Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Too many elites - Not enough boarding groups

Old Mar 30, 05, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
This is what they should REALLY do:

1st.) E-, from back to front. E- pax CANNOT put bags in E+ bins-ENFORCED.
2nd.) E+, from back to front. E+ pax CANNOT put bags in C or F bins-ENFORCED.
3rd.) C. C pax CANNOT put bags in F bins-ENFORCED
4th.) F.

If this were all completly enforced, then there would be no need to any status boarding. Since there would be enforcements of each of the four cabins, then there would likely be room for all Elites. Most Elites would be in E+, and would be OK anyway.

I would be happy to stay in the lounge and not bother with pre-boarding, if I were in E+ or a premium cabin, if I didn't have to worry about overhead space.
This is the best way to address the problem - even if it involves hiring a few more ground staff to enforce the bin above your seat.

Board from the rear forward and make sure pax using bins near their seats. It's a known fact that **most** non-elite's can be quite slow with boarding.

Most if not all Premium pax [IE Profit] would rather spend more time in the lounges then on the aircraft.
Old Mar 30, 05, 3:44 am

Programs: MP Platinum
NRT has two lines for loading, one for C/F/UGS (I think that is right) and one for 1/2/3/4. It is nice to leave the lounge at boarding time and walk right onto the flight without waiting in the Y line.

Of course this also takes people, and I bet there are 6 or more people working the gate to load that 747 quickly. But those wide body twin aisle flights appear to have enough bin space. Also flights with lots of families/children tend to do ok on bin space since each kid takes a seat, but usually shares a checked bag.

So as I see it, narrow body planes with lots of single business travelers are the largest issue, and those are likely to be packed with elites, and they want to run off the plane to a cab, so they don't check the bag.

Is dismal checked bag service the REAL problem? Address that and the rest of the issues go away?
Old Mar 30, 05, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by yogi
NRT has two lines for loading, one for C/F/UGS (I think that is right) and one for 1/2/3/4. It is nice to leave the lounge at boarding time and walk right onto the flight without waiting in the Y line.
They board C/F/UGS/* Gold at the same time. There are two bridges though, one for F/C and one for Y and you go to which you are ticketed. Does make it easier.

Originally Posted by yogi
Is dismal checked bag service the REAL problem? Address that and the rest of the issues go away?
Yes it is. I was in C and am 1K with priority tags and I was among the last of a 1/2 full 744 coming from NRT to get my bag yesterday. I do hate checking bags and I knew I should not have done it. Bad judgement call at NRT.
Old Mar 30, 05, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by p1cunnin
(I really wish UA would eliminate the wall divider between F and Y...)
Please NO! The LAST thing we need is less destinction between F and Y. UA is trying to convince people to pay for F now, so they're trying to make it better. No divider just cheapens it IMHO.
Old Mar 30, 05, 5:46 am

Programs: MP Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
They board C/F/UGS/* Gold at the same time. There are two bridges though, one for F/C and one for Y and you go to which you are ticketed. Does make it easier.
More than two bridges, two whole separate lines at the podium. At most places of you miss the early call you are mixed in the crowd. Not at NRT, you can walk up anytime and bypass everyone in line waiting to give their ticket. This was for UA891. I think they did the same thing going the other way at LAX for UA890.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: