Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Iris Peterson: 59 Years As A UA Flight Attendant (and still flying!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iris Peterson: 59 Years As A UA Flight Attendant (and still flying!)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:19 pm

Do do realize we are talking about flight attendants not firemen

I only expect a flight attendant to point the way to the exit. I doubt there are going to be too many attendants that carry 200 lb men on their back regarless if the flight attendant is young or old.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CLELOSER

I only expect a flight attendant to point the way to the exit. I doubt there are going to be too many attendants that carry 200 lb men on their back regardless if the flight attendant is young or old.
A few of the ummm 'larger' mommas that often crew the oz transcons would be contenders. @:-)

One I saw this year would cope with Arnie pretty easily is my guess.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:07 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
On flight from SFO to SYD last week, FA told me that with all the salary cuts, she now brings home $800 a month and she's got 30 years with UA. Working primarily to keep the medical insurance benfits (which she pays for, but cheaper than if not working).

And in terms of safety, never forget it was the cute little Singapore girls who were first off the airliner that crashed. They didn't stick around to help people off.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Today I overheard a few FAs in F bantering on about Iris. ...
They all laughed and agreed that Iris should call it a career and retire.
I recently heard some FA's talking about "No. 1" retiring. Not sure if she has already retired or will be retiring in the very near future.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, KE, OZ Hyatt Platinum, Int Ambassador,
This is one lady who must have seen it all.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:06 am

Im a UA flight attendant and have worked with Iris numerous times. Frankly, the entire crew props her up and has to look out for her throughout the entire flight. I dont expect the passengers to know this and many who speak of Iris "on the line" have never actually worked with her. Im not a big fan of being understaffed and not paid for it.

Frankly, one of the only reasons I can see for the lack of manditory retirement in US is the "avoidance issue". Airlines and the FAA seem to work hand-in-hand avoiding the issue of our manditory retirement....

If our retirement was validated it may require a closer look at our retirement PLANS and BENEFITS. Instead, it seems easier for both parties to overlook the obvious need for mandatory retirement and save $$ in the process.

Who benefits? Certainly not the passenger. Canadian crew, I believe, are required to retire at the age of 60. Any FT'ers know if this is true?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
On flight from SFO to SYD last week, FA told me that with all the salary cuts, she now brings home $800 a month and she's got 30 years with UA. Working primarily to keep the medical insurance benfits (which she pays for, but cheaper than if not working).

And in terms of safety, never forget it was the cute little Singapore girls who were first off the airliner that crashed. They didn't stick around to help people off.

Sorry to be blunt, but she is a liar. Things are bad, but not that bad. Perhaps she tends to drop 2 of her 3 SYD trips per month. Having only one may leave her with this. Seniority tends to bring a more narrow view in perspective, as this is one of the MOST senior trip in SFO if not the entire company. Please talk to the people who started in 1977 and are still on reserve! (ie Seattle)
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Cabin defense training for flight attendants? There is no such mandatory training.
YES, actually...there WAS, until it was made VOLUNTARY. We called it DS1 and DS2.

Cost cuts.

It is now available for those interested in cities country-wide.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
there was a story on this training on ABC News last week. Something like 2% or fewer of FA's had taken it. One of the issues is while the class is free, the FA is required to pay own travel/lodging/incidentals associated with taking the class. At least that was what the news report said.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Axey
Was TexasFlyer wrong?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperClub

Who benefits? Certainly not the passenger. Canadian crew, I believe, are required to retire at the age of 60. Any FT'ers know if this is true?
No idea - others might.

I do recall reading however that all US flight deck members must retire at a set age (60 or 65 IIRC?) regardless of fitness or experience.

It most certainly should also apply to FA's.

Those flying grannies are the absolute number #1 reason UA loses a ton of discretionary business on long haul.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
No idea - others might.

I do recall reading however that all US flight deck members must retire at a set age (60 or 65 IIRC?) regardless of fitness or experience.

It most certainly should also apply to FA's.

Those flying grannies are the absolute number #1 reason UA loses a ton of discretionary business on long haul.
Currently, the retirement age for flight deck crew is 60. However, the FAA raise that age to 65, as the ICAO is doing that on November 23. At the end of September, the FAA started investigating whether the US would also raise the age limit. According to the last article I read, ALPA is opposing this change. As it stands now, a foreign pilots older than 60 may fly into the United States as a co-pilot. When the ICAO change takes effect, foreign pilots will be able to fly in the United States up to age 65, as long as they’re accompanied by a co-pilot under 60 and they undergo medical testing every six months.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15035396/
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:11 am

I'm sure a lot of the 'grannies' would love to retire....but they took their pension away. Yeah, THAT.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Was TexasFlyer wrong?
Only in so much as that FA's are there for my SERVICE, and that's what matters.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:29 am
Suspended

What a class act to tell you her (incorrect) salary while on duty, serving you.

Who cares? I want top notich service. I can find the exit myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.