Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Code Shares with China Air

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Gold; Starwoods Gold; Ameniti; Priority Club; Hertz Gold 5*
UA Code Shares with China Air

An emphasis on Asian business has given me the opportunity to switch my business to United. I am working on 1k so every mile counts, so I look for every opportunity on UA or partners for miles

Therefore, on the trip I am currently taking, on the advice of FT threads, I waited until I arrived in Hong Kong to book my intra China flights hoping to book UA codeshares on China Air. I could not find one that was a UA codeshare to get Mileage Plus miles. This included flights from HKG to Guangzhou (will take the express train from Kowloon instead), Guangzhou-Chengdu and Chengdu-PEK. Has anyone had much luck finding UA codeshares with China Air?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 5:20 am

I think you mean Air China. China Airlines is the main carrier out of Taiwan.

Anyway, the UA codeshares on Air China metal are primarily on the USA (JFK, LAX, SFO)-China nonstop routes, but there are supposed to be a few domestic routes as well. Personally, even if I could find a UA coded flight, I would not bother since the fare is likely to be priced 1.5x-2.0x higher for the privilege.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there are only a few code share flights with Air China. The ones that CA flies from USA - China and then a few from Beijing to Chengdu, Guangzhou, Xian, and other big cities that would make for good connections from the UA Beijing flights.

I don't know if you can book them as a UA flight if you don't have the UA connection from the US.

The above poster is right too in that inter-China fares can be had much cheaper than what UA offers them for. Just book them in China or H.K. and you will pay at most 50% of what UA offers to charge you for the exact same flight.

As an aside if you're gonna be flying to Asia often why not fly on a nicer carrier than UA? There are so many better and cheaper choices. If your company pays for C or F take SQ or CX, if you company pays for Y check out the price of a China Airlines (Taiwan carrier) business class tix as it is sometimes even cheaper than UA Y class fares. All these airlines have US mileage partners so you can continue to earn miles.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has codeshare with Air China (CA) on Beijing to Guangzhou, which connects to UA's Beijing nonstop service from both San Francisco and Chicago. In addition, looks like Beijing-Chengdu is also a codeshare route.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Mileage Accrual on Air China Flights

Believe that following markets are the only ones eligible for accrual:

Beijing, China (PEK), to/from Guangzhou (CAN), Chongqing (CKG), Chengdu (CTU), Foshan (FOC), New York/Kennedy (JFK), Shenyang (SHE), San Francisco (SFO), Shenzhen (SZX) and Xian (XIY)

Shanghai, China (PVG), to/from Chengdu (CTU)

Paid tickets in First, Business and full-fare Economy earn 100% actual mileage, whereas paid tickets in discount Economy earn only 70% actual mileage

In my experience accrual occurs whether or not the flight is a United codeshare
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Talking

Originally Posted by Jet Yi

I wish I could have the same experience however now with the partnering of CX and CA I will get Credit on Asia Miles ^ . In my experience if you get the miles consider yourself lucky b/c if you dont sending in the BP and ticket stub will not get you much. Good Luck and keep reading FT if you want to make 1K, I will this year!!!
-UFFA
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:25 am

Last year I received United Miles for my Air China flights between Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai's domestic airport (SHA). I wrote a letter to United requesting credit and attached my ticket stubs, and with in weeks the following appeared in my mileage account:

12-Aug-04 CA 1517 S Class PEK to SHA 676 0 676
15-Aug-04 CA 1558 S Class SHA to PEK 676 0 676

As far as I know these were not code share flights.

I also got miles for my Air China flights between Beijing and LAX:

8-Aug-04 CA 0984 N Class LAX to PEK 6,228 0 6,228
15-Aug-04 CA 0983 N Class PEK to LAX 6,228 0 6,228

These were not code share flights... Also I bought discount economy tickets but was credited for 100% miles.

Is this standard or did I just get lucky?

Originally Posted by Jet Yi
Believe that following markets are the only ones eligible for accrual:

Beijing, China (PEK), to/from Guangzhou (CAN), Chongqing (CKG), Chengdu (CTU), Foshan (FOC), New York/Kennedy (JFK), Shenyang (SHE), San Francisco (SFO), Shenzhen (SZX) and Xian (XIY)

Shanghai, China (PVG), to/from Chengdu (CTU)

Paid tickets in First, Business and full-fare Economy earn 100% actual mileage, whereas paid tickets in discount Economy earn only 70% actual mileage

Last edited by djohn125; Jun 23, 2005 at 11:27 am
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djohn125
Last year I received United Miles for my Air China flights between Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai's domestic airport (SHA). I wrote a letter to United requesting credit and attached my ticket stubs, and with in weeks the following appeared in my mileage account:

12-Aug-04 CA 1517 S Class PEK to SHA 676 0 676
15-Aug-04 CA 1558 S Class SHA to PEK 676 0 676

As far as I know these were not code share flights.

I also got miles for my Air China flights between Beijing and LAX:

8-Aug-04 CA 0984 N Class LAX to PEK 6,228 0 6,228
15-Aug-04 CA 0983 N Class PEK to LAX 6,228 0 6,228

These were not code share flights... Also I bought discount economy tickets but was credited for 100% miles.

Is this standard or did I just get lucky?
I'd say you got quite lucky. I'd edit your post to hide the dates and flights in case someone from MP is reading.

I bought a CA ticket for UA metal flights and got 0 UA miles.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:40 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thumbs up

I would say very luck indeed. Although there seems to be some confusion in the system between PEK & SHA which flights recieve credit and which flights do not.
-UFFA
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
I'd say you got quite lucky. I'd edit your post to hide the dates and flights in case someone from MP is reading.
And, how are you helping by "quoting" his flight info in your post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.