Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Award travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Booking Award travel

Will United let you book the out bound portion of a reward trip 330+/- days ahead and then book the return, say, two weeks later? (from what I've read, this seems necessary for Hawaii)
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Technically, no. If you book a one way award (one with no return), then change to a RT, they will charge you a $100 change fee.

United will hold an award reservation for 3 days. I've seen them extend this to 6 days fairly easily, and on rare occation for longer (REALLY HARD).

You can book a "dummy" return, with the route you want but on earlier dates, and then change the dates after booking.

This works provided you guess the route that award availability will open up. And that awards are even available. That is difficult.

Maybe others can share other insights on their experience.

Billy
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Technically, no. If you book a one way award (one with no return), then change to a RT, they will charge you a $100 change fee.

United will hold an award reservation for 3 days. I've seen them extend this to 6 days fairly easily, and on rare occation for longer (REALLY HARD).

You can book a "dummy" return, with the route you want but on earlier dates, and then change the dates after booking.

This works provided you guess the route that award availability will open up. And that awards are even available. That is difficult.

Maybe others can share other insights on their experience.

Billy
We actually booked Hawaii 330 days for the outbound and called three days later and added a dummy return.

However, we were finally lucky enough to get a rep who extended our wait from 3 days to 10 days since we were taking a 10 day trip.

Ask if you can extend your hold from 3 days to what you need. If they don't, try a couple of hours or the next day until someone does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.