Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond

I was on a flight the other day when more than half of the plane had 'elite' status with UA. Boarding group 1 was awful. Does anyone else think 2Ps should be given their very own boarding group- #2? Then all others without 'elite' status could be assigned Groups 3 - 5. No offense to the premiers, but since every 1K was given the opportunity to gift 2P status - that status level is unfortunately not so 'elite' these days.

There will still be overhead space for all 'elites', but by separating the 'elites' into 2 zones it would greatly decrease the choas at the gate. In all fairness - no one seems to enforce the boarding zones anyway.

ps - I think premiers are great - I am dating one
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
"Every" 1K wasn't able to or did gift 2P status. Some were if they flew over 125k miles...and even then there was an option to use the excess for themselves (don't remember the exact details). I think the flight you were on was an exception rather than the general rule. I have not noticed anything abnormal in that regard on any flight I've taken this year. I'm sure that almost every weekday UA has a few flights like that with an overpopulation of elites on board, but definitely not enough to warrant a policy change.

Let the 2P's have their fun too!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
It gets worse at the end of the year. In December 2004 the gate agent for the LAX-IAD run announced that since 89 of the ~120 people on the flight were in seating 1, they were going to board by rows within the groups. I think it was a good call, and probably something that needs to be done on a lot of 2P/1P/1K heavy routes.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Let the 2P's have their fun too!
Agree. What UA really needs is to stop boarding First Class and Zone 1 at the same time!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the correction about every 1K - I forgot there was the 125K mile requirement.

I guess SFO-SEA, SFO-LAX and SFO-DEN and vice versa are just generally 'elite-heavy'. The boarding process just seems to be a nightmare this year.

Again, no offense meant to 2Ps - they are absolutely helping keep UA in the air!! ^
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by auh2o
Agree. What UA really needs is to stop boarding First Class and Zone 1 at the same time!
Agreed (on the flights that I am lucky enough to clear the upgrade list )
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by auh2o
When and where is this done? I usually see excellent enforcement of separation between premium cabins and group 1.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It's hit and miss. Some of them do a good job of separating and some don't. I get annoyed when they announce zone 1 and then 5 seconds later say zone 2 when there is a big line of zone 1 people and the zone 2ers are crowding the area and then move right in.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
When and where is this done? I usually see excellent enforcement of separation between premium cabins and group 1.
It is actually being done more often than not, and I agree there should be some breathing room between the first class boarding and area 1.

I think we should remember though that the whole boarding area thing was not meant to reward or punish anyone. It was meant to speed boarding. Giving first class and UGS people priority makes sense I guess, but after that is should be by area only. It seems like the issue isn't seating, it is on board luggage storage. If they would address that a little better than they are, the area boarding thing might work better.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What I hate is when they announce, "We would like to welcome our First Class, Global Services, 100k mile fliers, Premier Executives, Premiers, Star Alliance Silver and Gold, US Chairman's and Chairman's Preferred, and all rows to board at this time." (generally a UX thing)

Why even spell them all out if it's going to be a free-for-all zoo boarding?

Actually, on most mainline flights I've had the past couple of years, it's been rare to board F at a different time from C or the elites, although I have heard them more often call for elites and THEN seating 1 (as if the GA is going to stare at a yellow BP for the elite level to differentiate it from the other zone 1 pax)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
This is a move that AA has rolled out earlier this year and I believe led to a more organized boarding.

At AA the F cabin boards first, then the 100k and 50k flyers, then Group 1 (only 25k flyers) and then the following groups.

Don't find Ok to downgrade 25k to Group 2, seems cheap, but it'd be nice to limit the size of Group 1 by an early-call of 100k and 50k flyers - no one would be upset.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by pb9997
This is a move that AA has rolled out earlier this year and I believe led to a more organized boarding.

At AA the F cabin boards first, then the 100k and 50k flyers, then Group 1 (only 25k flyers) and then the following groups.

Don't find Ok to downgrade 25k to Group 2, seems cheap, but it'd be nice to limit the size of Group 1 by an early-call of 100k and 50k flyers - no one would be upset.
I think it's time to write a letter to United Airlines regarding this issue. Perhaps if enough of us top elites write, UA will change the borading process to allow 1K and 1P to board ahead of 2P and GM's.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:53 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Motion122
I think it's time to write a letter to United Airlines regarding this issue. Perhaps if enough of us top elites write, UA will change the borading process to allow 1K and 1P to board ahead of 2P and GM's.
Careful...once such a precedent is set, perhaps if enough GS members write, UA will change the boarding process to kick 1K and 1P to the back with the lowly 2Ps again.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Mar 29, 2005 at 4:55 pm
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Careful...once such a precedent is set, perhaps if enough GS members write, UA will change the boarding process to kick 1K and 1P to the back with the lowly 2Ps again.
GS already board with F, apparently there aren't that many so F pax aren't upset.

Fact is Group 1 (UA and former AA) is absolutely a zoo - there's nothing Premier about boarding with everyone else but Aunt Ammie who gawks at the frantic Group1 elite pax all of them elbowing themselves to make their way to the plane.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
GS already gets to board at anytime though. I cant imagine they would care when 1K, 1P or 2Ps board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.