United Introduces Business1

Old Jun 14, 05, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
United Introduces Business1

United is pleased to introduce Business1SM, our new service offered on flights between O'Hare and Boston Logan, Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York LaGuardia, Newark, Philadelphia and Washington Reagan.

Convenient gates
Now finding your gate at the airport should be a breeze. Business1 flights will depart from our most preferred gates. From Chicago O'Hare, you'll depart from terminal 1, Concourse B.

Guaranteed arrival times
You need to get where you're going on time. That's why Business1 arrival times are guaranteed. If your flight arrives 30 minutes or more past the scheduled arrival time, regardless of reason, we'll give you 500 Redeemable Miles*. To participate in this bonus offer, you must be registered within seven days of your flight.

Register now.

Complimentary newspapers and meals
United First® and Economy Plus® passengers can enjoy complimentary newspapers on flights departing at or before 10am, Monday through Friday. A complimentary meal is now being served in United First during meal times on all Business1 flights, except Minneapolis.

And, as on every United flight, our most frequent customers can stretch out in comfort with up to five extra inches of legroom in our Economy Plus section, if available.
Old Jun 14, 05, 12:17 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
So that was indeed the 'big news'. Ho-hum. (No offense to the original poster who mentioned it yesterday).

Basically same packaging, new name...Don't see the big deal other than the 500 miles for a late flight. A newspaper! Wow! And weren't there meals in F on these flights before?
Old Jun 14, 05, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
FYI, registration and T&Cs .
Old Jun 14, 05, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
no free soda?

No mention of the reinstallation of the soda machines that the BusinessOne (was that the name? i'm blanking...) gates previously had. I always enjoyed having a very small complimentary cup of Fresca with no ice before my flights!
Old Jun 14, 05, 12:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, other stuff I can't recall
bleh...
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
I wonder if the RDM also counts connecting PAX. For example, if I miss my LAX-ORD-DCA connection because of something on the LAX-ORD leg, so I still get them.

Otherwise, this hardly counts as a "big" announcement, IMHO.
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Platinum: SPG, Marriott, IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta
Unhappy Still the same

Big Deal
THE BIGGER NEWS IS: Unfortunately, we still stuck with the same United.bomb.
-UFFA
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catwood
Convenient gates
Now finding your gate at the airport should be a breeze. Business1 flights will depart from our most preferred gates. From Chicago O'Hare, you'll depart from terminal 1, Concourse B.
DCA/LGA/BOS already depart from B, MSP is actually good news, that is usually from the depths of C in my experience. Can't speak about the others.

Guaranteed arrival times
You need to get where you're going on time. That's why Business1 arrival times are guaranteed. If your flight arrives 30 minutes or more past the scheduled arrival time, regardless of reason, we'll give you 500 Redeemable Miles*. To participate in this bonus offer, you must be registered within seven days of your flight.
Does this guarantee include the numerous flights they cancel due to "mechanical problems" when they don't have enough pax to fill the planes?

Complimentary newspapers and meals
United First® and Economy Plus® passengers can enjoy complimentary newspapers on flights departing at or before 10am, Monday through Friday. A complimentary meal is now being served in United First during meal times on all Business1 flights, except Minneapolis.
I've been getting newspapers on these flights (off and on) for some time and I don't think this is any change to the meal policy.

And, as on every United flight, our most frequent customers can stretch out in comfort with up to five extra inches of legroom in our Economy Plus section, if available.
This is news?

All in all, a big huge yawn. Sorry UAL, gotta do better than this!
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:17 pm
Suspended

...deleted b/c i'm a moron...

Last edited by BenjaminNYC; Jun 14, 05 at 1:28 pm
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:20 pm

Tough crowd! Damn'd if you do....Damn'd if you don't.
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this:

Complimentary newspapers and mealsYou'll be both entertained and informed with complimentary newspapers on morning flights. United will provide a selection of local and business newspapers on flights departing at or before 10am, Monday-Friday. A complimentary meal will also be served during meal times in United First® on Business1SM flights, except to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

A meal on ALL these flights? Even at non meal times? This is something new. A 10am LGA-ORD flight ususally does not have a meal in F (I think).
I'm confused by your question. The part you quote says "will also be served during meal times". Doesn't say anything about non-meal times.
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this:

Complimentary newspapers and mealsYou'll be both entertained and informed with complimentary newspapers on morning flights. United will provide a selection of local and business newspapers on flights departing at or before 10am, Monday-Friday. A complimentary meal will also be served during meal times in United First® on Business1SM flights, except to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

A meal on ALL these flights? Even at non meal times? This is something new. A 10am LGA-ORD flight ususally does not have a meal in F (I think).
I read it like that initially, but it says "complimentary meal will also be served during meal times". I'm not sure how this is better than before, since I thought all "meal time flights" got a meal. (duh).
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
I'm confused by your question. The part you quote says "will also be served during meal times". Doesn't say anything about non-meal times.
OOPS!
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well with everyone cutting meals - even in First - I guess UA is trying to tell folks flying competitor airlines that UA still serves meals in First, even on shorthaul flights.

And with the destinations being served, this announcement and program seems to be aimed at folks flying AA (DFW/BOS), CO (EWR), NW (MSP) and US (PHL/DCA) far more then it is at folks who fly UA already. So expect it to roll out to ATL (DL) and DTW (NW) soon.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Jun 14, 05 at 6:14 pm
Old Jun 14, 05, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Here is the full T&C's in case you haven't got the email yet, I also added my own thoughts.
*BUSINESS1 RELIABILITY GUARANTEE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Offer valid for travel between 6/14/05 and 12/31/05.
Seems it is only until the end of the year. I imagine if the project proves itself, they will continue.
Registration required by 12/31/05 at united.com/business1.

Registration required within 7 days of travel date to be
eligible for this offer.

Registration required only one time.

Valid only on flights operated by United and United
Express(R), and not on Ted(SM), or on United marketed
code share flights operated by other carriers.

Offer valid for travel on qualified paid, published
fares only.
No dice on award tickets/codeshares etc.
Offer is valid only on the following non-stop flights
between Chicago O'Hare (ORD) and: Boston Logan (BOS),
Washington D.C. Reagan (DCA), Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW),
Newark (EWR), New York LaGuardia (LGA),
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP), or Philadelphia (PHL).
I read this as connecting flights count, but you must have a nonstop flight between those city pairs on your itin. I think it can be summarised as "if your BP has ORD-BOS/DCA/DFW/EWR/LGA/MSP or vv on it, you are elligible.

Also interesting that IAD is excluded
Customers will earn 500 Redeemable Miles when traveling
on eligible Business1 flights if a flight arrives 30
minutes or more late after the scheduled arrival time to
the destination gate, including cancellations that occur
within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time. In the
case of a flight cancellation, customer must complete
travel on the same day or next day, and excludes travel
re-routed through another city or on another carrier.
Is this an incentive not to jump to the first AA flight if there is a problem and "double dip" on the miles?
Bonus miles do not count towards elite status. Bonus is
in addition to paid flight miles and any applicable elite
or class-of-service bonus.

Please allow up to 4 weeks from date of qualifying flight
for bonus miles to be posted to your Mileage Plus account.

Passenger must be a member of Mileage Plus and Mileage Plus
number must be present in the passenger name record.

E-ticket required.

Flights must be credited to the passenger's Mileage Plus(R)
account in order to qualify.
Boilerplate
Offer may be earned an unlimited number of times.
I bet some frequent ORD flyers will make some decent miles out of this
Offer is combinable with other offers. Offer subject to
change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Tickets purchased through United reservation offices are
$5 per ticket higher and tickets purchased at airport
ticket counters are $10 per ticket higher. Fares purchased
through other distribution channels may also be higher.
It looks like they just stuck most of the regular T&C's in...I can't see how ticketing charges are relevant to this promotion.
Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject
to the rules of the United Mileage Plus program. United,
its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible
for any products and services of other participating
companies and partners. The Mileage Plus Program, including
accruals, awards and bonus miles offers, is subject to
change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award
travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and
Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete
details about the Mileage Plus program, visit
united.com. (MPGC45)
Boilerplate again.

Looks like a pretty simple promotion. None of that round trip nonsense, etc. I am interested to see if connecting flights count, as the wording implies that if a flight between those city pairs is delayed, you will be compensated--regardless of your origin or final destination.

Search this Thread