Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What’s the difference between First & Business on p.s?

Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Can anyone tell me the difference between First & Business class on UA’s p.s. between JFK & SFO? Looking at the website it seems that apart from price the only difference is 12 inches extra leg room in first. Is it worth paying that much extra? Is the food and service any different? I’m a BD *G so I get RCC access in any class. Unfortunately work rather than rest is going to be my priority on these flights.

Any input gratefully received, thanks very much for your help.

W.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:26 pm

Personally I'd only do first on PS for a redeye on which I needed to sleep. Otherwise the business class seat is excellent.

Service is excellent in both (unless you end up with a bum crew, in which case it doesn't matter where you sit).

-BP
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Most around here agree that F is not worth the extra cost. This is mostly since C is such as strong product. One perk of F is the privacy - the cabin forward of door 2 on the 757 is very isolated from the rest of the aircraft. Those Hollywood stars are like hothouse flowers, you know!
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SPG Platinum
... alluded to, no real difference between the two, except for:
  • Flat reclining seats
  • Slightly different meals (same entree choices, more dressings, more toppings on dessert)

Unless I'm flying the red-eye, I chose business class. It's a great product (makes it worthwhile flying a non-LCC these days).
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Suggest a search of this forum for numerous threads on the service in C & F on p.s. - both are excellent and you won't go wrong either way.

If it matters to you, one difference for F is that you'll be granted access to the International FC lounges at JFK & SFO rather than the more crowded RCC's.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
does anyone know if PS has been profitable for UA?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
In all honesty, I prefer row 9 in C on p.s. to anything in F Much more legroom, and the C seats recline certainly far enough for me to sleep on a red-eye.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exerda
In all honesty, I prefer row 9 in C on p.s. to anything in F Much more legroom, and the C seats recline certainly far enough for me to sleep on a red-eye.
ditto and especially for sleeping (redeye or otherwise) c is just fine
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sooks
  • Flat reclining seats
  • Slightly different meals (same entree choices, more dressings, more toppings on dessert)

Unless I'm flying the red-eye, I chose business class. It's a great product (makes it worthwhile flying a non-LCC these days).

Agree totally but would add better service and better wine.
Ozflier
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sooks
  • Flat reclining seats

Now, now, there's no need to be vulgar.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:26 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflier
Agree totally but would add better service and better wine.
Ozflier
Generally, I find the wines in F to be substantially better then the wines in C. This applies to all 3-cabin A/C, not just on the p.s. flights.

Service tends to be more consistent in p.s. F than international F. One reason might be the limited room for NRSA's in C/F on p.s. flights, if you get my drift...
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez

If it matters to you, one difference for F is that you'll be granted access to the International FC lounges at JFK & SFO rather than the more crowded RCC's.
You get access to F lounge in JFK & LAX, not SFO, since F lounge in SFO is inside international terminal, but P.S. flights depart in domestic, there is no way for you to get in there.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:56 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Suggest a search of this forum for numerous threads on the service in C & F on p.s. - both are excellent and you won't go wrong either way.

It has been noted a few times that a search for p.s./PS doesn't work well.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
Generally, I find the wines in F to be substantially better then the wines in C. This applies to all 3-cabin A/C, not just on the p.s. flights.
Of course, for the difference in price, you can buy case(s) of the better wine!
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amartin1979
does anyone know if PS has been profitable for UA?
It loses less money then flying ratty 762s, but by most accounts would not be profitable if operated independently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.