Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is This Person a Flyer Talker (aka, the 'Mr. Pillows' Thread)?

Is This Person a Flyer Talker (aka, the 'Mr. Pillows' Thread)?

Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Bear - Details on FA Death

Bear - I posted this incident on this board several days ago. Here's the post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457905
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wintersummer
Bear - I posted this incident on this board several days ago. Here's the post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457905
Sorry I missed it. How terrible. But does anyone know what happened and can add to that thread?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's all true.

Marvel even has a comic book about the guy:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/dpf_1689_804278

Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:35 am

I have to admit, this sounds like the thing Urban Legends are made of.

tia.ffany sounds like he/she has the inside scoop. Some further details would be nice.

Originally Posted by tia.ffany
It's not rumor.
My bf and I we flew next to him last year from GRU-ORD.
I wonder if this Mr. PIllows you are mentioning is the same one I've heard about , if so I have an interesting story that somebody told me about his "milk"...

"Once upon a time, in a bright sunny day, Mr. Pillows was going to fly on the UAxxx flight ... two United employees were driving toward the airport with Mr. Pillows's milk ... although they were not speeding, a very unfortunate accident happened and so "the milk" couldn't have been delivered at that night.
The supervisors were notified and so they informed Mr. Pillows about the situation and the reason why he wouldnt have his Milk on that flight at that night. Mr. pillows said he was sorry about the two ladies involved in the accidents and left in his usual F-class seat.
In the following day the Customer relations Dp. got a letter from Mr. Pillows... complaining about the Milk that wasn't onboard for him.

Believe it or not ... that s a true story.

PS: The two ladies got seriously injured but they are fine now and back to work ... without the milk, never anymore.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96

"Mr. Pillows is an extremely important customer. He pays us millions extra for his pillows. He always flies full fare!"

Not a FT'er .. no-one on these boards fits that description.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:48 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dunbar
There are basically four corporate aircraft that can fly nonstop from the US to Asia:

Gulfstream G500/G550
Bombardier Global Express
Boeing Business Jet
Airbus Corporate Jet

You're looking at a minimum of 50 million to buy it, plus a few million a year to operate the thing. Anything smaller and you're going to have to make a stop, and it won't be as comfortable as international first class. I heard of one company that had their GIII deadhead to Australia while the executives flew commercial. All so they could fly the GIII around Australia, and hop 747 back to the states! A Gulfstream cabin gets claustraphobic on such a long flight.

To charter such a jet you're probably looking at 3-4X the cost of even fully refundable FC tickets.

GIII has a range of 3700nm, GIV-SP 4600nm. There's no way they can make Asia non-stop.
When I did a job for Gulfstream some years ago, it was claimed that operating expenses of a then GIV was one third of the purchase price. So back then, it would cost about US$8,000,000 per year to operate a GIV as the full operator.

I wonder if my contractor's badge is still good at the Gulfstream plant....
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:08 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I, for one, dont buy it. Can we ask Snopes to look into it!?!?!?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I, for one, dont buy it. Can we ask Snopes to look into it!?!?!?
It is absolutely true! I have flown next to this guy!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:40 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
...and something else. Anyone that fussy would not bother with FT
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Morgo
... care to tell us a bit more about this guy?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Morgo
Oh, so that was you, Morgo?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
... care to tell us a bit more about this guy?
What more do you want to know about him? All the suggestions about how he likes to travel are more or less correct, based on what I have observed. I dont wish to divulge any personal information (i.e. nationality or attributes) because I dont actually know the guy plus he deserves his anonymity!

I do wish I was in his shoes, where I had enough wealth to command an airline to bow to my every whim Mind you, if I was that wealthy I think I'd be agreeing with the group above and flying about in my own personal jet! I can live with a stopover to refuel, a minor nuisance for the luxury of having a jet
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by JS
I think it's pretty sad when people take rumors from another board and spread them to this one.
I think this thread is a hoot! This thread and the NW forum are keeping me entertained this week!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by Traveller
I think this thread is a hoot! This thread and the NW forum are keeping me entertained this week!
Yeah can you imagine the reaction this guy would have to his 1/2 ounce bag of Sun Chips if he was flying Delta (not to mention the fact that they discontinued pillows)
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by roberto99
When I did a job for Gulfstream some years ago, it was claimed that operating expenses of a then GIV was one third of the purchase price. So back then, it would cost about US$8,000,000 per year to operate a GIV as the full operator.
Seems a bit high unless you've got a monthly note and you include depreciation. If you don't include those two I'd put it at 1.5-3 million a year to operate a brand new G550 depending on how much it's flown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.