Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

M+ Purge Data Print - A piece of your United history that You should get!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M+ Purge Data Print - A piece of your United history that You should get!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Used the "e-mail MP" link yesterday and said that my accountant had requested my flight history (going all the way back to 1986). Got this response today... Will post back when/if it shows up! I am oddly excited about this!

Hello Mr. ORD-LIH,

We’re always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

You can obtain a printout via the mileage summary on the web for activity from January 1 of the previous calendar year to the current date.

We have requested the remaining archived data for you which will be mailed to you and takes 10-14 business days for you to receive. This data will only include the flights that were paid for with money and credited to your Mileage Plus account.

Thank you for choosing United and Mileage Plus.

XXXX XXXX

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm Reason: per policy
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
Used the "e-mail MP" link yesterday and said that my accountant had requested my flight history (going all the way back to 1986). Got this response today... Will post back when/if it shows up! I am oddly excited about this!

Hello Mr. ORD-LIH,

We’re always glad to hear from 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

You can obtain a printout via the mileage summary on the web for activity from January 1 of the previous calendar year to the current date.

We have requested the remaining archived data for you which will be mailed to you and takes 10-14 business days for you to receive. This data will only include the flights that were paid for with money and credited to your Mileage Plus account.

Thank you for choosing United and Mileage Plus.

XXXX XXXX
Received the package in the mail yesterday (10/28). As everyone else described it was split into two packets of paper. Really incredible stuff. Glad UA didn't mind picking up the $1.30 in USPS first class postage.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Pretty cool thing to have, isn't it?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:41 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm holding off to request mine until I hit MM status in February...Hope it's not too late--I assume not since the FF programs won't merge for a while. I want to get it as soon as I'm 'there'...My flight history of my first million (paid) miles.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No more data purge printing?

I requested prints for my in-laws (a 1KMM and a 1K2MM). While noting their loyalty to United, the rep then gave the following reason as to why they could NOT fulfill this request:

Due to the expense and time consuming nature of archived and purged data recovery, we only offer printed summaries of purged and archived data from accounts when directed by a court order. If your in-laws have such a requirement, we will be happy to provide the data in printed form.

Ouch - anyone else hear anything approximating this?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I requested prints for my in-laws (a 1KMM and a 1K2MM). While noting their loyalty to United, the rep then gave the following reason as to why they could NOT fulfill this request:

Due to the expense and time consuming nature of archived and purged data recovery, we only offer printed summaries of purged and archived data from accounts when directed by a court order. If your in-laws have such a requirement, we will be happy to provide the data in printed form.

Weird. I'd try calling back.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Due to the expense and time consuming nature of archived and purged data recovery, we only offer printed summaries of purged and archived data from accounts when directed by a court order......

This is nothing new. If you search this thread, you will find this response has been recieved a few times over the past few years.
Just request again.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Got mine today

I requested a data purge printout about 10 days ago by the contact request in UAL.com. I said it was for personal use and possibly for future litigation issues. I got it without any further request for information from UA.

It really is weird seeing a wide form dot matrix printout on fan fold paper!! I have not seen anything like that in decades!!!!! Seriously, decades!!!

Somehow, this all explains why .bomb is as it is. Their entire IT infrastructure must be ancient. This should all be online. Why waste the paper and mail costs. And who the heck still uses dot matrix impact printers anymore !?!??!? (except for where invoice copies or such are needed).

Oh, and interesting piece of personal trivia. I have completed just under 400 flight segments with UA since 1986, and as I am just short of 1MM, that is an average of 2.5K per flight segment. It is cool how they number and count every flight segment you have ever taken.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just requested my printout - I'll be interested to see how far back it goes. My Mileage Plus account shows that I've been a member since February 9, 1988 (when I wasn't even 2 1/2 years old yet!) Not sure how often my parents put my MP # into my itineraries when I was little, but I guess we'll find out! ^
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by blueman2

I requested a data purge printout about 10 days ago by the contact request in UAL.com. I said it was for personal use and possibly for future litigation issues. I got it without any further request for information from UA.
Please tell me where I can find "the contact request in UAL.com."

I looked through United's site but could not find anything that looks like it could be the place to request a lifetime purge.

Thanks.
-
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: MP 1P HH Gold, Hyatt P
I went to the Customer Service link-e-mail tab and then Mileage Plus. I received mine in 8 days after requesting there.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

When I called in (I think about a year ago), I was told I had to request it in writing, I think I had to send a snail mail to World HQ.

Originally Posted by blueman2
It really is weird seeing a wide form dot matrix printout on fan fold paper!! I have not seen anything like that in decades!!!!! Seriously, decades!!!

Somehow, this all explains why .bomb is as it is. Their entire IT infrastructure must be ancient. This should all be online. Why waste the paper and mail costs. And who the heck still uses dot matrix impact printers anymore !?!??!? (except for where invoice copies or such are needed).
Hehe, the dot matrix printers are still used a lot in the airline industry. I've seen them at the gates, I presume to print out manifests and stuff, at least with some carriers and stations. It's funny to see those things printing.

On the other hand, with computers/tech, UA and most other legacy carriers have some of the oldest computer systems around - they've just overlayed with new systems and layered with new GUI's. I think you'd be surprised at how old some of the backend systems actually are. Now you know why at the counter, agents have to type so much to make seemingly simple things happen. I guess getting a brand new system for the needs of the 21st century just costs too much at this point.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
just requested mine in addition for my 1P card to be sent... hopefully the requests will be honored and they will show up in my mailbox! (requested 2P and 1P card last year but never saw them)

also does anyone know if this feature is available for other major US carriers such as AA?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:56 pm

snip snip

While noting their loyalty to United, the rep then gave the following reason as to why they could NOT fulfill this request:

-
Yes, I got a similar denial recently.

I wonder why some people get the print out while others are refused.

Could it be that the person at United who gets the request just does not want to be bothered?
-
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Yes, I got a similar denial recently.

I wonder why some people get the print out while others are refused.

Could it be that the person at United who gets the request just does not want to be bothered?
-
First, I think it is like everything within United (or just about any non governmental organization that employs 80,000+ people) that there are strict rules and then there are areas with a bit more gray. I think this is one of the gray areas where an MP employee is allowed to provide an MP customer a purge data print but they are not required to do so.

So a little roulette with what employee you catch and how good/bad their day is along with how viable they think your story is as to why you need the data.

If you get turned down once, just try again. Like everything with United, gentle persistence pays off... most of the time. I got mine on the first e-mail but I certainly would have kept trying (via snail mail or whatever) if they had denied it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.