Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

We missed the 10th anniversary of 777 service!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We missed the 10th anniversary of 777 service!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:49 am

The first commercial flight was preceded by official launch, which also took place at LHR. It was a few hours event for press and invited guests. I was also there as one of the few (then) LHR based elites. It started at check-in area with special desk for the event, then pre-boarding buffet and drinks at RCC. We were talked through specs and features of 777 and then invited to board the plane. After some time on the ground to check the layout and facilities, we took to the skies for over an hour flight. Drinks and food were served to provide the taste of things to come. After landing there was a Q&A and/or press conference, few more drinks... and that was it. I think one or two days later 777 started commercial life at UA.
Regarding seating... C class also went through a change. Initial Connoiseur seats were also flat with footrests terminated by flimsy metal bar. Replaced few years later by "cradle" seat, ahead of appearance of F suite.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:48 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I was on the first US 777 departure (UA910 DEN-ORD(-IAD)) on June 7 - it was the first 777 arrival also (since the LHR-IAD flight was still in the air). UA921 was flown by N777UA appropriately while we were on N766UA - I still consider that one an old personal friend.

it was a great party at DEN, ORD and IAD. I remember those well.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:32 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by DogHead
The first commercial flight was preceded by official launch, which also took place at LHR. It was a few hours event for press and invited guests. I was also there as one of the few (then) LHR based elites. It started at check-in area with special desk for the event, then pre-boarding buffet and drinks at RCC. We were talked through specs and features of 777 and then invited to board the plane. After some time on the ground to check the layout and facilities, we took to the skies for over an hour flight. Drinks and food were served to provide the taste of things to come. After landing there was a Q&A and/or press conference, few more drinks... and that was it. I think one or two days later 777 started commercial life at UA.

I was on the filght too!!

I got invited via Business Traveller magazine.

We met at the Renaissance, where we were subject to some market research. IIRC we were asked our opinions of some adverts. Most notably the one of the fast talking little girl (my daddy blah, blah...). I still think she should be back handed into space! After that we met with some UA folks for food and informal chat. We then were taken by bus to the plane and got to have a nose around. We all got seats in Conoisseur class (14J is my lucky 777 seat). The captain did a full power take off (exiting and after a few of those, no need for a face lift ). We were served chapers (loads of it) and chilled salmon (on the old F class plates). We then circled the Paris Airshow and then buzzed the island of Jersey (that was a blast!).

How I got home, I don't know, but the grin took a while to dim from my face.

Sadly couldn't get on the first commercial flight, but managed the next day.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:32 am

I was on one of the first SFO-LHR 777 flights. After landing at LHR, my companion and I were invited onto the flight deck where the captain was clearly delighted to be able to show it off. I got to sit in the right-hand seat. That was one of my most cherished moments on United.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gosh, all these great testimonials and personal stories about the 777 -- sure would make a great commercial...that would benefit both UA and Boeing!

If a special "777 tribute" debuts next week, you all know who deserves the credit.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
I was on the filght too!!

I got invited via Business Traveller magazine.
Small world...
I was invited by Joanna C (where's she now? ), one of the customers accounts managers. When she called me I thought initially: it's a hoax...
But two days later I received official invitation from UA by post.
I sat in aisle seat in middle row of forward C cabin (in early configuration there were three rows there) and later swap with a friend for window.
Someone told me on the flight that it was UA intention to land at Paris show for a brief visit and "show off" but they couldn't get all the paperwork done and approved on time. I don't know how much truth is in it, but at the end there was only bird's eye view.
My first commercial flight on 777 took place few months later at the end of September to EWR, my favourite gateway to Manhattan, sadly no longer served from LHR.

And now coming back to beginning of my post... in unlikely event of similar promotion taking place again in LHR. Who will organize/invite/staff such a thing? UA station is no more, customers services moved to Dublin and soon to be moved again to India and Poland.
I don't hold my breath waiting for phone call from Bangalore.

Last edited by DogHead; Aug 31, 2005 at 9:42 am
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
What is the expected useful life of a 777?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
20-30 years, easy.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Depends on how you measure it... Airlines like Kalitta are still flying 747-100s built in 1971 (N714CK for instance) to haul cargo, but it's unlikely you'd be able to find a 747 that old still in passenger service for a non-third-world airline. So you might expect to see a 777 manufactured today still in service in 2039 or beyond. The lifespan of the composite 787 will likely be even more impressive...
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I remember the initial limited USA routings for the 777 and how I rearranged my flights just to get a ride on the new bird. It was so worth it. Happy 10th Anniversary!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I flew one of UA's 777s in 1995 from SFO-LHR. I was very excited to ride in a 777 and the PTV's were great.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:51 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Gosh, all these great testimonials and personal stories about the 777 -- sure would make a great commercial...that would benefit both UA and Boeing!

If a special "777 tribute" debuts next week, you all know who deserves the credit.
Prior to that first 777 flight I was on on June 7, 1995 I was at Seattle visiting with Boeing. Actually I was (blush) invited there, taken to lunch, went on a tour (saw lovely new 777's on the ramp), saw some of the computer systems they were doing the 777 designs on (very cool stuff back then. All that SGI hardware!) and even offered a job! (well, sort of!). A really fantastic experience and wonderful people there - I had the time of my life.

This thread made me dig out some of the stuff I still have from that time - Boeing newspapers (they have this internal thing called the Boeing News) with lots of 777 production stuff in it. OriginalUA first flight certificates.. the original (crappy!) entertainment guide and some other promotional items I was given. Some really fond memories.

A few years after that I was invited to UA WHQ by someone I knew and they presented me with a lovely model of N777UA in the now old colours -a treasured gift. The amusing thing about that day was that later on that day I flew IAD-LHR on UA. Operated by, yes that's right, N777UA! Even whackier when I was paged and given an op up (I was a 2P on a V fare I think it was) and my WHQ friend swore they had nothing to do with it and it was just a freak op up (not so sure if I can believe that one, but I didn't decline either! ).

in 1998 I just missed the first flight of the 777-300 on CX and had to settle for the 6th day of operations - I flew from Kai Tak (RIP!) to KIX and connected to AN back to BNE (all fond memories now, apart from CX and KIX!) and the flight crew allowed me in the cockpit for most of the flight. They showed off the wheel cameras and all kinds of other stuff. Very good of them.

very very fond memories of the 777. I hope to amass even more over the life of the aircraft!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by cstead
I'm pretty sure the first flight was LHR-East coast, because the LHR-East Coast flights are day time, which provided better press coverage. The same pomp couldn't occur on a 9pm departure IAD-LHR.

I spent a few minutes googling, and it was indeed LHR-IAD, #931.
http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers...june/i_ca.html
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777...ilestones.html

I wanna say that the second and third flights, which operated later that day, were domestic.
I can confirm it was LHR-IAD-ORD as I was on it!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:57 am

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
Originally Posted by Markie
I can confirm it was LHR-IAD-ORD as I was on it!

Thanks everyone for the info. I guess I was a little turned around!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.