htm
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold

Where is my flamethrower when I need it.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PremEx
Sadly, this type of story and more like it is why many United front line personnel refer privately to many a Global, as a "Globhole."
Not all of us are that bad. The cranky guy in the OPs initial post is a chump! PremEx is something else.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Garbbed him by the shoulder and pulled him backward? That would have prompted me to tell the agent to call the police for a battery charge. That pompous jagoff wouldn't have been flying on the same plane with me.
You tell 'em, iluv2fly! ^

I would have turned around and said, "Buddy, you have 2 ways to get out of my face. You can either walk away now or you will be flying on your arse. Either way, be assured, you WILL be getting out of my face!"

What a putz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.